Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts
    ^ I totally agree. For me, I just simply left and will deal with it. I will sit on the sideline while it picks up to where I need it to be, for my needs. It's still my favorite OS, but I just need time for the bugs (that any new OS will have) to be fixed, and things missing to be added for MY needs.

I think where people start getting worried and posting is from Microsoft acting like they don't pay attention to what people are saying. Tech blogs, people on this forum (which they claim they listen to), reviewers, anyone who could be a potential customer; their voice is who you, as a company, should listen to. It's not about just doing things to keep up to pace with the other companies, but it's about meeting the requests of your customers while putting your own spin on it. For example, adding a notification center would be meeting requirements of your customer base, but make it so that it's unique from other operating systems. Just telling people "Our live tile interface is unique and so different that you could use that as a notification center" just doesn't fly. It's this type of attitude that people get angry about...

I think this is the problem Microsoft is facing; when they themselves talk about the great reasons a customer should get a Windows Phone, they talk about Live Tiles and how Facebook, Twitter, etc is tied into the OS. They state that's it's different from other OSes, and you're then making yourself different from the clones out there. The problem with this is they're trying to force this down customers' throats with THEIR ideas of what the OS should contain, instead of taking suggestions. Android and iOS can afford to do this they've met most of their customers' requirements (IE higher sales), but when you have next-to-0 marketshare, ALREADY have a bad image as a company (you can't tell me that people just HATE Microsoft because they're Microsoft), and try to give people reasons as to why they should just accept your company's philosophy about a given topic of the OS, you're asking for backlash...

Just my .02
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    1,870 Global Posts
    Skulls of the shogun is cool and all that but, how many games acutally work like that ?

Everyone is up and arms about BB10 and their 70K apps but, does everyone on here know that they Made a Dev tool that will convert ANY android app to BB with almost NO CHANGES IN CODE ????? That app that you have been waiting for that is available for Android or iOS WILL be avaiable for BB but, not for Windows Phone. So everyone who is upset about it, should be. This is something I even worry about and most of these apps (besides games) I could care less about.

Nothing takes away that I love my Windows Phone 8 device and yes better than iOS or Android but, it does not take away from Apps and games I want and SHOULD have by now. With Windows Phone Microsoft has said a lot of things but, there is still a lot it can't meet up with. Where is this great app to sync with (Have you seen the WP sync app ? It's a joke) ? Where is this beta tester program so we can get updates before everyone ? Where are all these apps that they claim we are getting ? Xbox....Where are the key titles for xbox exclusives ? Can we even play other xbox members from our phone ? Why I can't hear audio messages from my fellow xbox members on my phone ?

Dont get me wrong, I will stick with my device because I do like it and like it better than the other options but, the limits of Windows Phone does bother me a little.... and people with WP should let MS know about it..
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I need Path. That's it.

Oh, yes - Temple Run won't hurt!
    Last edited by tositem; 02-01-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    danjah likes this.
    Voip is more fcukd than anything else. Viber, no calls. Skype, hardly. Line, no calls. Is there any voip app, that isn't gtalk, that works flawlessly? No. 3 years since they are in this game, trust me they are taking it as a proper marathon like they said :(

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I have said and seen this in other threads... Microsoft has the OS and hardware battle won but the app store battle lost..

You could switch our store with apples app store and there would still be complaints...

I feel like Microsoft is trying to deliver the apps to us but the developers see Microsoft as the evil company.. The hipster or in style phone is the iPhone.. When grandmas, aunts, cousins and others have it.. Developers see the money.. Not to add that Apple has the best marketing campaigns next to Nike.. journalism doesn't help Microsoft either.. They look to rip Microsoft a new ******* at any chance..

At the end of the day.. You can wait and pray or move on like others have said..
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
    Everyone is up and arms about BB10 and their 70K apps but, does everyone on here know that they Made a Dev tool that will convert ANY android app to BB with almost NO CHANGES IN CODE ????? That app that you have been waiting for that is available for Android or iOS WILL be avaiable for BB but, not for Windows Phone.
    Have you actually read up on reviews of that feature? It's an emulated environment running an outdated version of Android. So you've got apps referencing Android functionality which is a big problem in and of itself. The bigger problem is that everything runs like crap. As it stands it's a clumsy novelty that Blackberry shouldn't have made available because it's just going to result in a lot of pissed off users.

I was impressed when I first started reading up on Blackberry. But the more I learn the more skeptical I become of the platform. The entire OS seems to have a steep learning curve. There's a lot of neat functionality, but it's not intuitive. Ironically, it's kind of like the Office of mobile OSs. Most people are overwhelmed by the functionality overload and even power users sometimes end up frustrated.

Blackberry might enjoy a spurt of development early on, like Windows Phone 7 experienced in the early days, but we'll see if it's sustainable. Of course, the publicity is stealing Windows Phone's thunder which is why Microsoft needs to start pushing the platform more aggressively.

Global Posts
    1,870 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uselessrobot View Post
    Have you actually read up on reviews of that feature? It's an emulated environment running an outdated version of Android. So you've got apps referencing Android functionality which is a big problem in and of itself. The bigger problem is that everything runs like crap. As it stands it's a clumsy novelty that Blackberry shouldn't have made available because it's just going to result in a lot of pissed off users.

I was impressed when I first started reading up on Blackberry. But the more I learn the more skeptical I become of the platform. The entire OS seems to have a steep learning curve. There's a lot of neat functionality, but it's not intuitive. Ironically, it's kind of like the Office of mobile OSs. Most people are overwhelmed by the functionality overload and even power users sometimes end up frustrated.

Blackberry might enjoy a spurt of development early on, like Windows Phone 7 experienced in the early days, but we'll see if it's sustainable. Of course, the publicity is stealing Windows Phone's thunder which is why Microsoft needs to start pushing the platform more aggressively.
    yes I did read about it and that it was an emulator but, from reports I read, smaller apps (a lot of big name apps) not really games unless it was smaller puzzle type games would run perfectly and the end users would never know. Sure, heavy graphics games might not run but, a lot of those "missing apps" are part of them that can be "emulated" and it pads their numbers more.

I dont wan to turn this discusson into a BB vs. WP but, there is a steep learning curve for BB and after looking over the videos about the OS, I can tell you for sure, Windows Phone has nothing to worry about on that aspect, as WP is a lot easier to use.

Time will see where BB goes but, I still wonder why BB got all these missing apps and we are still waiting for a lot of them....
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

Thanked by:

I did not intend to sound like I am bashing WP. I love my 920 and sticking with it because it works best for me. I don't like that MS talked about getting top apps and not a single one has shown up.

No, I don't expect WP to be the first on the list for developers, but I want to see MS respond to this app gap with actions, not just talk. If developers don't want to develop I would stay with the phone as long as I could do without those apps.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar1223 View Post
    ^ I totally agree. For me, I just simply left and will deal with it. I will sit on the sideline while it picks up to where I need it to be, for my needs. It's still my favorite OS, but I just need time for the bugs (that any new OS will have) to be fixed, and things missing to be added for MY needs.

I think where people start getting worried and posting is from Microsoft acting like they don't pay attention to what people are saying. Tech blogs, people on this forum (which they claim they listen to), reviewers, anyone who could be a potential customer; their voice is who you, as a company, should listen to. It's not about just doing things to keep up to pace with the other companies, but it's about meeting the requests of your customers while putting your own spin on it. For example, adding a notification center would be meeting requirements of your customer base, but make it so that it's unique from other operating systems. Just telling people "Our live tile interface is unique and so different that you could use that as a notification center" just doesn't fly. It's this type of attitude that people get angry about...

I think this is the problem Microsoft is facing; when they themselves talk about the great reasons a customer should get a Windows Phone, they talk about Live Tiles and how Facebook, Twitter, etc is tied into the OS. They state that's it's different from other OSes, and you're then making yourself different from the clones out there. The problem with this is they're trying to force this down customers' throats with THEIR ideas of what the OS should contain, instead of taking suggestions. Android and iOS can afford to do this they've met most of their customers' requirements (IE higher sales), but when you have next-to-0 marketshare, ALREADY have a bad image as a company (you can't tell me that people just HATE Microsoft because they're Microsoft), and try to give people reasons as to why they should just accept your company's philosophy about a given topic of the OS, you're asking for backlash...

Just my .02
    That's a very positive critique, well done.
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    People who are talking about lack of apps and so on shouldn't be shut down because they are hurting your precious OS. It is just healthy to talk about some annoyances. Many people have entered 2 year contracts with their phones so they are stuck with their devices for 2 years. Who knows how long people will be waiting for basic features. For the people who say they don't care about apps that's fair enough but some things are just irritating. I have a seperate notification tone for facebook, twitter, gmail and text messages so I know exactly what app is trying to notify me without even glancing at the phone and even then I have a notification light letting me know I have a notification therefore I don't have to unnecessarily unlock my phone to see notifications. Do I have any control over these things on windows phone? No

I'm not out to get the operating system, I actually really like it and I WANT it to be successful. These are just a few gripes that I have and other people share these gripes.
    Developer

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    im not talking about apps now but I was a windows phone user(htc Mozart) then me and 3 of my friends switched to the 4s later (3 months before ios6 release). and after the release we updated to ios6 what should I say viola 3 of us got non working wifi phones and now all of us got lumias.
    and believe me after that I always look for the user experience from the os side and not the app availability

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    should of switched to android!

a lot of those "missing apps" are part of them that can be "emulated" and it pads their numbers more.
    but this begs the question: why settle for this pseudo android hodgepodge when you can get a real android device (and up to date, to boot!) for the same price? The moment bb10 decided to shape itself like Android while running emulated Android apps, they already lost the "differentiation wars".

Ps: quote != thanks, damn this wpcentral app :/

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I say wait to see what Microsoft has to say @WMC Feb 25/13.

http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/

Windows Phone 8.1 to be shown. 😎
    What's WP8.1 name again hush...hush? Fix what? Add what?

Now with alot of talk about the new BB10 OS and almost NO talk about the new iOS6.1 ...? What's up with that? Android 5.0 "Key Lime Pie" in the works Microsoft better be ready to keep all of us happy!
    ATIV S is LIFE

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiyaku View Post
    but this begs the question: why settle for this pseudo android hodgepodge when you can get a real android device (and up to date, to boot!) for the same price? The moment bb10 decided to shape itself like Android while running emulated Android apps, they already lost the "differentiation wars".

this is exactly how i think about this. the BB Z10 is expected to be $199 with last years hardware. why would i buy a z10 when i can spend that $199 on an android that doesnt need an emulator? and speaking of the emulator, apps dont look good on it. it doesnt give you the updated android graphics, it's gingerbread graphics. not good. but i can understand some of the frustrations about apps. i too wish the app movement would move faster, but it just doesnt work like that. remember in 2009 when android had a horrible store and their market share was nothing compared to the iphone? look at where they are now. WP8 is not like WP7, the kernel is different and more flexible for what MS wants to do. but it was somewhat backwards compatible to where some WP7 apps could be used on it, although they wouldnt be able to look as good on it as a native WP8 app. that allowed MS to open WP8 with 125k apps. can blackberry say that? they only opening with 70k apps. all the apps they have WP8 already has. most the games they have WP8 already has and there's lots of games WP8 has that bb10 doesnt. and bb10 still has the same issue with google not making apps for them and instagram not making an app. atleast WP8 has a nice 3rd party instagram app, you just cant upload pics with it, then again neither can any other 3rd party instagram app. bb10 has a 20 million installed user base, WP8 has 45 million. i'm just trying to say, while some apps arent here, there is STILL alot to like about WP8 and it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Im still waiting on Pandora, the updates to Angry Birds Star Wars and for Skype to actually work without causing 8x to reboot
    Developer

-Facebook, twitter and Skype apps are crap
    -They promised a lot of games but only Disney games became available
    -Even the Skydrive app is buggy. It stops working if you try to upload multiple files

-Some countries still don't have the portico update

I don't want to switch back to other platforms but even Microsoft doesn't support the platform. Skype for iOS or Android is way better than the Windows Phone version
    therealper likes this.

This year will be make or break for Microsoft and windows phone. They need to get WP8.1 out the door and fix all the missing features. Im not too bothered about app count but when wp consistently has the worst version then its a big problem. Unfortunately the only thing that will fix this is market share which will force devs to pay more attention to wp apps.

Global Posts
    1,870 Global Posts

Because 90% of the users who buy smart phones are not us. They dont check fourms who has the better phone, they dont chat with others about phones, they walk into a store because they want or need a new smartphone. Hey a new blackberry, I have not had one in years, let me try it, oh, it has they **** app that my brother talked about, cool, I'll try it. Most cases they get a phone based on what the sales rep tells them is good.

Most people dont care, they dont care as long as it works. Blackberry's big claim here is their name and it's what they are counting on, People had one for work, they look at new phones, it's a name they know and they have the apps they want, Hmmmm....

Older Android apps or newer ones, do the big non media titles get updates for older versions of Android, I am sure, so they will work....

My first smartphone was a WP7, now I have a WP8, I dont think I realize the severity of the app gap, ignorance is bliss :)
    freelancebaker and danjah like this.

The big apps are coming. It'll take a little time for developers to get their arms around this NEW OS and once they do, you'll see them.
    danjah likes this.

Hey a new blackberry, I have not had one in years, let me try it, oh, it has they **** app that my brother talked about, cool, I'll try it.
    more realistically it would be "hey, a blackberry, are they still making these things?" :D

or more to the point, you as a prospective buyer walk towards the cell phone aisle and notice that ios is not like WP who is not like android who is not like bla... hey, is this thing running android?

Had to replace my 920 (creaking top and resetting all the time). Since then SOLID. Not planning to go anywhere - I agree with everyone out there. MS should have just NOT promised the big apps - set the expectations lower. They could learn a lot from NOKIA. They push for their customers to have the best of what matters. Thanks NOKIA!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,870 Global Posts
    more realistically it would be "hey, a blackberry, are they still making these things?" :D

or more to the point, you as a prospective buyer walk towards the cell phone aisle and notice that ios is not like WP who is not like android who is not like bla... hey, is this thing running android?
    I hear ya but, If you walk into a store and need to buy say a...TV. When you look at the brands, It's a 95% chance that you would pick up a brand you have heard of or used before and would question off brands. This has been proven before. It's just human nature.

I make that statement because, most customers do not care, will the device work for me ? Will it do what I need ? Is it a little different than what everyone else has(iSheep or fandriods do not ask this question) ? Right now that is Black Berry and Windows Phone, Blackberry has instagram or XXXX app, WP does not. What would a non teche look at ?

The emulation thing for BB is something people should worry about because to the end user....BB has this, WP does not...It does not matter on how they get it, they have access to it on their phone.

I guess on this side people could say....Hey, I use Windows at work, I must have this phone :)

Global Posts
    2,173 Global Posts
    You all can keep saying, "the apps are coming" all you want but that doesn't make it true. BB10 has instragram now: Photo by crackberrykevin • Instagram . This was pulled from the WP8 forum into the BB subforum where no one goes.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast