PC sync....Windows Phone 8 driver not found ? WTF ? Any idea ? Win7 X64

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So, I picked up a 8X and pretty cool phone...sorry Trophy sorry to see you go but, you did sync much better so far... :(

I connect my 8X to my Win7 X64 desktop and beep and I get a "Windows Phone 8" device showing up under "Other devices" but, no driver (a nice "!" is in view) in the Device Manager.

I found MS's site on it and followed it to a "T" and still it never loads a driver or shows up in Explorer as it should.

Windows Phone 8 is not detected by your computer
I've gone through and deleted the driver, rebooted both, try to refind, etc and no change, I can not see my Windows Phone 8 device in Windows Explorer. I really kind of wish they stuck with Zune here, as it just worked and worked well.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this and get my 8X syncing ?

I like my phone but, there is a lot I miss so far about my 7.8 device :(

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Did you get the windows phone 8 app for the desktop? I got it for my Windows 7 laptop, and everything worked fine.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I installed it and no change :( I also removed it and reinstalled it without luck)..

I tried it on my netbook (Win7 X32) and it installed and worked fine. I need it running on my Primary desktop, like my Trophy was....

Any other ideas ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So the only difference is 32 vs 64 bit?

The Netbook is a perfectly clean machine with just Office 2010 and nothing else installed (x32). The desktop has everything installed on it. It's a X64 machine.

So, yea, kind of, x32 it works, X64 it does not.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I've found even remote was someone having trouble doing htc sync on a x64 and fine on x32. The solution he found was to run in win7 compatible on the x64 computer. But I have no idea if this would do you any good at all.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I've found even remote was someone having trouble doing htc sync on a x64 and fine on x32. The solution he found was to run in win7 compatible on the x64 computer. But I have no idea if this would do you any good at all.

That would not do anything here. This seems to be driver problems, not a app running problem... :(

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Number one rule when purchasing a phone is to perform a hard reset. Do that and a system restore on the PC and see if that changes things.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Number one rule when purchasing a phone is to perform a hard reset. Do that and a system restore on the PC and see if that changes things.

Hard reset the phone when I first got it(yesterday morning)....and a restore point did not change anything.

WTF !!!!

TheXFather

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Damn this sucks. i got win 7 x64 didn't have a problem with my htc 8s
Have u tried to use the update driver from device manager?
i dunno what driver it uses. but this is the one from my manager if it helps:
2013-01-10 03_13_22-WinUsb Device Properties.png

Also the driver id:
2013-01-10 03_14_43-WinUsb Device Properties.png

I dunno what to suggest other then what has already been suggested. But i thought u could get the driver from the support or something or find it somewhere.

Hope it helps

trxmec

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Did you resolve that?
I just found out to have the same issue in device management (! symbol) despite I can browse the phone.
Same OS, nowhere it tells how to download or reinstall the correct driver.

Looking at C:windows\inf is just useless. No driver found neither if I let PC search in the whole disk.

Any idea?

Marilyn99

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
This is what worked for me - directly from Microsoft's web site (and it took 2 days to find it):
stalling WinUSB by specifying the system-provided device class When you connect your device, you might notice that Windows loads Winusb.sys automatically (if the IHV has defined the device as a WinUSB Device). Otherwise follow these instructions to load the driver:

1. Plug in your device to the host system.
  2. Open Device Manager and locate the device.
  3. Right-click the device and select Update driver software... from the context menu.
  4. In the wizard, select Browse my computer for driver software.
  5. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  6. From the list of device classes, select Universal Serial Bus devices.
  7. The wizard displays WinUsb Device. Select it to load the driver.

Teodor Florin

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
with the phone connected on pc via usb cable, shutdown the phone, this will perform a reset, and whent the phone loads up, win7 will load the right driver.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Or... make sure the option to "Search Web and Automatically download driver" is enabled via System options....
Never have a device that doesn't work again......

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Just worked it out for windows 7 after many days. Press start, control panel, under system: click device manager (it should have the blue and yellow shield next to it), scroll down to portable devices and click it, there should be something called Windows phone under portable devices, right click and press properties, click the tab driver, then press update driver and press search automatically for updated driver software. This then allowed me to get into my phone via my computer and allows it to communicate with my pc.

Melvinizer

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
So, I picked up a 8X and pretty cool phone...sorry Trophy sorry to see you go but, you did sync much better so far... :(

I connect my 8X to my Win7 X64 desktop and beep and I get a "Windows Phone 8" device showing up under "Other devices" but, no driver (a nice "!" is in view) in the Device Manager.

I found MS's site on it and followed it to a "T" and still it never loads a driver or shows up in Explorer as it should.

Windows Phone 8 is not detected by your computer
I've gone through and deleted the driver, rebooted both, try to refind, etc and no change, I can not see my Windows Phone 8 device in Windows Explorer. I really kind of wish they stuck with Zune here, as it just worked and worked well.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this and get my 8X syncing ?

I like my phone but, there is a lot I miss so far about my 7.8 device :(

I've had the same problem buddy. But guess what, I've had it with my Lumia phone. The problem is with your comp, not your phone. So get your computer tweaked out. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99