Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Ok so Whatsapp drains the battery enormously fast on my lumia 920 as in 25-35% per hour. To me this is unacceptable so I'm looking for a replacement. I noticed ebuddy xms also drains the battery rather quickly. So has anybody found a messaging app that doesn't turn my phone into a hand warmer?

heya

I use WP7 on my Arrive and had the same issues with WhatsApp. Switched to Hike and everything works fine...
    Thanked by:
    Thigis 

girlfriend uses blackberry so not really an option
    Try kik or one of many text apps. Whatsapp is using the audio background agent to be able to send push notifications so that's why battery is draining
    Thanked by:
    Thigis 

I'll check it out. Though the reviews in the appstore kind of put me off.

I notice a drain with kik, but not nearly as much as whatsapp. I wish they would just build a more cross platform chat into the messaging hub, which I guess messenger merging with Skype will do.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Global Posts
    1,843 Global Posts
    You can give GroupMe a try, that's what we use.
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)
    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820

Just an update here, have tried kik which indeed had a lower battery drain. Judging from http://mashable.com/2012/11/20/livin...mia-day-4-5-6/ though the high battery issue could pop up in social application, with the recommended 'fix' being to reinstall.

So after re-installing whatsapp it now has a similar battery drain as kik. around 15% per hour, which is acceptable. That said i found that kik delivers messages more rapidly so might just switch to that platform anyway :)

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Kik has been working fine for me since I got it.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryker002 View Post
    Kik has been working fine for me since I got it.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
    The livetile on Kik is useless. Worked for a couple of hours after I got my phone on Sunday now it just never updates. Reinstalled and rebooted my phone and it worked for 1 message then broke again. Having a livetile which doesn't work makes it almost useless - if I walk out the room and miss the toast notification I'd have absolutely no idea that I had a message. Seems this is a common issue and after researching it there's no fix other than Kik updating it and sorting it out.

WP8 here.

I find whatsapp fine here using Nokia 920 - after 12 hours off the charger still have 50% battery with moderate use during day

Quote Originally Posted by asmith02 View Post
    I find whatsapp fine here using Nokia 920 - after 12 hours off the charger still have 50% battery with moderate use during day
    like i said after uninstalling and reinstalling it has been working fine