Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I am a freelancer. I just purchased a Windows Phone 8 (NOKIA Lumia 810).

My Samsung Omnia II, Blackberry (all of them), Samsung Galaxy S III, iPhone 4s, all had a way of exchanging data with my Outlook.

After much research, I have learned that there is no way to sync my Outlook data with my phone unless I use my Hotmail account.

PLEASE: SOMEONE Tell me This is not true.

What is Microsoft thinking? I understand the "Cloud, Cloud, Cloud" thing...but, that doesn't mean I have to be forced to only use that. If I wanted to be bullied, I would have stayed with Apple and their iTyranny.
    888PhilM likes this.

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Data? You mean your email and contacts, or files and such? Syncing your data [email, contacts] is not an issue or problem at all. Under "accounts + email" you can choose Outlook which covers "exchange", "outlook.com" and "Office 365".

Global Posts
    2,821 Global Posts
    Only option for local sync is really Akruto Sync | Own your data

You can sync Outlook to Google with Sync2

You can use Hotmail Connector and sync on contact list, multiple calendars to your Microsoft account (Outlook.com/Hotmail/live)
    Thanked by:
    888PhilM and sb_boston like this.

if u have outlook connector installed on your outlook 2010, contacts will sync from phone to outlook. WHICH IS HUGE IMO. My old IPHONE was an absolute ***** trying to get the contacts to sync to OUTLOOK 2010. THANK YOU Windows Phone!

Akruto Sync is indeed a terrific way to sync locally with Outlook and avoid the cloud. It is also just a simply great sync program even if someone does not care about avoiding the cloud. Love it how all my contact pictures got synced. I am just so happy I found it.
    Thanked by:
    aximtreo, sb_boston and CoolRam like this.

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    CompanionLink now offers WP8 to Outlook sync. You can select between Wi-Fi sync and DejaCloud sync. It handles contacts, calendar, tasks, and categories.
    CompanionLink

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Why are you all afraid of using your Live/Outlook.com account (that you are required to have for the phone to work) to do this? What's the problem with letting them take care of this via exchange activesync protocol? it works really well, stop holding onto your 1990's methods.

Do you all also save your contacts on your SIM card and use one of those crazy universal cell-phone adapter that had every connector made to copy contacts?

Syncing tasks would be the only reason to use any of this
    Thanked by:
    neo158 
    neo158 likes this.
    Outlook 2013 has Hotmail connector built in. You can now log in normally using your outlook/Microsoft account.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    I was upset at first it didn't have a local sync but I made a outlook.com account and synced it there and it works beautifully. So now I don't see a need for a local sync.
    rdubmu likes this.
    It took a paradigm shift for me to get used to this. I actually like it better now. I still think they should add this down the road but having outlook.com being able to sync with Outlook 2013 is a great start.

Global Posts
    884 Global Posts
    That people don't use an online source for email, calendar, and contacts is beyond me. It's cheap easy backup, you don't have to worry about "moving" it between devices, and dealing with cables or "syncing". all of your devices have the same info from the same source.

move all of your data up to an email provider that has contact and calendar integration and be done with it.
    Thanked by:
    DavidinCT, rdubmu and neo158 like this.

edit - managed to resolve by playing with the settings
    Last edited by Spookyville; 04-18-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Current user of CompanionLink for my iPhone with ACT!. Wonderful product. Considering a switch to WP8. Will DejaOffice mean my contacts and calendars will be within the WP8 app and not the default Contact/Calendar/Tasks etc pieces of the WP8 delivered system? The WP8 devices are nice but the holdback is Microsoft's belief that people want to only connect via social networks. Being unable to sync directly/locally with Office 2010 or 2013 is simply ridiculous.
    aximtreo likes this.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
    It took a paradigm shift for me to get used to this. I actually like it better now. I still think they should add this down the road but having outlook.com being able to sync with Outlook 2013 is a great start.
    Do you have to copy over calendar appointments one at a time including recurring appts?

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichHowerton View Post
    if u have outlook connector installed on your outlook 2010, contacts will sync from phone to outlook. WHICH IS HUGE IMO. My old IPHONE was an absolute ***** trying to get the contacts to sync to OUTLOOK 2010. THANK YOU Windows Phone!
    Nothing is easier than syncing between Outlook and iPhone. What are you talking about? I tried syncing Outlook to an old WP7 and it was a complete hack job. Had to copy over things to an online account and they didn't take and it was tedious. Got the sync to work for contacts but not calendars. I'm going to try a WP8 and hope for the best. Not confident without buying CompanionLink/Dejaoffice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janda45 View Post
    Do you have to copy over calendar appointments one at a time including recurring appts?
    Not sure what you mean, but in Outlook you can drag and drop appointments between calendars. The recurring appointments will ask if you want to copy over the whole series or just the single appointment. I do with my bosses shared calendar since Shared calendars do not appear on Windows Phone Calendar or Windows 8 Calendar, only Outlook 2013.

Before I was using over 3-4 calendars and now I just use my outlook/Hotmail calendar. Works great!

Global Posts
    1,776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janda45 View Post
    Nothing is easier than syncing between Outlook and iPhone. What are you talking about? I tried syncing Outlook to an old WP7 and it was a complete hack job. Had to copy over things to an online account and they didn't take and it was tedious. Got the sync to work for contacts but not calendars. I'm going to try a WP8 and hope for the best. Not confident without buying CompanionLink/Dejaoffice.
    Windows Phone 8 syncs the same way so you probably aren't going to like it either. Now that I think about it Android doesn't sync with Outlook either but you don't hear them complaining!!!

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhguth View Post
    Why are you all afraid of using your Live/Outlook.com account (that you are required to have for the phone to work) to do this? What's the problem with letting them take care of this via exchange activesync protocol? it works really well, stop holding onto your 1990's methods.

Do you all also save your contacts on your SIM card and use one of those crazy universal cell-phone adapter that had every connector made to copy contacts?

Syncing tasks would be the only reason to use any of this
    Reasons:
    1. Data security. Anything posted on the internet can become public domain through legitimate or illegal means.
    2. Privacy. Your contacts data is not yours to share with the public. You can share your personal info to the public, but you don't share other people personal info to the public. See reason no 1.
    3. Currently Outlook.com do not sync perfectly with our Outlook desktop program. It has limitations, such as 40 characters limit on Company Names, 64 characters limit on Address lines, only 1 Address line per address (see this for example) etc.

Those are just 3 of reasons of the top of my head.
    So no, I don't save all my contacts data on my SIM cards, but I have a healthy suspicion on the security of the cloud and the limitations of current cloud solution.
    Thanked by:
    aximtreo likes this.

Global Posts
    584 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    Reasons:
    2. Privacy. Your contacts data is not yours to share with the public. You can share your personal info to the public, but you don't share other people personal info to the public. See reason no 1.
    How have you managed to avoid any and all apps that request access to contacts? And are you using some kind of end-to-end encryption for all traffic on your phone and your desktop?

Gentlemen, FINALLY got my wife to stop using outlook and her ipooey connections to sync calender and contacts local only. Due to her oopsie as she put it, she deleted the sync program to sync my Gmail account to outlook, so I lost all updates. Now were both syncing through the cloud (outlook.com) and she loves how when she updates calender on her phone, within seconds its updated on my 8X and in her local outlook, and vise verse.

Now the question, only because we didn't see anyway before. How to sync contacts? Thats probably the last step. Does someone have a basic overview on how its done using outlook 2010 and outlook.com?

Global Posts
    584 Global Posts
    I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will come to the rescue, but I think you can use the MS "Desktop Connector" program. I think that's the name. Definitely has 'connector' in there; try searching here or the web for "sync desktop outlook".

I think I transferred my contacts from our exchange server to my personal outlook.com account just using export/import.

I think I've even heard of people syncing first to Gmail, then from Gmail to outlook.com. If I'm not mistaken this was mentioned as a way to utilize some cleanup tools that Gmail offers.

Right. I've been using an old nokia symbian phone and a blackberry 5 or more years prior to now and I always have to sync everything via usb to the computer. Calender, tasks, contacts and notes. Then I moved my calender and contacts to gmail and it synced them wirelessly to my blackberry, and then i'll manually sync notes and task via usb.

Now that I got my 920, I NEVER have to go the the daily stress of syncing with my outlook via usb, EVER. Imported EVERYTHING, calender, contacts and tasks (I use onenote for notes now) to outlook.com using my old microsoft account. Changed my primary alias to a @outlook.com email also. Contacts are on People tab on outlook.com. It syncs with everything, my windows 8 system running on my 5 year old HP laptop, and my microsoft outlook office software. and best of all, no duplicate.

If you need more details on how to set up contacts sync do ask, it was pretty straightforward for me.

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    The quote is part of an answer to why some people do not wish to sync to an online program (gmail, outlook.com etc). People who still wants to sync to their desktop, myself included, is not being catered by native WP functionality which is very disappointing. And no, I can't get away from any of the invasive private data requests that programs on the application stores requires to work. What I can do is not install programs like Sudoku or Calculators that requires owner info or location services to work. For me, I don't want to reward sloppy programmers.

Coming from several phones (Imagio running WP6.5, Thunderbolt) that required hardwire connection to local for syncing, I can tell you its so liberating NOT having to connect. I don't worry about some hacker looting my data, because if they wanted to get my data, then they could just hack into my wifi and go that route. I realize that the cloud is where everything will be going, and I have to put some faith in the pros that they will do what they can to preven hacks.
    I have a friend who is brilliant with computers and IT stuff. He has helped safeguard what we can, and feels that the cloud really is the only option we all have, and should take full advantage of it. He was even using cloud based servers for his ipooh long before everyone else was, and I couldn't wait to get going with it.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Thank you. Thank you! THANK YOU! to gapost & ChrisRig for introducing me to Akruto Sync.

Akruto Sync works perfectly! My calendar, tasks (to-do's), contacts and notes are now in sync with my phone again... like before I bought a Windows phone. It's the best $20 you could possibly spend on a WP8.

Setup of Akruto was really easy too. And if I wasn't sure of something, their documentation is great, with lots of screenprints. Compare this to CompanionLink which did not work for me twice in 5 months in 2013 (same problem both times by the way), and their documentation and help is practically nonexistent.

I have been ticked off at MICROSOFT for the last 5 months since I bought this MICROSOFT Windows Phone (HTC 8X) that could not sync with my MICROSOFT Outlook -- something I've been able to do for the last 15 years with PDA's & phones of various brands. This functionality should have been included in the package. They continue to give a big MIDDLE FINGER to small business people and everyone who uses Outlook who doesn't have a whole IT department that runs Exchange Server to depend on to make synchronization work. But now I am happy again! ... but I am still ticked off at MICROSOFT.

Thank you so much for posting this on this board. I had not heard of Akruto Sync before today!
    Last edited by sb_boston; 09-16-2013 at 08:56 AM.
    Thanked by:
    aximtreo likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast