Blackberry 10 gets Skype and Windows Phone 8 is still in beta?!?

WOAHesco

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
How is it that Blackberry 10 isn't even out yet and they already have a skype app (and skype is apparently super dedicated to it) and we don't even have an app worth mentioning...

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
How is it that Blackberry 10 isn't even out yet and they already have a skype app (and skype is apparently super dedicated to it) and we don't even have an app worth mentioning...
They said Skype is "committed" to BB10.

Read that carefully.

Not sure where you are getting "and Skype is apparently super dedicated to it". All they did was show an app icon.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
What's this info based on? If we travel back in time to October then we think Skype will be natively integrated into wp8 based on developer claims.

Is this the same thing? Overhyping reality before a launch. I really hope so. If you are right then I'm annoyed.

One of the major reasons I switched from android to wp8 and bought 2 Xboxes with kinects was based on Skype being seemless between Xbox/phones/pcs so that I could chat with my kids (joint custody) at any time from wherever.

Don't feel like a sucker just yet but am a bit disappointed so far. If android/bb/iphone does MS-owned Skype better then I will be perturbed.

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Skype definitely needs to stay ubiquitous that is the whole point of a messenger app, but with that being said MS really needs to get Skype to actual work on their own platform.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
They're doing away with MSN Messenger in WP8 and making it Skype (which, to me, means it should be integrated within the year). Blackberry said that Skype is COMING to BB10, meaning that it's not ready yet. It may be as close to ready as the WP8 app is, who knows.

WOAHesco

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
They said Skype is "committed" to BB10.

Read that carefully.

Not sure where you are getting "and Skype is apparently super dedicated to it". All they did was show an app icon.

Perfectly right.. commited.
It's still something to raise an eyebrow at. I love my windows phone and I love that we are now gaining traction, but if BB10 were to come out exactly as promised in today's presentation. I feel like a lot of people would jump ship on WP.

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't get it either. Sure they're 'committed' but I though Microsoft bought Skype? Would be more logical if the skype app for WP would be perfected instead of BB first

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
They're doing away with MSN Messenger in WP8 and making it Skype (which, to me, means it should be integrated within the year). Blackberry said that Skype is COMING to BB10, meaning that it's not ready yet. It may be as close to ready as the WP8 app is, who knows.

How'd you get to be so smart bawboh? :cool:

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
If its easy to port from Android to BB, then why shouldn't Skype spend 10 minutes porting the app?

I think it has something to do with the Android "VM but not a VM" they use. It may not be able to access the APIs to get to the FFC, or maybe it can, but it's not of good quality. Then again, I can't really say for sure as nothing has even been released to the public yet.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
A lot of the BB10 launch was super hype prior to launch. I am not sure anyone else noticed, but at one point they were demonstrating screen sharing between a phone in London and one in New York. The phone in London was flipping through their pictures, which would show up on the phone in New York. I pointed out to the people in my office, that the last 5 pictures in that slide show showed up on the phone in New York, before the phone in London flipped to them. The last one by a good 3 seconds. This tells me that it was a pre-prepared sequence that was being shown (and subsequently lost sync), not a live demonstration of their software, as they claimed.

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
A lot of the BB10 launch was super hype prior to launch. I am not sure anyone else noticed, but at one point they were demonstrating screen sharing between a phone in London and one in New York. The phone in London was flipping through their pictures, which would show up on the phone in New York. I pointed out to the people in my office, that the last 5 pictures in that slide show showed up on the phone in New York, before the phone in London flipped to them. The last one by a good 3 seconds. This tells me that it was a pre-prepared sequence that was being shown (and subsequently lost sync), not a live demonstration of their software, as they claimed.

This I saw too. Something strange happened there

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Microsoft will launch Skype on BBOS10 before WP8. Also, what I'm wondering about BBOS10 with blackberry world is that aren't most of their apps still for the older platform, won't that mean that they will work on BBOS10 but not really be a "real" app for BBOS10, I mean that they probably won't work with all of the touch features...I'm guessing at this point. Still, the ability to answer Skype calls like a phone call puts WP8 way ahead of the pack in terms of integration

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3