Any way to use Excel properly?

strikexx

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Since the WP8 Excel app does not have even basic functionality (copy/paste cell contents, add rows/columns...) and there are no alternatives, I tried to use the SkyDrive Excel Web App today.
However, when I want to edit a cell, the keyboard of IE doesn't pop up...

Screenshot: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=886CB92AE789F2EC!172&authkey=!AByOiX5HJpAgykc

Does any of you have the same problem? Or how should I edit my Excel files properly...?

I'm using a L920 without Portico.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Since the WP8 Excel app does not have even basic functionality (copy/paste cell contents, add rows/columns...) and there are no alternatives, I tried to use the SkyDrive Excel Web App today.
However, when I want to edit a cell, the keyboard of IE doesn't pop up...

Screenshot: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=886CB92AE789F2EC!172&authkey=!AByOiX5HJpAgykc

Does any of you have the same problem? Or how should I edit my Excel files properly...?

I'm using a L920 without Portico.

Tap on the cell you want to edit. Next to fx there is a box, where that cell's content will be displayed. TAP on that box. The keyboard will pop up!

I can't believe you haven't tried that.

I update my excel workbooks every time after work while travelling back home!

It is made like this so that we don't mess up our cells by accidentally tapping them.

strikexx

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Tap on the cell you want to edit. Next to fx there is a box, where that cell's content will be displayed. TAP on that box. The keyboard will pop up!

I can't believe you haven't tried that.

I update my excel workbooks every time after work while travelling back home!

It is made like this so that we don't mess up our cells by accidentally tapping them.

Are you talking about the Web app now? I'll try that out. I can edit them in the WP8 app but this app is too limited for other purposes like I described.

@WindowsPhone8User: set IE to be in desktop mode and then go to skydrive.com and open a document.

strikexx

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! Clicking the formula pops up a keyboard. However, when I tap in a cell and click 'Edit', no keyboard pops up and nothing happens.

But I'm good to go now. Thanks a lot!

locoworks

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
if you are trying to edit an imported spreadsheet i think you have to make sure the imported doc wasn't saved as read only before you imported it onto the phone. i have a read only doc which i can't edit, and another one i can. there is a bar that drops from the top of the screen with the time on the right. when you open an excel document and it displays opening, followed by cant edit workbook, then it goes back to just showing the time on the right.

solidsnakejv

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I was going crazy today because all of a sudden I couldn't edit a workbook that I've been able to edit on the office wp8. It took me a while to discover that if you edit a workbook on the SkyDrive web excel and save it, then it won't let you edit it on the phone. This wasn't the case a couple of weeks ago, I have no idea why.

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I was going crazy today because all of a sudden I couldn't edit a workbook that I've been able to edit on the office wp8. It took me a while to discover that if you edit a workbook on the SkyDrive web excel and save it, then it won't let you edit it on the phone. This wasn't the case a couple of weeks ago, I have no idea why.
I just came across this too. Apparently now the Excel Web App saves in the Office 2013 format. Windows Phone 8 cannot edit the Office 2010 format.
This sucks. Come on Microsoft... before you complain that Google breaks connectivity with Windows Phone 8 make your stuff work properly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo