Google Maps on Windows Phone Disabled?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google is scared of new Windows 8... you can access maps.google.com using IE10

It used to be there but it looks like their site revamp has removed it.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google is scared of new Windows 8... you can access maps.google.com using IE10

Sure but how do you import KMZ into maps.nokia.com? I haven't seen anything in the UI and a google search isn't turning up much.

-E

You answered your own question? :winktongue:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Most will probably just laugh at the comments made by Windows Phone users thinking "Well, I can use it. Should have got Android". Not to mention those that will also be "Microsoft are worst, look what they did in the past."

Most Google fanboys will say that.

Just wait until Google turns up the heat on Apple. You think Google versus Microsoft is hot? Wait until it's Google versus Apple (and the Great Gmail F***-Up impacts iOS just as badly in terms of disabling push e-mail).

Many Google users won't realize how screwed they are until the next generation of awesome devices is out, and they go to leave their crappy Android crash-bricks behind for WP8.5, BlackBerry 10, or iOS 7, only to learn that they'll lose all their e-mail, contacts, calendars and ability to upload and view YouTube videos as well.

You might not see it now. But it will happen. Google is very arrogant, and is putting its peeing contest with Microsoft ahead of user experience.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So one day after the Government antitrust case is over with just a slap on the wrist, Google now feels that they can continue their antitrust behavior.

But wait... the government said that Google said they'd do good and regulate themselves. They totally sounded sincere! How could this happen?

jfmanzo

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Gmaps site absolutely works and works flawlessly on IOS. I just checked on my 5g iPod touch. This is ONLY about Google's maliciousness against WP and its users.

clavecinist

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Everybody knows Google maps has never worked in mobile IE, right? RIGHT? I know because I forget all the time and try to load maps.google.com, and it's never worked. Ever.

Seriously, folks.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Many Google users won't realize how screwed they are until the next generation of awesome devices is out, and they go to leave their crappy Android crash-bricks behind for WP8.5, BlackBerry 10, or iOS 7, only to learn that they'll lose all their e-mail, contacts, calendars and ability to upload and view YouTube videos as well.

I would venture a guess that Google is not as concerned about accommodating 3% of smartphone users as Microsoft is about accommodating 75% of smartphone users. Microsoft is struggling enough as it is to gain market share; making it next to impossible for 3/4 of the market to switch would be very foolish at this point.

As good as Nokia Maps are, I personally don't care that much about Google Maps. It's not that great of an experience in the browser anyway.

crazeee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I would venture a guess that Google is not as concerned about accommodating 3% of smartphone users as Microsoft is about accommodating 75% of smartphone users. Microsoft is struggling enough as it is to gain market share; making it next to impossible for 3/4 of the market to switch would be very foolish at this point.

As good as Nokia Maps are, I personally don't care that much about Google Maps. It's not that great of an experience in the browser anyway.

Google maps is actually a pretty good browser experience, at least when compared to something like bing. I guess the main point though is that the Google maps site is built for webkit based browsers and has never worked on Windows Phone.

Torch4x4

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
what a joke, who needs to type maps.google.com on a phone browser? I never did that thing on Android and I don't need it on WP, looking for places using bing or google search on any mobile browser will open your default maps app.

clavecinist

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
your wrong.......read on.....

Actually I think I know for myself how my past three Windows Phone handsets have reacted when going to maps.google.com. Google maps has always redirected back to google.com when I've tried to load it in IE. If the mobile site has intermittently functioned for a group of users then clearly I am not in that group. I don't understand what's wrong with Google's response. If the product was never officially supported, and now it's officially NOT supported then give Bing/Nokia maps a shot. If Google maps is mission critical to a user's day-to-day then perhaps those users are best served by a Nexus device.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
what a joke, who needs to type maps.google.com on a phone browser? I never did that thing on Android and I don't need it on WP, looking for places using bing or google search on any mobile browser will open your default maps app.
true but that's not the point

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It is a bug because its not working on my iPhone either. It's not redirecting, but maps.google.com is opening in a totally ****ed up way that it's unusable. So yes, it's some backend issue.

I just tried maps.google.com on my iPhone 4S, and after asking me if I'd rather download the app (no), Google Maps came up just fine on Safari. No bug there.

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Google maps works on MetroBrowser, though its a pain to manipulate. Simply putting in an address or a [search] near [city] works just fine.

Azzid

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

Off topic but the TP2 was the best phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3