Google Maps on Windows Phone Disabled?

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Whoa.

h4rm0ny's reply:
Further update. I opened up Firefox and I changed the User Agent String to be that of a Nokia Lumia running IE10. Google maps then became inaccessible. It was accessible normally. (Original platform before faking a phone was Firefox on Windows 8 Pro).
If anyone wants to try replicating this, use the following User Agent String:
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows Phone 8.0; Trident/6.0; ARM; Touch; IEMobile/10.0; Nokia; Lumia810)​
So that confirms that Google are deliberately blocking browser access to maps on WP devices.

Last edited by a moderator:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Whoa.
h4rm0ny's reply:
Further update. I opened up Firefox and I changed the User Agent String to be that of a Nokia Lumia running IE10. Google maps then became inaccessible. It was accessible normally. (Original platform before faking a phone was Firefox on Windows 8 Pro).
If anyone wants to try replicating this, use the following User Agent String:
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows Phone 8.0; Trident/6.0; ARM; Touch; IEMobile/10.0; Nokia; Lumia810)​
So that confirms that Google are deliberately blocking browser access to maps on WP devices.

Google showing their true colours. I hope there is some legal action taken over this.

nokiafan99

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Google is scared of new Windows 8... you can not access maps.google.com using IE10

It seems google is scared of new windows phone 8... seriously??

Check this link out : Is Google now blocking Windows Phone from using Google Maps? | Windows Phone Central

You can't access maps.google.com using the IE10 browser on your windows 8 phone... shame on google.

Sorry about the typo in the title... One cannot access maps.google.com through IE10 on windows phone 8

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google is scared of new Windows 8... you can access maps.google.com using IE10

You can get to it by switching the browser into desktop mode, but it really works like crap and it's not really anyone's fault. What happens is it becomes ambiguous as to whether pinch-to-zoom should target the page itself or the map, since the site isn't designed for pinch-to-zoom or such a small screen. The symptom is you pinch-zoom to make the map portion of the screen larger, and then you're screwed because once the map fills the screen, all zooming and moving actions are consumed by the map, you can no longer move to any part of the page.

-E

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Holy crap, Google. From what I have been reading this is intentional since people who change the agent strings in their various browsers to emulate IE10 mobile and Nokia Express are getting redirected. Google is such a dink.

Been contemplating my next phone for some time, but now I know what not to use.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
For me it doesn't work in either desktop or mobile mode and the fact it just immediately redirects to the google homepage means google is likely just doing it deliberately. I never use it natively anyways, I use gmaps but still kind of annoying.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is getting #scroogled

Though in all seriousness it's likely a bug of some sort. Let's not jump to conclusions.

Considering that changing agent strings is all it takes to get redirected and it is happening to Nokia Express and IE10 I think it is hard to imagine this as a bug.

I agree. A bug that just happens to only effect a platform that they actively try to cripple? That would be quite the coincidence.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Considering that changing agent strings is all it takes to get redirected and it is happening to Nokia Express and IE10 I think it is hard to imagine this as a bug.
It is a bug because its not working on my iPhone either. It's not redirecting, but maps.google.com is opening in a totally ****ed up way that it's unusable. So yes, it's some backend issue.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google is scared of new Windows 8... you can access maps.google.com using IE10

Yeah, I can't get to it now, either. It did really work like crap though, so they are probably doing a favor.

-E

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3