Finally, were ganing traction with apps.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Finally, were gaming traction with apps.

i agreed but priceline doesn't support flight booking and speedtest is crashing upon launching (on LTE)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I think there were many good signs for Windows Phone 8 in the last few weeks, but if companies decide to publish for WP, there will be a lag phase during the development. And there's the thing with the SDK being released very, very late.

Maybe we'll see an even higher increase of released apps in the next few months. I certainly hope so.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The apps are coming so fast now its crazy. Like every other article on the WPC blog is about an app being introduced or update. Its an exciting time for sure.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I hope Microsoft doesn't share your same pompous attitude. Without a growing WP customer base, many developers aren't going to bother porting apps to the MS Store, or bother making them work correctly. Without quality apps, many people are going to bail on WP (exhibit A: jhguth) or not bother giving WP a try. It's a cycle. One needs the other to survive and grow.

This is thread crapping and is against the forum rules. If you don't like that we are having a valid discussion of the exciting new apps coming to Windows Phone I am so sorry about that but you will have to make another thread to discus it. This will be your last warning take your discussion to another thread.

Stryfeno1

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Are we really gaining traction? The marketplace right now have a lot of apps but most of them are junk. But if we are gaining traction wouldn't we have Temple Run, Songpop, Dominoes pizza app, and many more popular apps by now. If you ask me, WP apps releases are moving like a snail.

Can someone prove me wrong....

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Are we really gaining traction? The marketplace right now have a lot of apps but most of them are junk. But if we are gaining traction wouldn't we have Temple Run, Songpop, Dominoes pizza app, and many more popular apps by now. If you ask me, WP apps releases are moving like a snail.

Yes, i can. WPs SDK has been out for a few months, and things like temple run take time to develop. We will see a bunch of big name apps released at once, once the SDK has been out for at least 5 months.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, i can.

Unless you can back up your statement with committed development plans or announcements, that's not proof. That's... conjecture, it's an opinion.

It seems to me that we're picking up lots of smaller, independent apps but we're also getting a lot of snubs. Go back over the WPC blog for the last couple of weeks and check out the number of posts about apps and app developers specifically not developing for WP8 or cancelling development for WP8. While smaller, independent apps and developers are great, if the "big name" apps don't make it over here WP8 is going to be put on the shelf next to webOS. Especially if, as tk-093 said, BB10 *ships* with Instagram.

I don't think we can say that WP8 is "gaining traction" until we've got some quality apps with user bases like that.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
This is thread crapping and is against the forum rules. If you don't like that we are having a valid discussion of the exciting new apps coming to Windows Phone I am so sorry about that but you will have to make another thread to discus it. This will be your last warning take your discussion to another thread.
I made comment suggesting what WP users and Microsoft can do to help WP and WP Store continue to gain traction (grow) in a thread titled Finally, were gaining traction with apps.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

But there is a Dominoes pizza app.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Look here is the think as long as one app is missing someone will have something to complain about. In the mean time we are adding bunches of apps daily and the gap is getting smaller there is no reason why we can't celebrate that. Other than a few very important missing apps important to some not me, we are getting there app wise. I know there is a small minority here that continues to discount this at every turn but the facts are weighing heavily in the favor of WP. Those that protest too much we know who you are its time to STOP, smell the roses. Smells like sweet apps to me...lol

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so yeah, while I am noticing apps come in daily, I must admit there's still a couple that I'm missing that I would really like (Instagram for example, I haven't used it because it isn't available for my phone, but would really like to get involved and try it out. Heck, my favourite artist uses it for example. And plus I want to involve it in a mobile phone photography project I have cooking.) - of course it's a given that I'm gonna be shut out on WP7. But I am getting a Nokia Lumia 920 (my bank does insurance for ?15/mth, as it's a joint account it works out as ?7.50/person/mth, I'll have a ?30 excess on my phone, mum will have a ?100 excess on her iPhone 5. Love how my excess is so much smaller. But yeah, may get an unlocked Lumia 920 as soon as I can. If I end up getting one from Phones4U or Carphone Warehouse though I'll just take out insurance with them). But I agree, the apps are coming in thick and fast. Now, a challenge (and this is meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment), 2'000'000'000 apps released in an hour for WP8!

Look here is the think as long as one app is missing someone will have something to complain about. In the mean time we are adding bunches of apps daily and the gap is getting smaller there is no reason why we can't celebrate that. Other than a few very important missing apps important to some not me, we are getting there app wise. I know there is a small minority here that continues to discount this at every turn but the facts are weighing heavily in the favor of WP. Those that protest too much we know who you are its time to STOP, smell the roses. Smells like sweet apps to me...lol

I'm going to have to disagree with you here (despite being one of your ambassadors). While the app gap is closing, if the apps people need aren't here or they don't work properly, people have a right to complain. Maybe this isn't the best place to complain (to me it isn't, I say go threaten the developer at gunpoint... kidding, but complaining to the developer is a good idea, but no point doing it at gunpoint), but that doesn't affect people's right to complain.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to have to disagree with you here (despite being one of your ambassadors). While the app gap is closing, if the apps people need aren't here or they don't work properly, people have a right to complain. Maybe this isn't the best place to complain (to me it isn't, I say go threaten the developer at gunpoint... kidding, but complaining to the developer is a good idea, but no point doing it at gunpoint), but that doesn't affect people's right to complain.

So because you don't get instagram the WPCentral community can have a thread to discuss the gains we have made?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So because you don't get instagram the WPCentral community can have a thread to discuss the gains we have made?

Absolutely they can! I was just saying while there are gains there are still people missing apps. Instagram isn't a need for me, it's a want (and if I don't get it, then meh that's fine. I'm not swapping away from WP8 because of apps.). Like I said, I accept that this may be the wrong thread to complain (and as a result inadvertently broke every rule in the book by doing it myself. Now to think of a suitable punishment for myself. If I still did self-harming I would be doing that to punish myself as we speak. Yes, I am that harsh towards myself. I once got frustrated so as a punishment for getting frustrated attacked my own skull with a UK 3-pin plug and had to be rushed to A&E because I was gashing blood like no tomorrow.) there are people who will still complain. Admittedly, I have been the world's biggest hypocrite by doing it myself (and heck, I'll even admit that), but the point still stands that people have a right to complain (even if not in this thread). But yes, I also accept that there are huge gains in apps. I'm looking forward to seeing what new apps come up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers