The Best Apps for your Windows Phone 8 device?

Desdemona

May 24, 2011
Visit site
So I did a relative search on the forums, and couldn't come across a similar thread. Or maybe I am being too lazy. Any which way, I got a very simple question.What apps can I use to really pimp up my Lumia 920? Will be good to have both paid and free app suggestions.
Hopefully this is also useful to people who are very new to Windows Phone 8.

:angel::angel:

London Jr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
metro tube is a great app and the accuweather one is good for weather, cnn works good for news, the imdb app is one of the nicer ones... & of course don't forget the wpcentral app

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, WP central is a must. Besides those I go with Chase, Locktemp, Battery Level, Skywallet, tunein, Poynt, Amazon and of course Kindle. Just a few of my personal collection.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Fuse (RSS reader, google comp)
Bringcast (podcast app)
Amazing weather HD
Kindle
ESPN score center
Metrotube
Tunein Radio

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Banner18

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I love Fuse! Best RSS reader in my opinion...

If you have other people on WP8 use the native rooms feature...very cool.

OneNote (another native) is awesome, especially if you sync it to your work/personal PC or Tablet...

Bible, by YouVersion is awesome...I never carry my Bible but always have it with me now...

cPro craiglist client has been my favorite craiglist app..

If you use Google Voice, GoVoice is awesome...

Hey DJ! is very cool if you have music on your phone (wish it worked with Xbox music pass though)

Key Ring is nice for all the stupid loyalty cards...

Lyrics - embeds itself in xbox music and while you are playing music you can go launch it and it will show you the lyrics for the song that is playing.

Measure Note is a bit pricey...go check out the free trial though...

Netflix works great

NFC Launchit - make your own NFC tags!!!

Nokia Drive...duh

Pageonce (great from consolidating finances....set it up online, then just sign in on the phone and all your info is there...)

Paypal works nice (still missing a card reader though)

Shippin' Buddy Free (essential if you are an amazon fanatic like me)

TouchDevelop is AWESOME if you are a bit of a techie

VoiceTranslator is cool if you travel

Games:
Risk
Monopoly
Alphajax
Max & the magic marker
Mirror's Edge
Ducks Hunt (for old times sake)
Rainbow Rapture (Addicting)
Where's my Perry (ok I admit, I love phineas and ferb)

And if you have an xbox you MUST play with smartglass....very cool...

my 2, or 3 cents...whatever

Banner18

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Honestly there are only 2 things I am missing...I want an app that will keep my phone from going to sleep (like screeble on android) and one of the payment services to get me a card reader (paypal, square, intuit, I don't care which)

vinsijuvin

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
essential apps are
rap dialer
wpcentral
fantastic painter
gmaps pro
lockscrenn text
jack of tools
metro tube
windows phone insider
wikipedia
uc browser
betry booster pro
weather flow

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Note + is very nice. You can open it, make a note and title it totally with voice commands. Cool. You can pin individual notes to the start screen and they will be live tiles, flipping the contents of your note. You can sync notes with skydrive. Really a great app.

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
the reddit app Baconit is thee best windows phone 8 app.
Metrotube ( Youtube App)
Rapdialer
Flixter app is very good too.
UC Browser .

BUT the best of the best app is the YouTube app from Microsoft. A simple link to the mobile site. Yea baby ! That's how you develop an app.

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
The best ones and why (There are probably more out there that I've not even thought of, but I've tried alternatives to all of the ones below):

1. ProShot. There's nothing else like it on any other platform, and its a bargain too. With a little knowledge, it turns your already pretty-damn-good phone camera (if you have a higher-end lumia, atleast) into an amazing one via giving you full control over the camera much like you would have with a DSLR camera. Everything from manual focus to shutter speed to timelapse, it's got it all. Constant updates and new features added too.

2. Amazing Weather HD. Best weather app bar none, looks great, great live tile and has all the really useful information without also having a terrible interface.

3. Metrotube. This one is a no brainer really. It's donationware (the trial is the same as the full version), so you don't have to buy it at first if you don't want to.

4. Weave. Best RSS feed reader on any platform IMO. Excellent UI.

5. Photosynth. Create interactive panoramas. How could you not want that?

6. Nokia PlayTo. Stream your phone's media directly to any DNLA-compatable device (smart TV's, your computer, etc).

7. Beem. Excellent app for Di.fm electronic dance music radio, with a huge amount of options for genres. If you are into internet radio of the electronica vareity, that is.

8. Pandora. It's ad free only on Windows Phone 8! What more needs to be said?

Things that still suck:

1. All browsers. Sorry, but there isnt' a single good browser on WP8 yet. UC and SurfCube are the current best, but they still are complete and utter **** compaired to other browsers on other platforms. The reason? Almost every browser out there was built with WP7 compatability in mind, tend to be woefully incompatable with the browser standards on WP8, and as such EVERY SINGLE browser on the device has awful stability, or just awful interfaces. UC has the best UI of any browsers and adds a ton a great functionality/quick access that default IE doesn't have, but its extremely unstable. Surfcube is neat but it's buggy (and doesn't get updated nearly enough), also suffers stability issues, and certain things with the UI suck (i.e. pulling down on the cube requires MUCH MUCH more distance to be covered to get to that side of the cube than just switching tabs). The only browser that isn't an unstable or buggy piece of **** is the default browser... but it's tab system is awful and its extremely light on features. Not to mention the crippling bug with IE (and all browsers) that prevent you from typing in text fields larger than one line large (you can at least get around this bug in UC browser by switching to Speed Mode).

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
There are a few stickied threads in the Windows Phone Apps forum for this purpose exactly. Nevertheless my top apps are Amazing weather, WPCentral, Holy Bible, Skype, Nokia Here Series, Nokia Playto and Nokia Music.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb