Blackberry 10 gets Skype and Windows Phone 8 is still in beta?!?

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Yikes. If that's the case, it shows that companies are wary of investing their products into WP8 for one reason or another, and that can't be good.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
MS should first release a proper Skype App to WP8 before BB10 and the Skype App for WP8 should be unique! Seriously, if MS release Skype App for BB which is better then WP8, i will be jumping ships to Andriod! Because MS bought Skype and we really should have the best Skype app and if that happened, that means MS really doesnt care about its software and customer! Lets hope not!

I understand that making Apps for BB is much easier since they benefit from Andriod! But does that mean BB will get all Google apps? Andriod is not worried about BB10 and not attacking as its attacking WP8? If not then i believe Google fears MS! Also what maps in BB10 does it have? Gmaps?

Swiping in BB10 is like the swiping i do in my iPhone using "Activator" app that will set swiping features on your iOs! im not sure if u guys are familiar with "Activator" in iOs! My iPhone if i swipe from the top bottom, it will be locked. if i swipe from bottom to up ill see the running apps! if i double tap on the clock, ill go back to the home menu! Anyways u can set it up the way u want! Point is, i believe that BB stole that from iPhone!

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Perfectly right.. commited.
It's still something to raise an eyebrow at. I love my windows phone and I love that we are now gaining traction, but if BB10 were to come out exactly as promised in today's presentation. I feel like a lot of people would jump ship on WP.

Start reading the reviews of the Z10, horrible camera.. battery life that lasts half a day.... no USA devices until March... I'm not sure it was a good day for BlackBerry... at least for USA customers.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Also, even though our RIM rep told us that you can 'port an Android app over to BB10 in 5 minutes and it will work just pefect and the end user won't even know it's an Android app' seems to be a load of BS.

If you read The Verge review of the Z10 you will see that apps that are running the Android Runtime are horrible. Heck, it's still using the Gingerbread runtime. Gingerbread! I'd be shocked if you get any real first rate apps running that way.

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
MS should first release a proper Skype App to WP8 before BB10 and the Skype App for WP8 should be unique! Seriously, if MS release Skype App for BB which is better then WP8, i will be jumping ships to Andriod! Because MS bought Skype and we really should have the best Skype app and if that happened, that means MS really doesnt care about its software and customer! Lets hope not!

I understand that making Apps for BB is much easier since they benefit from Andriod! But does that mean BB will get all Google apps? Andriod is not worried about BB10 and not attacking as its attacking WP8? If not then i believe Google fears MS! Also what maps in BB10 does it have? Gmaps?

Swiping in BB10 is like the swiping i do in my iPhone using "Activator" app that will set swiping features on your iOs! im not sure if u guys are familiar with "Activator" in iOs! My iPhone if i swipe from the top bottom, it will be locked. if i swipe from bottom to up ill see the running apps! if i double tap on the clock, ill go back to the home menu! Anyways u can set it up the way u want! Point is, i believe that BB stole that from iPhone!

Good for BB, I wish windows would've stole a couple things from iPhone too. Notification center for example, miss that.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Some facts here might be nice, to clear up the guesses and speculations in this thread:

"We are excited about our plans to bring Skype to smartphones running the brand new BlackBerry 10 platform," said Bob Rosin, VP & GM of Business Development for Microsoft's Skype division. "We are working closely with BlackBerry to ensure Skype runs great on BlackBerry 10 devices. This will give BlackBerry 10 users a great Skype experience, including free voice and video calling, sending instant messages and text messages, sharing photos, videos and files, and calling to landlines and mobiles at Skype's low rates."

clear enough?

lng325

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I believe the skype on wp8 would be much better than on other platforms. if it is deeply work with wp8. Just give MS some times.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
A lot of the BB10 launch was super hype prior to launch. I am not sure anyone else noticed, but at one point they were demonstrating screen sharing between a phone in London and one in New York. The phone in London was flipping through their pictures, which would show up on the phone in New York. I pointed out to the people in my office, that the last 5 pictures in that slide show showed up on the phone in New York, before the phone in London flipped to them. The last one by a good 3 seconds. This tells me that it was a pre-prepared sequence that was being shown (and subsequently lost sync), not a live demonstration of their software, as they claimed.

I am pretty sure it was because of the two different connections: the one was directly through the phone (BBM) and was faster than the streaming connection line on the presentation screen...This kind of "async-behaviour" is pretty normal for streaming... Besides: if RIM (Blackberry) would lie about the streaming-quality during their presentation it would mean that the OS is not ready yet... if that was the case I am pretty sure they would not show that feature... I mean the phones are coming during the next couple days... they would never risk such a huge disaster just because of the presentation's sake...

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a lot of hot steam. Android and iOS have Skype too, why shouldn't BB10 get it? And so what if the one on this platform is "in beta" - it is still a working app that you can download. Sure, it has limitations and bugs but so do the apps on the other platforms. Actually, I don't think I've encountered any piece of software from Skype (except the desktop client) that is really all that well built.

Not to mention how Skype is better integrated with WP (despite it being in "beta") than any other OS.

Skype is meant to be a multi-platform messaging client - that's one of its major strengths. What's the point of limiting that just so you can go around showing people that "your phone does it better"?

Obviously, this is totally different from the game issues where Microsoft deserves a lot of criticism for not leveraging every opportunity to highlight their OS.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Skype is only useful if it is ubiquitous. Doesn't mean they shouldn't save the BEST version for us though.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
i bet their skype app would be even more unstable than ours. common, microsoft still has their senses they must support their platform first. i hope.
it's been 3 months since skype preview released. losint hope

djdurance#WP

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I never get notifications... Have to actually loggin to the app to find missed calls, etc. Anyone else have this? An by never, I mean NEVER! As soon as I open the app it updates.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty sure it was because of the two different connections: the one was directly through the phone (BBM) and was faster than the streaming connection line on the presentation screen...This kind of "async-behaviour" is pretty normal for streaming... Besides: if RIM (Blackberry) would lie about the streaming-quality during their presentation it would mean that the OS is not ready yet... if that was the case I am pretty sure they would not show that feature... I mean the phones are coming during the next couple days... they would never risk such a huge disaster just because of the presentation's sake...
I actually run the Canadian operations for a large Live Streaming CDN. I am familiar with sync issues. I am also familiar with the fact that sequences such as this are frequently filmed in advance (which is why you can't actually see their hands behind the podium while they are "presenting") to eliminate the risk of connection glitches. It is similar to a musician using a "backing track" and lip synching to eliminate potential for a voice crack, etc.

Having looked at the presentation a second time, I can tell you with a fair bit of certainty that the person on the controlling phone was not making the same sequence of gestures as the receiving phone displayed (the controller phone appeared to be "hunting" for the appropriate image and was moving between photos in both directions, that was not reflected on the receiving phone, regardless of synch timing).

Alexandre Donnert

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft needs to make some strong changes on WP8, add some basics functions that all the other platforms had, including the dead Symbiam, improve the best functions on WP8 and make something new, to make the costumers want his phone... Because the new Windows phone 8 is becoming old, against all the other TOP 3 OSs ... Microsoft, C'mon ... Let us happy, not worried with your product, our OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss