Google Maps on Windows Phone Disabled?

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Reading comments on sites about this issue, and the previous issues such as the blocked Youtube access it's becoming apparent that Google fans are becoming similar to what they hated - Apple fans.

Reading comments about how MS is "against openness" and still thinking that Google is the saint in all of this just shows how delusional fandroids have become. They were better when they were only talking about how great the 10 cores on their phones were.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
All links to competing websites have been removed from this thread. Do not add them back.

Is Google now blocking Windows Phone from using Google Maps? | Windows Phone Central

Sorry to bend rules. It was a cross post to another forum. As a former forum admin for a tech site, I understand your position, but we will see news before the editors on a regular basis. Perhaps subbing links to the news page when you pick up the story is a good idea as you do credit the original source.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Is this place like the old Soviet Union now? You can only discuss the official state news source?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I would venture a guess that Google is not as concerned about accommodating 3% of smartphone users as Microsoft is about accommodating 75% of smartphone users. Microsoft is struggling enough as it is to gain market share; making it next to impossible for 3/4 of the market to switch would be very foolish at this point.

That's the exact same argument that some made in favor of Microsoft altering Windows to forbid Mac, Amiga and Atari ST computers from networking or file sharing. "Why accommodate the 25%?"

That resulted in the biggest anti-trust action in decades against Microsoft, incidentally.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Should google, apple, and microsoft have to provide source code, apis, sdks and full access to all their code and services ?
Should all companies be required to also ?

I hope you can see the point.

Sure, I see the point.

Here's the Google answer: When those SDKs, APIs and patents are made by Apple, Microsoft, RIM, Nokia, SonyEricsson, Siemens, etc., then Google should be able to access and steal them for Android, without paying any licensing fees at all for those companies' property, and release it to the market. Any effort by any of the players in question to seek compensation for their work from Google and its OEMs is "anticompetitive" and "anti-consumer" and "against the open web." To retaliate, Google should be entitled to actively block users of operating systems it doesn't like from accessing the Google web monopoly.

Of course, when Google has SDKs, APIs or other IP, that is Sacrosanct Private Property that nobody should be entitled to access, because it's Google's stuff and they can do what they want. And anybody who seeks to block people from accessing Google's services is an evil web-destroying tyrant who should be brought low by Net "Neutrality" legislation designed to force ISPs to subsidize Google's business model (along with the content creators and IP creators, who are expected to hand over all of their stuff -- for free -- to Google).

Such "logic" by Google strikes me as flawed and self-serving, but what do I know? I'm part of the 25% who don't use Android. :winktongue:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to bend rules. It was a cross post to another forum. As a former forum admin for a tech site, I understand your position, but we will see news before the editors on a regular basis. Perhaps subbing links to the news page when you pick up the story is a good idea as you do credit the original source.

Yes this... At times enforcing the rules can be uncomfortable, doing what is right is never hard. Our writers are the best out there if they post on a topic its because they have information to add. We want this community to have the real story. We know our writers will provide the best quality information and will update their story with any new information. If anyone cares to take a quick look around the forum you can see posted links to many stories from many websites and discussions that our staff did not cover.

Is this place like the old Soviet Union now? You can only discuss the official state news source?

Yes we are now exactly like the Soviet Union... :winktongue:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of news -- looks like Google blinked. They claim that they turned off maps because they hadn't tried it with IE 9 or IE 10. (Laughable nonsense, but still, let 'em have their fig leaf).

Google says Maps redirect on Windows Phone was a product decision, and will be removed - The Next Web

Hopefully, this little episode will build up some skepticism about Google from a tech media that's always been all-too-willing to swallow whatever bowl of codswallop that it offers them.

excellent find, google is becoming more laughable by the day.....

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of news -- looks like Google blinked. They claim that they turned off maps because they hadn't tried it with IE 9 or IE 10. (Laughable nonsense, but still, let 'em have their fig leaf).

Google says Maps redirect on Windows Phone was a product decision, and will be removed - The Next Web

Hopefully, this little episode will build up some skepticism about Google from a tech media that's always been all-too-willing to swallow whatever bowl of codswallop that it offers them.
funny how they just tested it and say oh it works fine on ie10 lol

E36M3TS

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear Google appears to be rethinking this, though still frustrating. I just picked up my HTC 8x a few days ago, 1 month after switching my laptop to Win 8. I had been on a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx (prior to that I had a Blackberry Tour). The reason I switched is that Android was SO BUGGY! I was using all of Googles apps regularly, but they constantly crashed, lagged, and froze. Even Chrome for Android wouldn't run for crap and it was THEIR OWN SOFTWARE.

Long story short, I finally couldn't take it any more and switched over to WP8. As someone who has owned and used Blackberry, Android and now WP8, I LOVE WP8. It really is the best OS on the market IMO. However, had Google not dropped the ball in making Android functional, I would not have changed.

bbqrooster

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Although Google backed down this time. But don't be so happy. Knowing Google's evil way, they'll tweak the Google site, make it not compatible with mobile IE10 and then shut down the link claiming mobile IE10 does not work. The only way to permanently remove this threat is to totally remove yourself from Google services although some people might not be able to. Microsoft and Nokia need to step up to make Bing/Nokia Maps equal or better than Google Maps, and make Bing a worldwide search alternative to Google search.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Google got caught in a lie, this time, but I'd not be surprised if an "update" to their stuff was built not to work with IE... with Google saying "IE doesn't support advanced functionality for our new experience."

This is a little reprieve to get yourself out of the Google Ghetto before the gate slams closed again.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Google got caught in a lie, this time, but I'd not be surprised if an "update" to their stuff was built not to work with IE... with Google saying "IE doesn't support advanced functionality for our new experience."

This is a little reprieve to get yourself out of the Google Ghetto before the gate slams closed again.

I'm still waiting for the Microsoft account renaming feature to come back :(

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Plenty of people have legacy data, like saved points of interest, locked inside the Google Ghetto. Time to break 'em free, before they go gulag again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3