Data issue AT&T

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My fiance and I both have 2 GB plans on AT&T on our Windows Phones. I have a Lumia 920, my fiance Jenn has a Samsung Focus. I typically use about 1.3 - 1.5 GB of data in a month billing period. Last month, two days into my plan, myATT app was showing I had used over 1 GB of data! By the end of the billing cycle, I had used nearly 3 GB of data.

Jenn typically uses well under 1 GB, and she is now nearly at her 2 GB limit. She has about six days remaining. 5 Days into my account, I have used over 25% of my data. So, this is way higher than typical usage, and I am not doing anything different with my phone.\

So, is anyone else experiencing this? The issue started for me around the beginning of December. I don't know if there is data leakage somewhere in Windows Phone or a third party app, or if there is an issue with AT&T? It could just be an anomaly, I am just curious if anyone else is seeing anything strange.

Thanks!

bovcrx

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
If you use Nokia maps or drive make sure it's on offline mode. I had an 808 and had similar data issues like that. The wife's phone though Idk since it probably wont have nokia maps or drive

Sent from my Note II with a WP8 theme

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
This is just what I have noticed so take it for what its worth. I came from BB to WP8 with 920. I very rarely used more than 2gb on BB with Playbook bridge workaround. Got 920 on launch day. Since then I'm using about 2.5-3gb. I know BB is known for their data compression and its not really apples to apples. But, I do think data packets are larger on WP8. I am actually using less notifications and two fewer email accounts on WP and i use more data. Maybe when the MS compression software get better it will not be as bad. I would double check all of your settings. SkyDrive in particular with picture upload. That was running my usage up until I set it to high quality/wifi only.

mjsullivan

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Similar experience. I recently switched over from Sprint with WP7/HTC Arrive to AT&T with WP8/Nokia920. With Sprint I had an unlimited data plan but only consumed 250Mb per month. Now with AT&T, I thought 1Gb would be fine, but und myself burning 250 per week using the same set of live tiles, email accounts, etc. I "fixed" by disabling all background procs other than Weather as and I even disabled Location. With that I burn just 5Mb daily. So what gives? Is AT&T sending my location to a backend server or something? Were there a way to see what was using the network I could be more prescriptive in diagnosis, but frankly I think something is amiss here. I will have trouble recommending this product to others based on the cost.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Ensure you have the wifi keep alive setting turned on (part of Portico update) if you are using any streaming music services. If during the streaming process, you pause then play again (via use of headphone controls) without bringing the screen on once you hit play, wifi will turn off after you hit pause and you will stream over cellular once you resume play. The Portico update added the ability to keep wifi alive and I went from using 1GB/week pre-Portico to 1GB/month post-Portico purely due to that issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)