Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Butan

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Seriously, who ever uses it? It could have been implented so much better. It should of at least made it a search button in apps like the store, IE and so on.
    Last edited by tofub0ii; 01-26-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    Device: Nokia Lumia 920 (Black)
    Firmware: 8.0.10517.150
    Network: Tele2 Sweden

500px:
    @LostMySelf
    Instagram:
    @lightness90

But Back has functionality to go back everywhere. Not sure how you get around without using it as its so much quicker to navigate using it.

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Damn, I meant the search button!
    Device: Nokia Lumia 920 (Black)
    Firmware: 8.0.10517.150
    Network: Tele2 Sweden

500px:
    @LostMySelf
    Instagram:
    @lightness90

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    the search button needs to integrate universal search similar to webOS universal search or Spotlight on iOS. THEN it will be MUCH more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by tofub0ii View Post

lol. Well that makes things read differently:)

I like the idea of contextual search buttons perhaps similar to windows 8.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tofub0ii View Post

Dude delete your thread and make a new one with a proper title because u lost me for a minute :)

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    I would love for the search button to be contextual... It would make the phone experience awesome. Quick access to Bing is fine, but I want to search my phone too. A swipe left or right that netted local results would make my day. Windows 8 search is good, better than 7 like 7 was better that 8.

The local search is one thing that I missed from iOS.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Yep me too. I wish we can search within the phone, can make our lives much easier... Does Microsoft has a page for its users to give them our ideas..

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    I have to agree with you here. While I do use the search button fairly frequently, I like the way that Windows 8 does universal searches on the machine. Part of the problem, I think, is that Apple has a patent on universal search on a MOBILE DEVICE (that's how they got around "prior art"). So, if anyone wants to implement a universal search, they have to pay a license. I've seen several Android manufacturers pay the license or remove universal search. It's unfortunate, but may explain implementation.

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bawboh86 View Post
    I have to agree with you here. While I do use the search button fairly frequently, I like the way that Windows 8 does universal searches on the machine. Part of the problem, I think, is that Apple has a patent on universal search on a MOBILE DEVICE (that's how they got around "prior art"). So, if anyone wants to implement a universal search, they have to pay a license. I've seen several Android manufacturers pay the license or remove universal search. It's unfortunate, but may explain implementation.
    webOS has had it without license issues...

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    webOS has had it without license issues...
    The Galaxy Nexus was banned from sale in the US due to an injunction filed by Apple because of unified search. Here's a FOSS article on it (sorry, would link AndroidCentral, but they linked me to this): FOSS Patents: Apple wins U.S. preliminary injunction against the Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus over Siri patent

Not too long after the injunction, all Android phones started receiving an update to remove unified search. I think WebOS got out of it because they have such a small market share and were ending the program so Apple didn't even bother (of course, this is just conjecture on my part).

Article on injunction being overturned by appeals court due to Apple overstepping their bounds: Appeals court overturns Galaxy Nexus injunction | Android Central
    Article on updates to Android phones being updated to remove unified search (this focuses on teh Sprint version, but there are tons of articles revolving around the removal of the search function from the phones on all carriers): Confirmed: Sprint's Galaxy Nexus update removes local search | Android Central
    I use the Bing search all the time on my phone on the first version of wp7, if you hit search inside of the people hub, or mail it would actually search within that hub
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Bing does a great job for web search but we still need the to search within the OS. Most of us when downloading an attachment, we dont know were the file goes...We keep searching but then we figure out its on the temporary files which we cant have access to. Lets hope we can have that search

I love the search button. ^^
    I use it all the time for tracking music or scanning barcodes,qr and Microsoft tags.
    And I love the pictures they are always great.
    ImAdrian23 likes this.

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Butan View Post
    I love the search button. ^^
    I use it all the time for tracking music or scanning barcodes,qr and Microsoft tags.
    And I love the pictures they are always great.
    I too use it frequently for various image searches, translate text, and barcodes in general. I really like the functionality and it's easily on par with my old Android phones.

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
    I use the Bing search all the time on my phone on the first version of wp7, if you hit search inside of the people hub, or mail it would actually search within that hub
    Do you mean that it used to work like that? Just tried it out, nope, still brings up the Bing Search.

In my country, only Bing Vision is available, no local scout or music thing.
    I'm also not accustomed to Bing Search as I convert currency quite frequently in IE10, and typing into the URL bar '10 usd in sgd' does the trick (I have set Google as my default search provider).
    Searching the above phrase in Bing Search brings me to tons of currency converting sites.

I admit that the 2 months I've owned my 820, I've not used used it once. Only times I open it up is when I accidentally do.
    Yes on launch wp7 devices the search button would bring up search within the area you were in. If that area had no search then it would bring up BING. It was taken out I believe with NoDo in Feb 2011 :-/

The ability for apps to "catch" the search key was taken out early on because it made the platform confusing. Because some apps did it and others didn't, there was no way for a user to know which "search" function they'd get.

I can imagine app-search coming back in a Windows 8 Charm kind of way. The user would press the search button and get the search form; the form could show if it will be searching Bing plus the active app or just Bing. The search results would contain a new tab calls "all" that lists the sources of results with counts of hits. If the app was searched, the first source would be the active app, the second could be web, then local, media, etc. Tapping a source would just slide over to the correct tab.

Depending on how efficient it could be, it could work the way that Windows 8 does with a list of apps and their hits, making it a universal search. If it's not that efficient to do the search automatically every time, the sources tab could show a list of apps that support search and let the user tap on the app to search it.

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    The should give us an option because some people do like universal search.

Also Blackberry got universal search when they launched OS6.
    Banned

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I always use bing search, obviously universal search would just make that experience better.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    What it should do is let apps hook into the Bing search if its open, but then just make it that you swipe left or riht and get the rest like Web, Local etc.