Portico update: Images still soft on Lumia 920

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
It's been more then two weeks after I purchased my Lumia 920. With all the excitement I started taking photos with the so called best camera in a smart phone. The low light photos were mind blowing...believe me no other smartphone can even come close to Lumia 920.

Next day i was flaunting my phone camera in front my colleagues who own SG3, iPhone 5 & Note 2. We decided to compare photos
with our respective devices.

In broad daylight I found that the photos with Lumia 920 had adequate saturation, clarity but they were not crisp as SG3 or Note 2. All devices had good acceptable photos but Lumia 920 lacked those details which would make it stand out.

Anyone else experiencing same issue??

(BTW I have Portico update pre-installed)

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
It was the same with Lumia 800, the specs were comparable to other devices but images were weaker in quality. Now the story repeats in Lumia 920. I don't know the details but its something to do with the software algorithm concerned with daylight images. Nokia has yet to get it right.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
are you trying to zoom in on the photo on the phone? that always produces blurriness since WP zooming is broken. try viewing on a decent monitor

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know the details but its something to do with the software algorithm concerned with daylight images. Nokia has yet to get it right.
It makes me think that it's something to do with their telemetering or whatever they use for focusing at a distance, as the daylight close-ups are very good.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 has a wider angle lens than others. So if you take shots from the same distance, objects will appear smaller on L920 than on those other phones. Hence, if you are comparing two phones, you will have to zoom in more on 920 to get a particular object sized the same. But when you do that, objects on L920 will be a bit less sharp because it's using less pixels. It's not a fair comparison. But people do that all the time not realizing the implication. Just FYI.

All in all L920 is not advertised to blow your socks off with daylight. It's about the same as other top phones. It's the low light performance that kills the competition as you saw. Test them again in low light and your friends will hate their phones from that point on.

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
No i am not trying to zoom in. Have even tried playing around with settings, used daylight instead of auto, this removes the reddish or yellowish hue from the image but doesn't change the sharpness.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No i am not trying to zoom in. Have even tried playing around with settings, used daylight instead of auto, this removes the reddish or yellowish hue from the image but doesn't change the sharpness.

Without zooming I doubt you can tell sharpness difference. What kind of display(s) are you using to compare? And I am sure you are not confusing DOF and bokeh with softness? (I've seen one dude here who thought there's something wrong with picture when it was just heavy bokeh.)

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
are you trying to zoom in on the photo on the phone? that always produces blurriness since WP zooming is broken. try viewing on a decent monitor

Is this verified? Because I have also wondered that can this really be true, than when zooming in on screen, the pic get instantly blurry? I didn't check this on computer (and now I am not able as my phone is in repair for second time in a row as its rebooting).

If true, this would be "good news" as it can be fixed with software patch.

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Its not Bokeh...I do use a Canon 550d and purchased a 1.8 prime lens after reading a lot about Bokeh.

My firmware version is 1249.
I have already mentioned earlier that low light performance is awesome...no comparison required.
My point is, a camera which can give this amazing low light performance can and should give equally impressive daylight performance. I am not asking for performance which can kill other devices but at least compares to other devices.
Haven't compared the pics on computer will do so and comment. Have always tried zooming in on my phone and comparing..

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Its not Bokeh...I do use a Canon 550d and purchased a 1.8 prime lens after reading a lot about Bokeh.

I have already mentioned earlier that low light performance is awesome...no comparison required.
My point is, a camera which can give this amazing low light performance can and should give equally impressive daylight performance. I am not asking for performance which can kill other devices but at least compares to other devices.
Haven't compared the pics on computer will do so and comment. Have always tried zooming in on my phone and comparing..

I think there're 2 things about this:
1) The zooming feature in WP8 really doesn't tell the truth about the picture, so you should really view it on computer (and pray for microsoft to fix it)
2) The camera of 920 has a fixed f/2.0 on every focus distances so there might be a chance your pictures have elements which're out of focus. I don't know if the Portico update can fix this (I didn't receive it yet)...

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

YOu said you didn't have to zoom to find softness. Now you say you always zoom. What is it? Outperformance in low light doesn't mean it should outperform also in daylight. Not sure what you mean by equally impressive.. Without sample pictures we don't have much to go by. Also, you really should compare them on one common hw and sw setup, not separately on each phone. FWIW, I've seen lots of comparison photos here and elsewhere. Daylight shots are pretty much similar except for minor differences here and there. Any small difference in sharpness would be totally obscured in low resolution displays like on phones.

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 has a wider angle lens than others. So if you take shots from the same distance, objects will appear smaller on L920 than on those other phones. Hence, if you are comparing two phones, you will have to zoom in more on 920 to get a particular object sized the same. But when you do that, objects on L920 will be a bit less sharp because it's using less pixels. It's not a fair comparison. But people do that all the time not realizing the implication. Just FYI.

Although the arithmetics seem to support your stance on the number of pixels used to capture an object, I do not buy into it. Note 2, i5 and SG3 have 8MP, while L920 has a 8.7MP, so the extra pixels should compensate for the wider lens.
Also, if your theory was true, L920 should kill my 5MP Torch in daylight, unfortunately is the other way around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb