I think mobile HD screens are seriously overrated. 800x480 is totally adequate.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My gigantor LCD TV only has 1080p, and it looks awesome. Why do I need that in a little 4 - 5" screen? :)

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. My 55" TV is 1080 and it is absolutely fabulous. My Lumia 810 is 800x480 and I get the same fabulous feeling from that too. I just feel the Lumia 920 screen resolution is a bit overkill.

didn't read all that, but doesn't matter what you see, it what you see on the spec box.

Is there need for a super high def 1080p with huge resolution screen phone? No, but does that get buyers to cream their pants over it? Yes. It is not about performance, it is only about perceived performance. I would guess most people would have a difficult time finding out the difference anyway, but it does matter when it comes to selling the product.

I have to disagree. The general userbase who browse tech forums like wpcentral are tech nerds. I am one of them. We care about specs. We buy phones based on tech specs and features. But we are the UNDERWHELMING MINORITY of smartphone buyers! Do many iPhone buyers spout off iphone specs? No they don't, they just talk about how much the LIKE their phones, but not about it's technology. Because all of us here know that iPhones are rarely the best phones on the market spec wise. They might have one or two cool features (like when they introduced their retina screen), but usually are lagging behind on everything else. But NOBODY CARES and everyone buys them up anyways. Us nerds buy according to specs. Everyone else buys on EMOTION.

I agree. Most consumers are completely ignorant about these things. As with many other numbers on the spec sheet, it is about making consumers feel they are about to buy a good product, as opposed to it actually being good.

None of this would bother me, if it didn't so often end up being counter productive. In many regards our devices actually end up being worse (in this case less brightness, lower frame rates in games and higher GPU power draw), for the purpose of being easier to sell to the masses.

I'll admit to that being somewhat over generalized. Some few people really might notice a difference well over 400 PPI, maybe 1%.

As I mentioned above, I agree with you that people want to FEEL like they are buying something good, but it's NOT THE SPECS that make them feel good. Again, I'm not talking about us nerds here, I'm talking about the general public, who is the KEY market for all manufacturers. The things that make people FEEL like they are buying something good is going to a store and picking up a working iPhone and playing with it and experiencing it's responsiveness, seeing the vibrant screen, etc... Also, it makes them FEEL good that they bought the same phone that all their friends say makes them FEEL good too. Seriously, ask the next 100 iphone owners you meet what their screen resolution is, or how many cores their SOC's have. I'll bet 95 of them have no clue, and DON'T CARE.

I think people buying phones will decide whether they want a higher resolution or not, and therefore WP8 should give the option to implement a higher resolution than 1280 x 768.

Would I see the difference? I don't know, haven't seen a 1080p phone around here, but I see a difference for sure between my HTC 8X and my Omnia W. (Yes, I know, LCD and AMOLED is not really comparable, but still, the difference is huge.)

I've read reviews in which they praised the DNA's resolution.

800x480 is fine. I laugh every time I hear or read a tech reviewer say something like "seeing pixels makes my eyes hurt" or "I can't even look at a screen under 720p". Its such first world problems its ridiculous.

Ok first of all, tech reviewers are tech nerds too, so they spout off specs and praise specs like the DNA's resolution but the vast majority of buyers have no clue. You gotta realize that most people buying a smartphone for the first time are just gonna walk into a store and ask the salesman what to get. They don't know the diff between ios android or WP. Just like my dad, he bought a digital camera. It was a poor choice he bought. I asked if he had done any research. He said yes. I asked "where did you do your research?". He said, "I asked the guy at bestbuy". So most people might buy a lower res screen, some may buy an HD screen, but most of them will have no clue and not even notice they have an HD screen or not. Like my wife, she uses both the 920 and 810 and honestly she sees NO difference in the screens at all. She doesn't notice the lower res of the 810, she doesn't notice the washed out blacks of the 920, she didn't even notice the 920 screen was bigger. I always ask my clients my clients what kind of phone they have (because I'm such a phone nerd). 95% of my clients are women, and they always say either "iphone", "some kinda samsung", "a Blackberry" but they don't even know what model number. These people couldn't give less of a crap about specs.

I just feel like they are cramming specs, driving costs up, and it only pleases like 3% of the buyers. The rest don't even notice as they browse facebook and play angry birds.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
If you think high ppi displays are "overrated" - well, then don't buy such devices. I really like the high PPI displays on both my iPhone 4s and Lumia 920, I can definitely notice the difference between them and devices with lower pixel density displays when reading the text, watching videos/photos or playing the games (especially when reading unzoomed text - I prefer not to zoom in if it's not necessary), so I do not think it's an "overkill" for me or that "it's not worth its price". Different people (perhaps with different eyesight level) will have a different opinion about this, both are equally valid, so... This thread is kinda pointless ;-)

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For 4-5" phone display, 720p does make a noticeable improvement over 480p, but I would say other aspects of display performance such as color accuracy and contrast ratio (black levels) are equally important. One thing I begun to appreciate only recently is Nokia's ClearBlack technology. It's amazing how easy it is to read in sunny outdoors compared to my old Focus. With Focus, I had to squint just to see if it's on or off. Not anymore with L920.

1080p on 5" or less is overrated greatly.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Software and calibration makes a huge difference. You don't really notice the resolution unless they optimize it right. For example, the screen on my LG Optimus G makes the screen on my HTC 8x look like a joke despite the 8x having the higher pixel density. This is most noticeable in the browser and HD video. Watch the UP 1080p trailer on both and it is night and day.

However, the more telling example of this is between my Optimus G and Nexus 4. They both have exactly the same screen but the Nexus 4 also looks like crap next to the Optimus G.

Last edited by a moderator:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Software and calibration makes a huge difference. You don't really notice the resolution unless they optimize it right. For example, the screen on my LG Optimus G makes the screen on my HTC 8x look like a joke despite the 8x having the higher pixel density. This is most noticeable in the browser and HD video. Watch the UP 1080p trailer on both and it is night and day.

However, the more telling example of this is between my Optimus G and Nexus 4. They both have exactly the same screen but the Nexus 4 also looks like crap next to the Optimus G. Software makes a huge difference and I believe that WP8 just isn't designed to do 720p mobile screens justice.

Your post isn't entirely wrong, but it is somewhat misleading.

Foremost, the assertion that the operating system has a notable influence on a display's visual quality, or that WP may not be designed to do 720p properly, is simply false. In fact, as far as the visual quality of your display is concerned, the operating system is entirely irrelevant!

All operating systems, whether it be WP, iOS or Android all end up writing the results of graphical operations to their devices video buffers. These are nothing more than numbers (representing colors) in a designated portion of video memory. That is the end of it. That is to say, an operating systems interaction with a devices display ends there. It goes no further. In other words, the reach of operating system code doesn't go far enough to influence display quality in any way, shape or form.

The only entities that can influence display quality via "software" are the hardware manufacturers. They do so by determining how the contents of those display buffers are mapped to the physical display. At this point they can setup various profiles that specify gamma curves, maximum brightness, display brightness as a function of ambient light and so forth. Although one might argue that this is where software is involved, it really is more about configuring the hardware. That is why this is the hardware manufacturers job and not the OS developers, not to mention that everything done at this stage is dependent on the make and model of the display being incorporated into the device.

So, you are correct that there is more to it than just the make and model of the display, but these differences aren't really software and most certainly not OS related.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
720p and 480p and lower is noticeable on 4.3" screens and above but 720p vs 1080p isn't really noticeable until over 32". Is 480x800 adequate for a smartphone? Sure it is but there are areas where at least 720p is needed especially if you want the same experience you get at home when on the go. This being said I don't think I would buy an 800x480 phone again due to the process of evolution (new phone must be the same specs or better).

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Those who believe a screen larger than 720p on a small device like this would be noticeable are the same people who believe Monster brand cables offer a "better" digital signal.

sigh...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Those who believe a screen larger than 720p on a small device like this would be noticeable are the same people who believe Monster brand cables offer a "better" digital signal.

Because people and their usage scenarios are so different, I don't think it is fair to say that 300 PPI is enough for everyone. A very small minority may be able to appreciate improvements to sharpness above 300 PPI in day to day usage, though I suspect at least 99% of the population will see no real improvement above 300 PPI at all (ignoring imagined improvements and bragging rights).

My point is that this isn't a black & white issue. Some people, likely far fewer than one in a hundred, will reap real benefits from a 1080p display at 5". Like I said, I can make out differences in sharpness between the Lumia 920 and the DNA, but only when reading high contrast text and I need to shove each device up one nostril to do so. In terms of day to day usage, I find that improvement irrelevant, but others might be more sensitive to sharpness than I am.

My point is that I don't think this is comparable to the monster cable phenomenon, where electrical measurements leave no basis on which to claim superiority. Displays at 450 PPI are technically superior to displays at 300 PPI, but for most people it just won't be a difference that matters.

Consequentially, I don't think 1080p displays should be ignored entirely. I just don't think they should be a major priority on WP's development plan. At this point we have other OS features that are far more pressing. If we get 1080p support in WP9, while simultaneously discontinuing support for two of the three current resolutions (I would vote to keep 1280x720), I'll be a happy camper.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the 810 and I've had a lot of hands on time with the 8x. Everything is a trade, in this case battery life for resolution. Give me the battery life, because the much touted specs on screens simply don't make much difference, if any, in real life. In other words, I agree with you 100%.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Your post isn't entirely wrong, but it is somewhat misleading.

Foremost, the assertion that the operating system has a notable influence on a display's visual quality, or that WP may not be designed to do 720p properly, is simply false. In fact, as far as the visual quality of your display is concerned, the operating system is entirely irrelevant!

All operating systems, whether it be WP, iOS or Android all end up writing the results of graphical operations to their devices video buffers. These are nothing more than numbers (representing colors) in a designated portion of video memory. That is the end of it. That is to say, an operating systems interaction with a devices display ends there. It goes no further. In other words, the reach of operating system code doesn't go far enough to influence display quality in any way, shape or form.

The only entities that can influence display quality via "software" are the hardware manufacturers. They do so by determining how the contents of those display buffers are mapped to the physical display. At this point they can setup various profiles that specify gamma curves, maximum brightness, display brightness as a function of ambient light and so forth. Although one might argue that this is where software is involved, it really is more about configuring the hardware. That is why this is the hardware manufacturers job and not the OS developers, not to mention that everything done at this stage is dependent on the make and model of the display being incorporated into the device.

So, you are correct that there is more to it than just the make and model of the display, but these differences aren't really software and most certainly not OS related.

Thanks for the explanation.

I wonder why HTC and MS was so lazy with the 8x screen though, the One X shouldn't have the superior screen, it should be the other way around. Although now that I think about it, the coating on the LCD could play a part too. Or a filter like the clear black filter Nokia uses.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I wonder why HTC and MS was so lazy with the 8x screen though, the One X shouldn't have the superior screen, it should be the other way around.

For one, the two screens differ in size, but have the same resolution, meaning each pixel on the One X has a larger surface area. This alone is a huge difference, that will affect at least brightness and viewing angles. Assuming that the difference in size also affects glass curvature and thickness, you can also expect different refractive and reflective properties. Literally hundreds of other things also affect display quality which, when taken together, can make a big difference.

Whatever the differences are, I'm sure their existence has nothing to do with laziness. I'm also quite sure that MS had no role to play in any of it, as HTC is perfectly capable of doing this without Microsoft's involvement.

americasteam

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
All of these people talking about how ridiculous anything over 720p is, will be the exact same people loving their 1080p or higher res screen on their next phone. 😋

Remember folks. You can't compare a tv's res to something you hold just inches from your face. Higher ppi in mobile is needed to produce the same perceived quality as an HD tv.

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
A lot of complaints are with 1080, everything is much more fine and harder to read... Yea on the iPhones screen, but on a bigger screen it could look much much better. I want the 920 so bad!! Lol

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
My last WM6.5 Phone the LG IQ was 480p 3.2" display and now I have the Samsung ATIV S 720p 4.8" I would not go back ever!
I don't see what you people are taking about? As far as saying 1080p HDTV is sharp it's not! 1080p is only 2 Mega Pixel...
Go look at the new 2160p UHDTV side by side with 1080p then you will see!
More is always better don't kid yourself. 😎

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My last WM6.5 Phone the LG IQ was 480p 3.2" display and now I have the Samsung ATIV S 720p 4.8" I would not go back ever!
I don't see what you people are taking about? As far as saying 1080p HDTV is sharp it's not! 1080p is only 2 Mega Pixel...
Go look at the new 2160p UHDTV side by side with 1080p then you will see!
More is always better don't kid yourself. ��

Not really. There is a limit on how much resolution human eyes can resolve for a given distance. At normal viewing distance of phone at around 12 inches, you cannot resolve more than 330-340 ppi even if your vision is 20/20. Lumia 920 is 334 ppi. That means 1080p would be a waste on Lumia's screen size of 4.5". All of this have been well established.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
More is always better don't kid yourself. 😎

You are the type of customer smartphone manufacturers love... easiest to sell low-effort and incremental updates to. I've looked long enough at the DNA and saw no difference in sharpness I would notice during daily use. You might notice a difference in sharpness, but if you think a majority would, then you are the one kidding yourself.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
You have quite low standards from what you want from a screen. For me at least I prefer an IPS display with at least 300 PPI. I didn't pull that number out of my ass, it's based on phones I've used and how they moved from ~200-250 to >300PPI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb