Future of Nokia Drive?

Dave_97865

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone knows when Nokia Drive might come out of "Beta", and why is it called Beta now when it seems to work fine? (I have verizon, Lumia 822)

When I say it works fine, there are some features that would be nice, such as the ability to adjust your routes while looking at the map and satellite overlays. Does anyone know if there is any way to get these basic features that are avialable on every other phone, or if MS or Nokia have any such plans????

Drive seems to be just a basic GPS navigation system with no bells and whistles, unless maybe they are hidden somewhere?

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I've wondered the same thing myself.
I don't understand what the "beta" tag is there for. Everything in there is solid but I can say that I've been pretty disappointed with Nokia Drive. I think its UI is great but the lack of features is pretty pathetic.
I'm hoping that Nokia will actually bring huge updates to Drive along with Maps.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I would say you've both answered your own question. It's Beta, because the end user experience isn't finalized, and they are still adding/tweaking things.

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I would say you've both answered your own question. It's Beta, because the end user experience isn't finalized, and they are still adding/tweaking things.

So really it should be Nokia Drive + Alpha if they are still adding things. :)
Beta is feature complete and squashing out bugs.
I don't think we really answered our own questions.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So really it should be Nokia Drive + Alpha if they are still adding things. :)
Beta is feature complete and squashing out bugs.
I don't think we really answered our own questions.
Except the word Beta is not a specifically defined/standardized term. In general connotation, it solely means "we ain't done yet." :D

Dave_97865

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to complain, but I'm gonna go ahead and do that, and sound foolish here... I actually asked 3 cell phone guys if the GPS on WP phone had all the features like satellite overlay and everything else my previous Android phone did, and I had to trust them when they said "yeah, sure whatever," since I couldn't really test the nav app in the store. I figured since Ms had Bing maps, and they are totally capable of it, that they'd have the same features. I know this is just marketing/manipulation, not something they can't immediately release. Honestly, if I'd had the truth in advance it would have been a deal killer for me.

In hindsight, I'm happy with this phone. All the other features in WP definitely outweigh this issue.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I've wondered the same thing myself.
I don't understand what the "beta" tag is there for. Everything in there is solid but I can say that I've been pretty disappointed with Nokia Drive. I think its UI is great but the lack of features is pretty pathetic.
I'm hoping that Nokia will actually bring huge updates to Drive along with Maps.
Well, it is a free service offered by Nokia to Nokia users. If you find it pathetic, why not just splurge and purchase a navigation app?

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't mean to complain, but I'm gonna go ahead and do that, and sound foolish here... I actually asked 3 cell phone guys if the GPS on WP phone had all the features like satellite overlay and everything else my previous Android phone did, and I had to trust them when they said "yeah, sure whatever," since I couldn't really test the nav app in the store. I figured since Ms had Bing maps, and they are totally capable of it, that they'd have the same features. I know this is just marketing/manipulation, not something they can't immediately release. Honestly, if I'd had the truth in advance it would have been a deal killer for me.

In hindsight, I'm happy with this phone. All the other features in WP definitely outweigh this issue.

But you said it would have been a deal breaker had you known - were you not able to determine that this was not the GPS functionality you required within the return period for the phone?

Dave_97865

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Residing, I'm happy with the phone, but before I knew how great the phone is, sub par mapping/gps would have turned it into a deal killer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes