Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    How is it that Blackberry 10 isn't even out yet and they already have a skype app (and skype is apparently super dedicated to it) and we don't even have an app worth mentioning...
    Editor-in-chief

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WOAHesco View Post
    How is it that Blackberry 10 isn't even out yet and they already have a skype app (and skype is apparently super dedicated to it) and we don't even have an app worth mentioning...
    They said Skype is "committed" to BB10.

Read that carefully.

Not sure where you are getting "and Skype is apparently super dedicated to it". All they did was show an app icon.
    Daniel Rubino
    Editor in chief - Windows Central
    Email: daniel@windowscentral
    Twitter: @Daniel_Rubino
    Socl: Daniel Rubino

Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    With the new BBM the point of skype would be???
    sejgiul and wpn00b like this.

If its easy to port from Android to BB, then why shouldn't Skype spend 10 minutes porting the app?

Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    And a real MLB At Bat app..

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    What's this info based on? If we travel back in time to October then we think Skype will be natively integrated into wp8 based on developer claims.

Is this the same thing? Overhyping reality before a launch. I really hope so. If you are right then I'm annoyed.

One of the major reasons I switched from android to wp8 and bought 2 Xboxes with kinects was based on Skype being seemless between Xbox/phones/pcs so that I could chat with my kids (joint custody) at any time from wherever.

Don't feel like a sucker just yet but am a bit disappointed so far. If android/bb/iphone does MS-owned Skype better then I will be perturbed.

Skype definitely needs to stay ubiquitous that is the whole point of a messenger app, but with that being said MS really needs to get Skype to actual work on their own platform.

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    They're doing away with MSN Messenger in WP8 and making it Skype (which, to me, means it should be integrated within the year). Blackberry said that Skype is COMING to BB10, meaning that it's not ready yet. It may be as close to ready as the WP8 app is, who knows.
    HeyCori and Raduc78 like this.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rubino View Post
    They said Skype is "committed" to BB10.

Read that carefully.

Not sure where you are getting "and Skype is apparently super dedicated to it". All they did was show an app icon.
    Perfectly right.. commited.
    It's still something to raise an eyebrow at. I love my windows phone and I love that we are now gaining traction, but if BB10 were to come out exactly as promised in today's presentation. I feel like a lot of people would jump ship on WP.

I don't get it either. Sure they're 'committed' but I though Microsoft bought Skype? Would be more logical if the skype app for WP would be perfected instead of BB first
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bawboh86 View Post
    They're doing away with MSN Messenger in WP8 and making it Skype (which, to me, means it should be integrated within the year). Blackberry said that Skype is COMING to BB10, meaning that it's not ready yet. It may be as close to ready as the WP8 app is, who knows.
    How'd you get to be so smart bawboh?
    bawboh86 likes this.

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    How'd you get to be so smart bawboh?
    Why, reading WPCentral everyday, of course!
    HeyCori likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    With the new BBM the point of skype would be???
    To get in contact with people who don't have BBM. See I'm not a genius and I figured that out in like 2 seconds.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    to get in contact with people who don't have bbm. See i'm not a genius and i figured that out in like 2 seconds.
    lol!

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    If its easy to port from Android to BB, then why shouldn't Skype spend 10 minutes porting the app?
    I think it has something to do with the Android "VM but not a VM" they use. It may not be able to access the APIs to get to the FFC, or maybe it can, but it's not of good quality. Then again, I can't really say for sure as nothing has even been released to the public yet.
    Bilal_Fakih likes this.

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    A lot of the BB10 launch was super hype prior to launch. I am not sure anyone else noticed, but at one point they were demonstrating screen sharing between a phone in London and one in New York. The phone in London was flipping through their pictures, which would show up on the phone in New York. I pointed out to the people in my office, that the last 5 pictures in that slide show showed up on the phone in New York, before the phone in London flipped to them. The last one by a good 3 seconds. This tells me that it was a pre-prepared sequence that was being shown (and subsequently lost sync), not a live demonstration of their software, as they claimed.

Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    To get in contact with people who don't have BBM. See I'm not a genius and I figured that out in like 2 seconds.
    Obviously not genius enough to get the sarcasm in my comment. Do i have to explain it?
    Banned

Not only Skype but also games that we were promised half year ago, I am so pissed I took double dose of xanax because my head started spinning

BlackBerry shows off some of its 70,000 new third-party apps, including Skype, Rdio, Kindle, and Whatsapp | The Verge

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    A lot of the BB10 launch was super hype prior to launch. I am not sure anyone else noticed, but at one point they were demonstrating screen sharing between a phone in London and one in New York. The phone in London was flipping through their pictures, which would show up on the phone in New York. I pointed out to the people in my office, that the last 5 pictures in that slide show showed up on the phone in New York, before the phone in London flipped to them. The last one by a good 3 seconds. This tells me that it was a pre-prepared sequence that was being shown (and subsequently lost sync), not a live demonstration of their software, as they claimed.
    This I saw too. Something strange happened there
    I don't think Microsoft will launch Skype on BBOS10 before WP8. Also, what I'm wondering about BBOS10 with blackberry world is that aren't most of their apps still for the older platform, won't that mean that they will work on BBOS10 but not really be a "real" app for BBOS10, I mean that they probably won't work with all of the touch features...I'm guessing at this point. Still, the ability to answer Skype calls like a phone call puts WP8 way ahead of the pack in terms of integration

Yikes. If that's the case, it shows that companies are wary of investing their products into WP8 for one reason or another, and that can't be good.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    MS should first release a proper Skype App to WP8 before BB10 and the Skype App for WP8 should be unique! Seriously, if MS release Skype App for BB which is better then WP8, i will be jumping ships to Andriod! Because MS bought Skype and we really should have the best Skype app and if that happened, that means MS really doesnt care about its software and customer! Lets hope not!

I understand that making Apps for BB is much easier since they benefit from Andriod! But does that mean BB will get all Google apps? Andriod is not worried about BB10 and not attacking as its attacking WP8? If not then i believe Google fears MS! Also what maps in BB10 does it have? Gmaps?

Swiping in BB10 is like the swiping i do in my iPhone using "Activator" app that will set swiping features on your iOs! im not sure if u guys are familiar with "Activator" in iOs! My iPhone if i swipe from the top bottom, it will be locked. if i swipe from bottom to up ill see the running apps! if i double tap on the clock, ill go back to the home menu! Anyways u can set it up the way u want! Point is, i believe that BB stole that from iPhone!

Global Posts
    1,773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WOAHesco View Post
    Perfectly right.. commited.
    It's still something to raise an eyebrow at. I love my windows phone and I love that we are now gaining traction, but if BB10 were to come out exactly as promised in today's presentation. I feel like a lot of people would jump ship on WP.
    Start reading the reviews of the Z10, horrible camera.. battery life that lasts half a day.... no USA devices until March... I'm not sure it was a good day for BlackBerry... at least for USA customers.
    WOAHesco and Bilal_Fakih like this.

Global Posts
    1,773 Global Posts
    Also, even though our RIM rep told us that you can 'port an Android app over to BB10 in 5 minutes and it will work just pefect and the end user won't even know it's an Android app' seems to be a load of BS.

If you read The Verge review of the Z10 you will see that apps that are running the Android Runtime are horrible. Heck, it's still using the Gingerbread runtime. Gingerbread! I'd be shocked if you get any real first rate apps running that way.

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal_Fakih View Post
    MS should first release a proper Skype App to WP8 before BB10 and the Skype App for WP8 should be unique! Seriously, if MS release Skype App for BB which is better then WP8, i will be jumping ships to Andriod! Because MS bought Skype and we really should have the best Skype app and if that happened, that means MS really doesnt care about its software and customer! Lets hope not!

I understand that making Apps for BB is much easier since they benefit from Andriod! But does that mean BB will get all Google apps? Andriod is not worried about BB10 and not attacking as its attacking WP8? If not then i believe Google fears MS! Also what maps in BB10 does it have? Gmaps?

Swiping in BB10 is like the swiping i do in my iPhone using "Activator" app that will set swiping features on your iOs! im not sure if u guys are familiar with "Activator" in iOs! My iPhone if i swipe from the top bottom, it will be locked. if i swipe from bottom to up ill see the running apps! if i double tap on the clock, ill go back to the home menu! Anyways u can set it up the way u want! Point is, i believe that BB stole that from iPhone!
    Good for BB, I wish windows would've stole a couple things from iPhone too. Notification center for example, miss that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast