Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

I may be something of an anomaly, but I have never been on Facebook or Instagram. So I have no need for those apps and they are the ones a lot of people seem to miss.

Not a big app man, had Android for 28 months, did not buy a single app. Tried a few, not many though. The ads all over them drove me potty. I also did not trust the payment systems.

With this phone I have bought numerous games, all ones with achievements so far just about. Also bought the WPC app, love it. As for lack of apps, genuinely not noticed.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Gamertag: peachy001

Let's not forget the following. For example, Nokia included in its smartphone/mobile a feature called VoiceHD. Here in the UK is for example supported by 3 Networks and others. Well, since I got an e72 and afterwards the N8 I could call and communicate with HD voice. This feature (similar one) had been only recently introduced by Apple, on iPhone5. So, Nokia had used this feature for years and Apple only now. Think about it, first of all you buy a phone because it is a phone and something like VoiceHD is not included in such a high end Apple product? And they call Apple an innovator? WIth Android you have tons of apps, fine. But hey there are tons of apps for Windows Phones as well. I think getting a Nokia is also a great choice. Offline navigational maps (worldwide) and many other exclusive apps, IP of Nokia.
    So I'm definitely not concerned about the WP8 app count, and we can keep counting as the number is increasing steadily. I can tell you I have more than all the apps I need. Most of the times, instead of having a choice of 10 I have 2 or 3. And usually are the best ones, so I don't bother. Many times you can also get around the non having an app.

Again, there are sooo many apps! I'm not concerned at all. What I'm concerned is how monopolistic has google become against microsoft! Bad moves that show the real face of Google.

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts
    Quality vs quantity. There are a handful of apps I'd still like to see make the switch to Windows Phone from either iOS or Android. But I think we should focus whether or not the apps we do share with them are on par or better.
    Sam Sabri
    Managing Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email - sam@wpcentral.com
    Twitter - samsabri
    Instagram - samsabri
    Twitch - GeneralSham
    Xbox Live - GeneralSham

I just want to see my bank create an app for WP platform once done, I'm happy...I have everything I need on WP so the App collection doesn't bother me, seems to have everything I need minus the banking app which I hope is coming soon :)

Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s_a_r_k_i_s View Post
    I just want to see my bank create an app for WP platform once done, I'm happy...I have everything I need on WP so the App collection doesn't bother me, seems to have everything I need minus the banking app which I hope is coming soon :)
    I wish B of A would fix their app, it bugs out when doing mobile deposits sometimes on wp8.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quality is needed...I carry three OS' with me for work and there are definite differences in quality from what we have and what the other OS' have.

In the UK 3 Networks has an All you can eat plan..

I need a banking app too.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Gamertag: peachy001
    David Tomilson likes this.
    I got all the apps I need so I'm pretty satisfied.

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    It would be fine to only have 500 apps, if they were the 500 apps that people actually wanted.
    When the iPhone store really took off and people were downloading apps like crazy, a report was given that the average lifespan of an iPhone app was around 12 minutes.
    So, who cares if there are 52030498230 apps available if you only use 6?
    The big issue is whether the apps that you want are available or not.
    JJ
    Louis Lau likes this.

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    No, not at all.
    It only bothered my a little when I bought my HD7. At the time there were under 50,000 apps in the marketplace. (that's what they used to call the store) Now, it only bothers me when I read Verge reviews of WP8 devices. I went with WP in the first place because of out of the box functionality I wanted. It never was and still isn't about apps for me.

Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts
    Apps are nice, but the phone itself works so well it makes up for the lack imo
    Thanked by:

Count me in! Personally, I'm not concerned by the WP8 app count at all.
    one of the reasons might be my tendency to be flexible enough to not wish for EXACTLY THE SAME experience when switching the OS. Like, App "abc" not there? Hey, use "def". not the same experience? So what? 1st world problem ...
    Happy WP user :P

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Of course I want more apps. It's annoying not having all the apps my android and iOS friends have. It wasn't enough to deter me from windows phone, but it certainly could be better.

Im new to windows phone and the first thing you notice going into the app market is a big lack of first party apps on the first scroll as i would call it. On the iphone you can scroll 3 or 4 times before hitting the unknowns. Android is usually the second scroll and wp you don't even have to scroll most of the time. It isn't the number off apps particularly, if we had 150,000 quality's apps and nothing else it would be overkill and we would be better than ios or android. You need enough to satisfy a spectrum of people, that's why you need more than we have even if its not 300,000 or 600,000.
    Last edited by barne19801; 01-06-2013 at 01:08 PM.

App Count = 98% kiddie noob apps + 2% significant good qualtiy apps

if there are just those 2% accessable I am completly fulfilled.

So I don't and never did care about count of apps.

Just search for facebook, flashligght or soundboard etc and you will find 70+ apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by barne19801 View Post
    Im new to windows phone and the first thing you notice going into the app market is a big lack of first party apps on the first scroll as i would call it. On the iphone you can scroll 3 or 4 times before hitting the unknowns. Android is usually the second scroll and wp you don't even have to scroll most of the time. It isn't the number off apps particularly, if we had 150,000 quality's apps and nothing else it would be overkill and we would be better than ios or android. You need enough to satisfy a spectrum of people, that's why you need more than we have even of its not 300,000 or 600,000.
    This is an excellent point in favor of the app count argument. I have a cousin who works on smartphone apps for the company he works for (IOS division. They have separate small teams for each OS) and he told me they are "looking into" developing an app for WP8. They've already got an Android 4.2 optimized app (and one for gingerbread) and "aren't bothering" with blackberry. At least we aren't the bottom of the barrel anymore, but still fairly back-of-the-bus. :|

In the near future they will be able to port more apps from iOS and android and reminder when apple phones came out there wasn't a lot of apps too. Also I do agree that Quality is better over quantity. Things take time to thrive.
    Sure, I could use some key apps for my Windows Phone 8 Lumia 920. VLC is on the way and Pidgin is working on an RT client - maybe they will port that to WP? :)

Global Posts
    1,680 Global Posts
    Same discussions went on over at the WebOS board. There are many out there that use the app count as a reason to choose an OS. My nieghbor was one of them. Every week she'd be showing me some new app she downloaded. "It is sooo cool." After a few months I pointed out to her there is no way she could be using all these apps she found; there weren't enough hours in the day. Not sure she understood. Anyways, there will always be a few out there that like a large app count. However, I think the majority aren't looking at the numbers.

Not realy bothered by it. I only miss instagram just because I have an account in it and probably vlc player which might be coming soon
    I personally think it a pathetic argument for someone to chose android/iPhone purely because of how many apps there are in their stores. Most of them a **** quality anyways that crash and /or freeze your phone, and what with androids track record for maleware and hacking . . . .
    Besides which Marketplace for Microsoft is getting more and more apps by the day. It already has something like 60,000, I bet android didn't have as many at 2 year old. And also the apps on marketplace generally are of a higher quality. Besides all that i don't know of any app on any app store that can genuinely make of break a phone. A lot of them are useless.

Global Posts
    1,763 Global Posts
    Remember a time when there were no apps at all? There were games and that's about it. The Apple came kicking a huge storm of this alien idea of "Apps". Cut to today. I have a FLAGSHIP Motorola DROID RAZR. I use abuot 4 apps in total that can be counted on finger tips.

1. Currency Converter
    2. Dictionary
    3. Twitter
    4. What'sApp
    5. Flipboard

And iReader for books sometimes. That's about it. Like the OP very very rightly said "I just want the phone to make my life easier, not take over my life." That is precisely my point of view.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Even if you don't want apps, you still want them in your ecosystem for one simple reason: Other people want to have these apps.

Now, why would you care about people you have never met, hipsters who you couldn't care less about? You simply don't. But you care about your system, about your OS, about services and features and updates. And all of this will be better and come faster, if more people buy into the system.

Do I need a Facebook app with all the features and functions? No I don't, I'm not on Facebook. Do I need a Pandora app? I don't even know what it is doing. Do I need Instagram? I find this 'make your picture worse and share them with people who don't really care'-thing the most stupid idea ever. But do I want these apps on Windows Phone? Yes, I do so very much, for the above reason.
    socialcarpet likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast