Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 88
Like Tree40Likes
  1. iPwnza's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    236 Posts
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
       #1  
    It seems like another major app or two is released daily now. Today, priceline and speed test for example.
    Thanked by:
  2. androidtoWM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    354 Posts
    #2  
    i agreed but priceline doesn't support flight booking and speedtest is crashing upon launching (on LTE)
  3. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #3  
    The gap is closing but I would bet not fast enough for some people.
    aubreyq and Bee Mon like this.
  4. MacDaMachine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    287 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by androidtoWM View Post
    i agreed but priceline doesn't support flight booking and speedtest is crashing upon launching (on LTE)
    Speedtest worked fine for me. Priceline probably just threw the app up and will update it regularly. (hopefully, although I don't fly or use priceline at all)
  5. FinancialP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    517 Posts
    Global Posts
    559 Global Posts
    #5  
    Traction?

    I wouldn't consider speedtest a feat.

    Glad to see it, but it's nothing to brag about.
  6. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhguth View Post
    As soon as BB10 is here I'm probably jumping ship

    Why are you posting that comment in this thread? This has nothing to do with the topic in this thread.
  7. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7,509 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    #7  
    I think there were many good signs for Windows Phone 8 in the last few weeks, but if companies decide to publish for WP, there will be a lag phase during the development. And there's the thing with the SDK being released very, very late.

    Maybe we'll see an even higher increase of released apps in the next few months. I certainly hope so.
  8. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #8  
    The apps are coming so fast now its crazy. Like every other article on the WPC blog is about an app being introduced or update. Its an exciting time for sure.
    tk-093 likes this.
  9. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlzimmerman View Post
    I hope Microsoft doesn't share your same pompous attitude. Without a growing WP customer base, many developers aren't going to bother porting apps to the MS Store, or bother making them work correctly. Without quality apps, many people are going to bail on WP (exhibit A: jhguth) or not bother giving WP a try. It's a cycle. One needs the other to survive and grow.
    This is thread crapping and is against the forum rules. If you don't like that we are having a valid discussion of the exciting new apps coming to Windows Phone I am so sorry about that but you will have to make another thread to discus it. This will be your last warning take your discussion to another thread.
  10. Stryfeno1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    37 Posts
    #10  
    Are we really gaining traction? The marketplace right now have a lot of apps but most of them are junk. But if we are gaining traction wouldn't we have Temple Run, Songpop, Dominoes pizza app, and many more popular apps by now. If you ask me, WP apps releases are moving like a snail.

    Can someone prove me wrong....
  11. iPwnza's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    236 Posts
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryfeno1 View Post
    Are we really gaining traction? The marketplace right now have a lot of apps but most of them are junk. But if we are gaining traction wouldn't we have Temple Run, Songpop, Dominoes pizza app, and many more popular apps by now. If you ask me, WP apps releases are moving like a snail.

    Can someone prove me wrong....
    Yes, i can. WPs SDK has been out for a few months, and things like temple run take time to develop. We will see a bunch of big name apps released at once, once the SDK has been out for at least 5 months.
  12. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,392 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,742 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    Especially when BB10 will be in an even worse situation early on than WP8.
    Maybe... Crackberry has been reporting that Instagram will come with BB10.
    aubreyq likes this.
  13. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,233 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryfeno1 View Post
    Are we really gaining traction? The marketplace right now have a lot of apps but most of them are junk. But if we are gaining traction wouldn't we have Temple Run, Songpop, Dominoes pizza app, and many more popular apps by now. If you ask me, WP apps releases are moving like a snail.

    Can someone prove me wrong....
    Sure.

    Infographic: The rise and rise of the Windows Phone Store | feature | Windows Phone news | PocketGamer.biz
    koldmiser likes this.
  14. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,427 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,607 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by iPwnza View Post
    Yes, i can.
    Unless you can back up your statement with committed development plans or announcements, that's not proof. That's... conjecture, it's an opinion.

    It seems to me that we're picking up lots of smaller, independent apps but we're also getting a lot of snubs. Go back over the WPC blog for the last couple of weeks and check out the number of posts about apps and app developers specifically not developing for WP8 or cancelling development for WP8. While smaller, independent apps and developers are great, if the "big name" apps don't make it over here WP8 is going to be put on the shelf next to webOS. Especially if, as tk-093 said, BB10 *ships* with Instagram.

    I don't think we can say that WP8 is "gaining traction" until we've got some quality apps with user bases like that.
    aubreyq likes this.
  15. jlzimmerman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    465 Posts
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    This is thread crapping and is against the forum rules. If you don't like that we are having a valid discussion of the exciting new apps coming to Windows Phone I am so sorry about that but you will have to make another thread to discus it. This will be your last warning take your discussion to another thread.
    I made comment suggesting what WP users and Microsoft can do to help WP and WP Store continue to gain traction (grow) in a thread titled Finally, were gaining traction with apps.
  16. D0gsballs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    244 Posts
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryfeno1 View Post
    Are we really gaining traction? The marketplace right now have a lot of apps but most of them are junk. But if we are gaining traction wouldn't we have Temple Run, Songpop, Dominoes pizza app, and many more popular apps by now. If you ask me, WP apps releases are moving like a snail.

    Can someone prove me wrong....
    But there is a Dominoes pizza app.
  17. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #17  
    Look here is the think as long as one app is missing someone will have something to complain about. In the mean time we are adding bunches of apps daily and the gap is getting smaller there is no reason why we can't celebrate that. Other than a few very important missing apps important to some not me, we are getting there app wise. I know there is a small minority here that continues to discount this at every turn but the facts are weighing heavily in the favor of WP. Those that protest too much we know who you are its time to STOP, smell the roses. Smells like sweet apps to me...lol
  18. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,818 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    #18  
    Ok, so yeah, while I am noticing apps come in daily, I must admit there's still a couple that I'm missing that I would really like (Instagram for example, I haven't used it because it isn't available for my phone, but would really like to get involved and try it out. Heck, my favourite artist uses it for example. And plus I want to involve it in a mobile phone photography project I have cooking.) - of course it's a given that I'm gonna be shut out on WP7. But I am getting a Nokia Lumia 920 (my bank does insurance for 15/mth, as it's a joint account it works out as 7.50/person/mth, I'll have a 30 excess on my phone, mum will have a 100 excess on her iPhone 5. Love how my excess is so much smaller. But yeah, may get an unlocked Lumia 920 as soon as I can. If I end up getting one from Phones4U or Carphone Warehouse though I'll just take out insurance with them). But I agree, the apps are coming in thick and fast. Now, a challenge (and this is meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment), 2'000'000'000 apps released in an hour for WP8!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    Look here is the think as long as one app is missing someone will have something to complain about. In the mean time we are adding bunches of apps daily and the gap is getting smaller there is no reason why we can't celebrate that. Other than a few very important missing apps important to some not me, we are getting there app wise. I know there is a small minority here that continues to discount this at every turn but the facts are weighing heavily in the favor of WP. Those that protest too much we know who you are its time to STOP, smell the roses. Smells like sweet apps to me...lol
    I'm going to have to disagree with you here (despite being one of your ambassadors). While the app gap is closing, if the apps people need aren't here or they don't work properly, people have a right to complain. Maybe this isn't the best place to complain (to me it isn't, I say go threaten the developer at gunpoint... kidding, but complaining to the developer is a good idea, but no point doing it at gunpoint), but that doesn't affect people's right to complain.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  19. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with you here (despite being one of your ambassadors). While the app gap is closing, if the apps people need aren't here or they don't work properly, people have a right to complain. Maybe this isn't the best place to complain (to me it isn't, I say go threaten the developer at gunpoint... kidding, but complaining to the developer is a good idea, but no point doing it at gunpoint), but that doesn't affect people's right to complain.

    So because you don't get instagram the WPCentral community can have a thread to discuss the gains we have made?
  20. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,818 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    So because you don't get instagram the WPCentral community can have a thread to discuss the gains we have made?
    Absolutely they can! I was just saying while there are gains there are still people missing apps. Instagram isn't a need for me, it's a want (and if I don't get it, then meh that's fine. I'm not swapping away from WP8 because of apps.). Like I said, I accept that this may be the wrong thread to complain (and as a result inadvertently broke every rule in the book by doing it myself. Now to think of a suitable punishment for myself. If I still did self-harming I would be doing that to punish myself as we speak. Yes, I am that harsh towards myself. I once got frustrated so as a punishment for getting frustrated attacked my own skull with a UK 3-pin plug and had to be rushed to A&E because I was gashing blood like no tomorrow.) there are people who will still complain. Admittedly, I have been the world's biggest hypocrite by doing it myself (and heck, I'll even admit that), but the point still stands that people have a right to complain (even if not in this thread). But yes, I also accept that there are huge gains in apps. I'm looking forward to seeing what new apps come up.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  21. jasqid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    #21  
    I contacted DirecTV and a Sunday ticket app. Let them know I wasn't to happy about paying for the service and not able to use it on my mobile.
  22. jhguth's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    580 Posts
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    #22  
    Instagram is not the only major app we are missing, and all of the new apps being announced, none of them are announced for WP8.

    I would believe that we are gaining traction if new major app announcements include WP8, but that's not happening. When WatchESPN, HBOGo, Showtime App, etc... comes to WP8, then we will be "gaining traction". Some crappy speed test or priceline port is not gaining traction.
    Thanked by:
  23. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,427 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,607 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    the facts are weighing heavily in the favor of WP
    Unless you're looking through completely rose-colored glasses, they really don't. Sure, the raw number of apps in the marketplace is growing, but... that's a very poor indicator, really. You can have fifty thousand million quadrillion apps in the store, but if they're not the apps which people *want* that number doesn't matter.

    Look, I want WP to succeed as much as you do. But you have to be realistic about its success. And yeah, it's great that there are more apps in the marketplace than there were, but that's not really a reason to rejoice. When the apps that people actually want are on WP, *then* we'll have a reason to rejoice.
    jlzimmerman and Osama204 like this.
  24. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,818 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    You can have fifty thousand million quadrillion apps in the store
    I'll take your fifty thousand million quadrillion apps and raise you infinite apps.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  25. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    Unless you're looking through completely rose-colored glasses, they really don't. Sure, the raw number of apps in the marketplace is growing, but... that's a very poor indicator, really. You can have fifty thousand million quadrillion apps in the store, but if they're not the apps which people *want* that number doesn't matter.

    Look, I want WP to succeed as much as you do. But you have to be realistic about its success. And yeah, it's great that there are more apps in the marketplace than there were, but that's not really a reason to rejoice. When the apps that people actually want are on WP, *then* we'll have a reason to rejoice.


    Just tap the Apps link above...



    Apps | Windows Phone Central



    Read through some of that then tell me we have zero good news. I say there are some very positive facts in that list.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with app updates.
    By ilabene in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 07:50 PM
  2. frustration with apps, or lack there of...
    By bear_lx in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 06:40 AM
  3. Lockup Update - getting traction with AT&T
    By facetheduke in forum Samsung Focus Flash 4G
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-29-2011, 10:34 PM
  4. [WP7 Game] PONGZ with online ELO leaderboard (free and trial)
    By willen.august in forum App Spotlight
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2011, 11:42 AM
  5. BestBuy app is (word that rhymes with app)
    By enahs555 in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 08:55 PM

Posting Permissions