Childs XBOX360 account and windows phone 8

Jaffacakeking

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

My son has an ms account which he uses on his xbox 360. As responsible parents, when we set up the account, we restricted the online services etc.

For Christmas we bought him a new Nokia 920 as his first 'proper' phone. We specifically chose this phone due to it's xbox integration. I am now however suffering the consequences of my responsible actions as the phone will not download any apps without me giving permission (as an adult etc). The permission wizard directs me to donate 50c to charity which i can't do as i'm based in the UK. No one seems to be able to help me with this and i'm getting rather frustrated. Is it an Xbox issue, an Microsft Account issue or Nokia's? No one seems to want to help.

Quite simply i want my son to be able to download apps and additional features onto his WP8. Can anyone help me setup my son's phone to allow him to download apps whilst retaining his XBOX achievements etc?

Thanks for your help

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
What sort of restrictions did you put on the account?

Also, is he using the same MS Account/email on his 360 that he's using on his phone?

Jaffacakeking

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for your interest.

When we setup the MS account we stopped social networking etc but to be honest it's such a long time ago we can't really specifically remember opting out of anything. We were more concerned with changing the parental security settings on the xbox console.

When he got the phone he added he added the MS account that he uses on his xbox first - initially to log into the xbox 'tile' and to see what he could do with the xbox integration.

Cheers

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Is it safe to assume that the MS Account was listed as a child's account when it was created? That could be what's blocking services on his 920.

Here's more info: Xbox LIVE and Zune Privacy Settings | Xbox LIVE and Zune Safety | Child Account - Xbox.com

[h=2]Promote a child account to an adult account in Xbox[/h] Xbox LIVE determines whether an account is a child account or an adult account based on the age of the account owner. Account owners who are younger than 18 are given child accounts in the United States. The legal adult age varies by country and region (for example, the adult age in Korea is 20).
Child accounts are tied to an adult's Microsoft account. The adult account can control Family Settings and restrict some features of Xbox LIVE.
After you reach the age of adulthood (which varies by country and region), you can promote a child account to an adult account. This promotion removes the Family Settings and Xbox LIVE restrictions.
To promote a child account to an adult account

• Sign in to Xbox LIVE by using the account that you want to change.
  • Go to Settings, and then select Account.
  • Select Promote Child Account. Note The age of an account owner is calculated by using the date of birth provided when the account was created. This date cannot be changed. If you entered an incorrect date of birth when you created the account, your only option is to create a new account using the correct date of birth. This option is available only if the date of birth for the account indicates that you have reached the age of adulthood (18 in the United States). The legal adult age varies by country and region.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to promote the account.
Note If you want to control the console itself - for example, to limit the amount of time the console can be used on a daily basis, or limit the content types that can be viewed on the console - please see Xbox 360 console parental controls. To learn about ESRB Ratings and safe gaming tips, please see GetGameSmart.com.

A workaround could be to transfer the account license to an adult account. It would require creating a new email with the birthday listed as an adult. You should also give MS a call to see what your options are.

Jaffacakeking

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for your help. I think that transferring the account maybe the way forward. I know my son will ask about achievements - will this be transferred should i transfer the licenses etc?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think you can just set him as an adult... My wife and I had an issue... Each if us have our own gamer tags and WP's, but when I purchased a 1 year gold family membership and added my wife, I inadvertently set her as a child and she could not buy phone apps anymore... Anyhow, resolved the issue by logging in to Xbox live (from a PC) and setting her as an adult... Not sure, but would think you could do it on the 360 as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon