Google Maps on Windows Phone Disabled?

SergeMcG

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Everybody get their own domain name! Sooner or later the war of these titans will reach our door. Better have our own domain name and switch to other providers in case they will ask us to pay anything. In my opinion, like for google apps, Google is using bait and switch techniques.
Anyway, i don't miss google maps. Only if someone sends me a link referring to google maps location otherwise for everything else Nokia Maps is much better!

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
So one day after the Government antitrust case is over with just a slap on the wrist, Google now feels that they can continue their antitrust behavior.

How is this an antitrust issue ?

Should google, apple, and microsoft have to provide source code, apis, sdks and full access to all their code and services ?
Should all companies be required to also ?

I hope you can see the point.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Everybody get their own domain name! Sooner or later the war of these titans will reach our door. Better have our own domain name and switch to other providers in case they will ask us to pay anything. In my opinion, like for google apps, Google is using bait and switch techniques.
Anyway, i don't miss google maps. Only if someone sends me a link referring to google maps location otherwise for everything else Nokia Maps is much better!

The proper way to send mapping, location, or track information is in kml, gpx, waypoints , etc. - along with the os being smart enough to provide YOU with a choice of applications to open the information with.

Links, urls, and similar are bad practices, and not something usable in the near future if xyz company changes protocols.

encourage your friends to use savable data in the future.

bbqrooster

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
How is this an antitrust issue ?

Should google, apple, and microsoft have to provide source code, apis, sdks and full access to all their code and services ?
Should all companies be required to also ?

I hope you can see the point.

LOL, yes, Microsoft has to provide all API and SDK to everybody. Microsoft has to allow Chrome browser on the Windows platform, no? Have you been out of the loop for the past 10 years on all of these things? But this has nothing to do with this case as Microsoft is not asking Google to provide API or SDK. Let me put it this way. If Microsoft does the same thing to Android phone (like no access to exchange), is it an antitrust issue? If Facebook comes out with a Facebook phone and denies all access of Facebook to Android user, do you feel the same way? If this disease spreads to every company, what do you say about this balkanization? The web is not built to be like this. I hope you see your partisan way.

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Could you define "competing websites" for folks please, or does that mean any/all sources other than wpcentral ?

From the forum rules:

[INFO]• Story Linking - Please link all Windows Phone related stories to the Windows Phone Central blog. We reserve the right to remove links to posts or close threads linking to articles similar to those published here. In addition, do not copy and paste stories in their entirety. Writers (from all sites) work hard, and deserve proper credit.[/INFO]

Besides our writers are the best why would you want to lint to any other article?

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Everybody knows Google maps has never worked in mobile IE, right? RIGHT? I know because I forget all the time and try to load maps.google.com, and it's never worked. Ever.

Seriously, folks.

I can only speak for the last month, because that's about how long I've owned my Lumia, but Google Maps has never worked in IE for me.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
From the forum rules:

[INFO]? Story Linking - Please link all Windows Phone related stories to the Windows Phone Central blog. We reserve the right to remove links to posts or close threads linking to articles similar to those published here. In addition, do not copy and paste stories in their entirety. Writers (from all sites) work hard, and deserve proper credit.[/INFO]

Besides our writers are the best why would you want to lint to any other article?

Sorry but sometimes you guys are slow to report certain news and we deserve the right to discuss them as they happen.

If a competing site reports news that has yet to be reported here, I don't see the big deal in using them as a source in the interim (which is what happened here) to get the debate rolling.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
LOL, yes, Microsoft has to provide all API and SDK to everybody. Microsoft has to allow Chrome browser on the Windows platform, no? Have you been out of the loop for the past 10 years on all of these things? But this has nothing to do with this case as Microsoft is not asking Google to provide API or SDK. Let me put it this way. If Microsoft does the same thing to Android phone (like no access to exchange), is it an antitrust issue? If Facebook comes out with a Facebook phone and denies all access to Facebook to Android user, do you feel the same way? If this disease spreads to every company, what do you say about this balkanization? The web is not built to be like this. I hope you see your partisan way.

I have zero problems with one company denying access to its services, software, sdks, source code to other companies, or their products. Facebook can close off any/all platforms they choose from accessing their servers and information, this would not bother me in the least. If that was a service I used, I would look elsewhere for services.

Having used linux for years, I'm very accustomed to this kind of stonewalling, and shopped for brands/softwares/services that provided me with access, as needed. Sometimes, this meant using a different os for very specific tasks, via emulation.

My (very limited, possibly wrong) understanding is that limiting access to all -except- ones own platform is where antitrust comes in.

This looks to me to be a very lucrative market (a gift from google?) someone could exploit on the wp platform.... maybe it will happen ?

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Well this is the last straw for me. This morning, I closed my Google+ Profile, my normal Google profile and all associated data I possibly could with all the other google services without completely closing my account. The only reason I didn't cancel my entire account is YouTube. I switched my default search engines to Bing and when my phone gets back from warranty, the gMaps pro app and google search will not be reinstalled.

Goodbye Google.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Sorry but sometimes you guys are slow to report certain news and we deserve the right to discuss them as they happen.

If a competing site reports news that has yet to be reported here, I don't see the big deal in using them as a source in the interim (which is what happened here) to get the debate rolling.

I agree 100% but in this thread I removed the link from the OP before it was quoted and the OP changed it back. WPC had this story up front and was denied the discussion. This is the WPC forums if we have the article posted shouldn't we have the right to discuss our article first?

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree 100% but in this thread I removed the link from the OP be for it was quoted and the OP changed it back. WPC had this story up front and was denied the discussion. This is the WPC forums if we have the article posted shouldn't we have the right to discuss our article first?

by that logic, no news gets discussed until it makes the front page ?
(Shrug, I can dig inclusion and all, but it would reallllly slow things down)
so the forum feeding off the front page, or the front page feeding off (and restricting) the forum ?

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
by that logic, no news gets discussed until it makes the front page ?
(Shrug, I can dig inclusion and all, but it would reallllly slow things down)
so the forum feeding off the front page, or the front page feeding off (and restricting) the forum ?

Hmm... Did you read what I wrote? Read it again you are not comprehending what I have stated here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism