It's the little things that stand out.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
For me, it's when I'm on the camera interface and I change the phone's orientation, the little buttons (for flash and stuff) smoothly rotate themselves a second later.
I love that.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Could be controversial this one, due to button placement - Search button and its ability to instantly cut through anything your phone is doing to search. The results come up as local, web and media. Icing on the cake that its voice controlled too.

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I like how the messaging icon changes to a wink when you get a text, and then changes to the open mouth when you have lots of text and a sad face if your text failed to send. It is a little thing but it makes the phone more fun!

nander

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If I get a new email and go to that inbox and immediately quit without actually clicking on the email(s), the number on the Live Tile goes away. I love that, seriously wish my iPad and iPod touch did this.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If I get a new email and go to that inbox and immediately quit without actually clicking on the email(s), the number on the Live Tile goes away. I love that, seriously wish my iPad and iPod touch did this.

That is a great feature - the bonus with it is the email stays as unread and is the same as your accent colour so you know its still there to read - does it for texts messages too

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
For me, it's the City lense to find the least populated areas to bury the bodies. :devil:

Seriously....it's the entire package. Ease of use in any way I can think of.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd also like to chime in about the aesthetics. As a graphic designer/font connoisseur, I love the focus of great typography and how much it means for the OS. Yes, yes, it's an obvious feature. But sometimes I'll catch myself looking at great app interfaces like from Brit + Co., USA Today, Vimeo, and Shop Advisor and just beam at how seamlessly they mixed their branding and styles with the UI of Windows Phone. Absolutely gorgeous. :)

This is key for me too. Coming from Android, I appreciate that apps comply with the UI of the OS instead of varying wildly and following whatever perverse sense of design the developer decides they want to adopt. That is one of the most annoying features of Android for me honestly.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I thought of another one! The way everything is so consistent throughout the OS just amazes me. The interfaces are all familiar, so I am not left wondering what to do at a certain screen. Also, the Bing integration and everything about it on WP8 is stunning.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
It's awesome how every tap you make on the phone causes an animation, making loading times seem short and making the phone appear buttery smooth!

Also, it's really cool how if you want to change how your whole phone works, just change the accent color. The OS changes, the tiles change, the keyboard changes, the apps change, etc!

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Old timers of WP know this. In Games Hub, you can make your avatar fall down by shaking your phone hard. Poking him used to incite reaction (he would get angry after a while and just walk out on me) but it doesn't seem to work anymore. But he might have learned a new trick or two - I saw him do a backflip today.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Old timers of WP know this. In Games Hub, you can make your avatar fall down by shaking your phone hard. Poking him used to incite reaction (he would get angry after a while and just walk out on me) but it doesn't seem to work anymore. But he might have learned a new trick or two - I saw him do a backflip today.

I remember doing that on my HTC Trophy, if you keep making him fall for 3 times in a row he gets really mad and "cracks" your screen while vibrating the phone. It was kinda scary when I did it on the Trophy cause its vibrations are really strong XD

onedrummer2401

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
You can swipe away toast notifications? you mean the 1 inch bar that pops up at the top?

HOW???? Ive been trying for ages, the toast comes up for 20 seconds i cannot swipe away on l920, or i am missing something obvious

please help

Well they're not one inch, more like a cm. You swipe from left to right. If you mean the volume controls, just tap the back button.

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Ha ha, didn't know about this one! Just shook my phone and poked at 'me'. My avatar stomped his foot, gritted his teeth and smashed my screen. Love it.

Saiyaku

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I remember doing that on my HTC Trophy, if you keep making him fall for 3 times in a row he gets really mad and "cracks" your screen while vibrating the phone. It was kinda scary when I did it on the Trophy cause its vibrations are really strong XD

I was more surprised when I discovered my avatar spastically "dancing" to my music when I went to the game hub without stopping Zune. Quite hilarious, much more when listening to classical or slow tempo. :D

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I was more surprised when I discovered my avatar spastically "dancing" to my music when I went to the game hub without stopping Zune. Quite hilarious, much more when listening to classical or slow tempo. :D

Well that definitely seems interesting, gonna check that out :D

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I should say a very nice thread...its really important how this small things makes one fall in love with the platform...

Really love the animations in live tiles...like the name of the artist in music tile, the avatar in games tiles, facial expressions in messages tile.

I have been using this platform since one year and am still discovering new things about it..

Padmasali

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
for me built in apps like... XBox: you get all games in one place, you create or edit your avatar, if you bored just see what your avatar doing...
XBox Music + Videos: you not only get music and videos, but you all so check music and video related app in one place and history related all those app in one place...
Photo app: you not only see phone or cam photos, but you all so can access skydrive, facebook and other photo related apps too...
and allso People hub, camera app{lens}, office and note...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers