Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

It's been three months since Microsoft's WP8 announcement, where they promised us all of the top apps from iOS and Android. My question is where are they now???
    Thanked by:
    jaqueh 
    jaqueh and sharpinator like this.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    What specific apps are we talking about here?

Global Posts
    2,911 Global Posts
    4113584-_f8e8738b6c5b992751937717f2a53beb.jpg
    This is one of the main reasons I traded my 920 for a 4s. Outside of the bugs with WP8 and things still missing, Microsoft just hasn't (at least to me) demonstrated that they are serious about competing in the mobile space. They delivered countless broken promises to get people to trust the platform again, after shafting 7.X users with no update.I hate iOS (and Apple for that matter), but at least Apple delivers on their promises and shows dedication to their OS instead of making everything work for OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS before dedicating hard work to their own products.

Those big name apps from big name companies matter. Just because they don't matter to techy people, or windows phone fans, doesn't mean it will slide with an average consumer. Microsoft cant assume they'll keep ppl on a string of broken promises that don't materialize, believing they have enough dedicated fans to survive in the mobile OS race .I'm waiting for Microsoft to get it together before I come back, but as it stands, Microsoft is treating Windows Phone like a side pet project.
    Thanked by:
    theefman and aubreyq like this.

I was expecting with all the fuss about viber that it would be out by now for one.

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I miss my jetpack joyride and temple run :/
    Thanked by:
    Wokia 

I don't think you're seeing a lack of effort on Microsoft's part. They can only do so much to lure developers. Ultimately it's up to the app owner to make it happen.

It's less that I need the apps and more that I want them to deliver promptly on the things they announce. And yes, MS can only do so much, but it looks like BB10 has been doing a lot more in terms of courting app developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703 View Post
    I don't think you're seeing a lack of effort on Microsoft's part. They can only do so much to lure developers. Ultimately it's up to the app owner to make it happen.
    Exactly .. but Ms should really work with the developers and push the app owners to make the WP version. That's a part of the system.
    Even their own apps aren't working well . Athh**&%*$** SKYPE &%**$*#
    Don't get me wrong, I Love WP. But its that I can't find some of the basics here .. My friends would laugh at me when they know I can't have viber calls on a 2013 phone.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    My HTC One S broke about 4 weeks ago and I've been using my 8x for those 4 weeks as my daily driver but I got my One S back yesterday and I've got to say how I've missed android! I forgot how much I love it, my 8x has gone straight back into the draw and I'm really struggling to sell it! One went for 250 on ebay today and that's ridiculous considering it was 2 weeks old and they cost over 100 brand new. Windows phones are still regarded as bottom of the pile considering they price drop in just 2 months! Getting back to what I was saying though, I think it's ridiculous how they still don't have the big apps and it's really hurting the platform. All the people that say they love windows phone as it is and they don't care can keep the os lol you'll be the ones sitting there with a toy and not a "real phone" The 8x has a beautiful design and HD screen but yet my One S with an samoled pentile qhd display is back to being my main driver purely because of android. Notification light when I get messages, temple run, instagram, twitter app just as good as the desktop site, facebook app with as many features as the desktop site. It's just a shame that wp hasn't grown yet.
    Thanked by:
    jaqueh 
    naw1, jaqueh, therealper and 1 others like this.

this is killing me too. Not only are apps missing, in many cases the ones we do have just suck eggs compared to android/iOS versions.

seriously thinking about trying to swap the 920, but I think I might just suck it up and wait until the next gen of phones hits this fall. iPhone 5S might be too good to pass up...
    naw1 likes this.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I'd do it as soon as possible or you can risk it and hope that windows phone 8 improves. The longer this goes on for the quicker the value will decrease

i find it funny that people blame developers, ms just doesnt make any reasons for ppl to build apps for there halfbaked platform, wp8 has nothing going for it. sure its different but there going to be more different oses in the future aka bb10.

Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703 View Post
    there is obviously a lack of efforts oj Microsoft's part, just look at their weather app, their reader app, their Xbox smartglass.....
    Thanked by:
    jaqueh 
    aubreyq and jaqueh like this.

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    there is obviously a lack of efforts oj Microsoft's part, just look at their weather app, their reader app, their Xbox smartglass.....
    Look at their Facebook app and Skype too. We waited with WP7 for basic features to be released to the Facebook app, yet we're in febuary and we're still waiting.

I see WP failing again. What was the point if they were not serious about it?
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    1,310 Global Posts
    The only app I don't have is Ally Bank. And BB10 doesn't have it either. So I am happy.
    Thanked by:
    naw1 and viper151 like this.
    Seems like a bash thread to me. Honestly I wish the third party development was much better but natively this 8x trumps my galaxy s3, my iPhone 5 and my Droid DNA.

Do I miss being able to use instagram when I feel like it. Sure. Do I miss certain games? Definitely.

But as restrictive as apple is with their is....more so than Microsoft with windows phone 8 and then having to wait 6 or months for my android manufacturer to decide to update my phone or not....i make a choice.

Do I choose a less restrictive but still secure OS that shall provide me quicker updates and the native os is better to me than android or ios....or do I choose an os because it has a silly game I like or a silly picture app.

Microsoft and windows phone can improve their third party apps a lot easier than android can fix lag(quad core processors don't help) and for that fact alone this os is not half-baked to me and I can certainly wait for these apps to come.
    Thanked by:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Though I'm not happy about the current app situation, I do feel like the future looks bright.

Window 8 slowly but surely is going to expand the user base. While devs may not be impressed with current WP8 numbers, they will eventually feel the need to create metro apps for the desktop/laptop users running windows 8. The nice thing about windows 8 runtime environment is a lot of the code is portable. Meaning compatible between windows 8, windows 8rt and windows phone 8. So the popularity of one of those platforms brings potential benefits to all of them.

IMHO a brilliant move on Microsoft's part. Still doesn't make waiting any easier...but more apps are coming.
    Thanked by:
    unreal_rik likes this.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar1223 View Post
    This is one of the main reasons I traded my 920 for a 4s. Outside of the bugs with WP8 and things still missing, Microsoft just hasn't (at least to me) demonstrated that they are serious about competing in the mobile space. They delivered countless broken promises to get people to trust the platform again, after shafting 7.X users with no update.I hate iOS (and Apple for that matter), but at least Apple delivers on their promises and shows dedication to their OS instead of making everything work for OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS before dedicating hard work to their own products.

Those big name apps from big name companies matter. Just because they don't matter to techy people, or windows phone fans, doesn't mean it will slide with an average consumer. Microsoft cant assume they'll keep ppl on a string of broken promises that don't materialize, believing they have enough dedicated fans to survive in the mobile OS race .I'm waiting for Microsoft to get it together before I come back, but as it stands, Microsoft is treating Windows Phone like a side pet project.
    I came from 4s to 920 and I don't want to switch back. 920 is so much better than the simple and plain 4s. Perhaps, im just a more techy guy than you are. :/
    Sent from my Lumia920 using Board Express

Nokia Drive was a big deal and it got released. That is huge to me as far as apps go. I know it is in beta, but at least they are trying. It's going to take some time to get up to speed on apps. The WP8 still needs to catch on. It just takes time. I think by the end of the year, we are going to see some vast steps forward with WP8. They are advertising like crazy on TV.

I don't need any other apps at all, I dont even miss instagram tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by holyxiaoxin View Post
    I came from 4s to 920 and I don't want to switch back. 920 is so much better than the simple and plain 4s. Perhaps, im just a more techy guy than you are. :/Sent from my Lumia920 using Board Express
    I hate the 4s, but it works. iOS thing is so boring and stale, but when I need it to work, it works. Siri WORKS and doesn't transcribe cuss words to me. Out of the 3 Windows Phone 8 devices I had, every time I tried to make a voice note, the dictated text wouldn't even come close to what I had said (mind you, in a quiet area at that). When I make phone calls, people can hear me crystal clear on my 4s, and don't say I sound like I'm being cutoff or in a tunnel. I'm not one that has to have EVERY APP in the world, but the apps that were announced were ones that I was always waiting for on Windows Phone (Gameloft games and other apps). What happened? They said they would be available and where are they now after 3 months....? I just got sick of things being announced and never coming to fruition.

Do I like iOS more than Windows Phone? Heck no. I just had no choice but to switch something that simply worked according to my needs, and Windows Phone is not that (at least not now). I check this blog everyday, so when I see things start picking up and Microsoft getting it together, I'll come back. Until then, I'll have to stick with this stale, boring OS that works. Again, these are according to MY NEEDS. Others may not need the apps announced, or NFC mobile wallet to be unlocked, or 32GB minimum of storage, but I DO; in addition to my "extra feature" needs, I needed my phone to work as a phone, which neither my 2 Lumia 820s nor Lumia 920 did...

And unless you're a software developer, I doubt you're as techy as me
    aubreyq and robmif76 like this.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    I think some are just not happy no matter what...there will always be an app that iOS has that android doesn't or that WP8 doesn't...
    I don't know what "bugs" people are referring to but my 920 has zero bugs...

There are so many little things that make me love the 920...Nokia drive, the dolby software, the app they made to painlessly set up connecting to a network the phone was not bought from, the constant free games they give, the camera, etc...

If you don't like the phone, sell it. I don't understand the need to whine about threatening to sell it...it's not like anyone here is going to solve your particular fundamental problem with a device...if you are not happy, move on.

These are gadgets...they are not worth getting upset about

I'm still waiting for Pandora, but not worried about counting the months or days. When it gets here, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Quick question.

If MS came out tomorrow and said "Sorry guys we tried but none of the big developers are willing to convert their apps to WP8. We tried throwing money and support at instagram, we offered the mom and pop temple run guys support, the pandora guys just wouldnt answer our calls, Mark Zuckerberg is too busy trying to get his stock value back up and working on graphical search engines, The guys from twitter are being d*cks and demanding more than were willing to give them. We just cant keep trying to convince them, were turning into the house guest that just wont leave and thats not what were about."

What would you all do? Seriously. Would you all try and back out of the contracts your on because of a couple of games that everyone else has got and you cant take random pictures of your food and feet and post them in the same place as everyone else. Would you switch to Android because the facebook app youve got isnt quite as good as the one you use on the internet? Would you switch to iOS because you know they have got a better twitter client?

Give it all time. Ive just purchased all three versions of skulls of the shogun. You know how awesome it is to sneakily play it at my desk at work, autosave it and continue the game on my surface on the train journey home then get in and finish the level on my xbox . Same game 3 different screens all seemless - can you say the same for android or apple?

If you bought a WP and expected an overnight deluge of goodness youve got it all wrong - its not gonna happen - Its going to be a slow burner. To get the most out of what MS are providing youve got to go with the 3 screens philosophy. The phones not got it all on its own, go for 2 out of 3 with an xbox and your phone gets a little more useful. Go for the trifecta with a surface or W8 tablet/PC and everything just works so well.

So i cant post a picture to instagram. Has my world ended? No. Will my world end? No. Will i post my picture of my dinner to facebook and twitter where all my friends will get to see it anyway? Yes think i will do that. Might even put a comment on saying it was indeed "quite tasty".
    So i cant play temple run like the guy next to me on the train is on his ipad mini. Has my world ended? No, Will my world end? No. Will the guy get his ipad mini stolen off him on the train? Probably. Will his world end? Definitely. Will i be sitting there playing The Gunstringer on my surface while it happens?

No. Too busy playing skulls of the shogun.

The "Big Apps" will come - but they wont be instagram and they wont be temple run. The truly big apps will be the ones that effectively use all 3 screens. Its what WP8 and W8 is all about its MS philosophy. Alot of people seem to have lost sight of that and just want to be the same as the guy next to you with his GS3 or iphone5. If you want to be that guy put down your WP and buy what the other guy has - hes got what you want.

Since BB10 launched the complaining about MS has gone through the roof. The MS bash threads are popping up daily. "Why cant we have this?" "Where is that?" "How come hes got it before I have?" Its all so incredibly depressing. Its all so incredibly "meh"
    If you dont like it people move along, theres obviously nothing for you to see here.

Apologies if anyone is offended by the above - if you are - grow up a bit. If you can rant, so can I...
    Thanked by:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast