Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

I'm liking everything about WP 8. What I want now is the ability to set the white or black background to an actual picture. Its too plain.

Youd need continous wallpapers for that, seeing as how the start screen just changes vertically as you add/subtract more tiles.
  3.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by travisel View Post
    This is my 3rd Windows device.

- 2006 MOTO Q9c "WM5.0"
    - 2009 LG IQ GW825 "WM6.5"
    - 2012 Samsung ATIV S "WP8"

I love my new ATIV S Windows Phone 8 😎 So buttery smooth!

It only get's better with every new update.....can't wait to see what they are doing with WP8.1 ? 6 week's from now! 😎
    6 weeks from now ?? Really? That would be great, I can see a notification center on the way...
  4.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojogill View Post
    I'm liking everything about WP 8. What I want now is the ability to set the white or black background to an actual picture. Its too plain.
    yea I got that idea too one day, but now I know that's the idea of WP .. To keep you focus on what really matters.
    Nokia 822 love it, I will never look back WP8 is awesome has a few bugs to work out but it will happen some time soon..
    Till then just don't give up
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Yes. There's no other phone currently on the market I would take over my 920.

There are naturally obvious downsides and shortcomings, but every phone does and to me they arn't of the caliber that would make me even consider anything else at this time.

Me too. There are a lot of things that still missing from WP8 but I liked my lumia 820 and the OS.

Global Posts
    1,773 Global Posts
    I do love WP8... I have a Nokia 822. Because I'm a mobile admin at work and we currently use Good Mobile Messaging, my 822 is not yet my daily driver. I'm using mostly my Galaxy S3 since I feel I need to use Good like my customers are. We are also evaulating/configuring Exchange ActiveSync to lessen our need for Good so that will allow me to do the switch. Even though I'm using my GS3 90% of the time, I still spend 90% of my forum time here since WP is still where my love is.
    JerseySal likes this.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Nope. I went through this same experiment when WP7 came out. Great phone but in my opinion there is little depth once you get past the sexy OS. This time around I started with a 920, then downsized to an 820 and kept that for 2 months. Happy to say goodbye and get back to a phone with much better capabilities and ecosystem.

Pros:
    • Awesome UI
    • Fast
    • Email App
    • Office
    • Good sms handling of emoji and images
    • The british chick's voice on Nokia Drive ;)

Cons:
    • Too many apps that are important to me do not exist (or in some cases there are crappy alternatives). The "top 50" or whatever doesn't really apply to me.
    • Multitasking has gaps. Due to the backgrounding capabilities, sometimes I want to close apps that are open. That is a royal PITA
    • IE10 (sorry, I know IE10 is fast but most sites out there are optimized for webkit)
    • No support for true 3rd party browsers that are not based on IE
    • No Google support (Again, sorry but google maps is the bomb and I did not like the youtube options...no not even the mighty metrotube).
    • Funkiness...like everytime I launch skydrive and play an mp3 it says "Not supported"...but if I exit and relaunch it works fine
    • Some functionality missing that I miss such as copy/paste pics, animated gifs in SMS and location based reminders
    • 2-3 sudden reboots a day
    • Had to pack a charger with me (battery life not so hot)
    • No hardware that truly fit my hardware preference (light, fast hardware, excellent display, plenty of storage). Before you suggest 8X, I couldn't stand the colors available.
    • No wireless music sync that I know of.
    • No earbuds with volume control (I don't like inner-ear phones)

Nothing personal. I'm not somebody who bashes phones or pledges some silly allegance to a product line. I think microsoft, google and apple all have really awesome products these days. Different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by aced411; 02-01-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq likes this.

I love my Lumia 920. My battery life is NOT an issue, and I wonder if those folks who have battery problems are not suffering from application battery issues rather than anything specific with the OS.

I don't let every app have live tiles, and I have been prudent about installing a bunch of apps, just because they catch my eye. I've already installed apps and then deleted them when I found I rarely, if ever, looked at them.

Let's face it, folks...It can be just as easy to load up your phone with marginally-useful, resource-hogging apps as it is to load up your desktop PC with the same kind of dreck.

We should be sure we're trying to solve the right problem, and not jumping to the wrong conclusions about the cause for some of the issues discussed. The fact that some of us are having great experiences on our phones, while others are having lots of problems with exactly the same device should be a warning sign for all of us. Let's track down the real culprits.
  11.    #36  
    Any idea about the 8.1 update ? When its going to be pushed ?

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Korfuntu View Post
    I love my Lumia 920. My battery life is NOT an issue, and I wonder if those folks who have battery problems are not suffering from application battery issues rather than anything specific with the OS.

I don't let every app have live tiles, and I have been prudent about installing a bunch of apps, just because they catch my eye. I've already installed apps and then deleted them when I found I rarely, if ever, looked at them.

Let's face it, folks...It can be just as easy to load up your phone with marginally-useful, resource-hogging apps as it is to load up your desktop PC with the same kind of dreck.

We should be sure we're trying to solve the right problem, and not jumping to the wrong conclusions about the cause for some of the issues discussed. The fact that some of us are having great experiences on our phones, while others are having lots of problems with exactly the same device should be a warning sign for all of us. Let's track down the real culprits.
    I was able to squeeze maybe an extra hour of battery by removing the two live tile apps I enjoyed (WP Central and Weather Flow). I carefully managed what was allowed background access, always removed apps I didn't use and closed apps when finished. I'm not an ***** and I had what I consider poor battery life. I have to wonder what you consider "good" battery life? I get up at 4:15am and am in bed by 10pm and I don't expect to charge until bedtime. The phone I left and returned to had no problems with that. To be fair, I can't speak for the 920. The 820 has a smaller battery.

Global Posts
    1,716 Global Posts
    This is the first thread here to which I've paid any attention in several weeks. Instead of trying to address problems, let's try to stay on-topic as to whether WP8 users are satisfied or not, and why. Address problems in other threads. :)
    Thanked by:
  14.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by aced411 View Post
    I was able to squeeze maybe an extra hour of battery by removing the two live tile apps I enjoyed (WP Central and Weather Flow). I carefully managed what was allowed background access, always removed apps I didn't use and closed apps when finished. I'm not an ***** and I had what I consider poor battery life. I have to wonder what you consider "good" battery life? I get up at 4:15am and am in bed by 10pm and I don't expect to charge until bedtime. The phone I left and returned to had no problems with that. To be fair, I can't speak for the 920. The 820 has a smaller battery.
    got a big problem with battery life in the few early days buy with some battery cycles I THOUGHT it gone better until I compared it to my friend's. He can easily go through the day with a single night charge while I was struggling to save my battery for emails and calls.
    Asked the guys here in the forums and got a lot of good tips... And now after doing them in finally happy with battery life, actually I'm not feeling that I made a mistake anymore :)

1- Skype, whatsapp, IM+ and CNN are battery killers... I'm using kik instead whatsapp.
    2- turn off Xbox sync if you don't really need it.
    3- and u probably know that , but, email syncing takes alot of battery ... Try maximizing the refresh periods.. I have to accounts, made one manually.

Yes very happy! Have had my 8x for about a month and I'm totally in love with it!!! thats saying a lot coming from a 20 year old college girl getting shoved apple and instagram everywhere I go :P
    *unfazed*
    DavidinCT likes this.

After 3 month heavy use, my HTC 8X running on WP8 is my best mobile phone experience so far!

I really like my 920. The thing I "hate" the most is having all three buttons on the same side of the phone. I liked the setup on my Focus better where the on/off button was in the upper left. it's not a big deal but the OP asked us to describe what we don't like about the phone. If that's my biggest complaint, it should be obvious that I think the phone is stellar.

Long time Nokia user, first time windows phone user. Started out pleasantly surprised, still positively content. Enjoying more games I can play with people. Everything I need works (phone calls, emails, calendar, camera, google maps via gmaps)

Expecting more updates to come sooner rather than later like notifications center to collect all toasts, proper Skype app, general app updates especially those where toasts stop working until reinstalled, more support from third party

I'm incredibly happy with my Lumia 920. The OS is great, the phone has been stable and battery life generally has been quite good. Two months in and I still take note of how this phone feels in my hands; it feels good.

I'm not so happy with the app store. But even there, my phone is loaded up with some good games, many of which I haven't even touched all that much. I don't need many other apps and have never been much of a fan of replicating functionality already present on the phone. But I can see being frustrated with that aspect as well. It bothers me more from the perspective that I don't feel like Microsoft is currently doing enough to promote the platform.

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Wife is happy with the hardware of the phone but the WP8 OS is crap. MS should have taken it's time and did this right as it has to many bugs and missing features.

Ive had 1 restart, thats all the bug I've seen.
    No real missing features either. Which features do you miss, and what bugs do you experience?
  22.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by LeLee092 View Post
    Yes very happy! Have had my 8x for about a month and I'm totally in love with it!!! thats saying a lot coming from a 20 year old college girl getting shoved apple and instagram everywhere I go :P
    *unfazed*
    Should I recommend a 8x for my gf ?

Global Posts
    3,042 Global Posts
    I am more satisfied with the hardware than the software. WP8 doesnt feel like a substantial advancemant over WP7.5 apart from the browser and in a lot of cases (music/videos, stability) its worse. There is no sign of app linking apart from Nokia's location apps, a half hearted backup solution is offered, and email still lacks features like attaching docs. All we got was kids corner, lockscreen wallpapers and some other B list features. Far from the promise of the adverts showing a WP device interacting with a Kinect Xbox game or the integrated VOIP that was touted back at the dev conference. Hopefully MS starts to focus more and improves the OS quickly rather than at the pedestrian pace they are moving at now.
    Banned

I like WP8 and my handset (Lumia 920) but I also have issues with both that tend to leave me less satisfied than I would have been with a high end android. I'll skip the phone issues since that isn't the current topic of discussion but as far as the OS goes.

1. Apps, there is a really crazy disconnect going on between Microsoft and reality if they don't realize the importance of getting instagram on the OS and improving some of the core apps. They have simply abandoned their momentum by giving consumers such a clear cut reason not to choose WP8 and it's sad because the interface is fast, slick and visually pleasing.

2. The Environment, everything seems so limited in the name of security that it blows out the need for any security at all. What corporation could ever roll out WP8 handsets when you can't email a pdf from them or VPN into your office network. Even for non corporate users the "enhanced security" really confines the ecosystem, simple tasks like scheduled podcast updates become impossible and it really makes you feel like you have to work around your handset instead of your handset working to serve you.

3. Syncing, I use windows 7 at home and I never imagined a device could sync so poorly that I would rather use itunes. Microsoft is the largest software company in the world and they have given us the most basic and ineffective tool I could imagine for sync. Music sync poorly, dupes, some mp3's wont sync with no explanation. Photos sync, then create a folder called sync'd photos which also syncs and leaves you with a true mess. Thank god you can drag and drop, otherwise transferring anything would be totally impossible.

Yes I am completely satisfied with my Lumia 920, and I know the features that is missing won't be a big deal.
    Having said that, hopefully MS adds more features to WP8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast