Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 162
Like Tree80Likes
  1. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,716 Global Posts
    #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    I really feel sorry for Nokia. They make incredible phones yet they are partnered with a company who doesn't give two ****s about its phone OS ... I understand that WP8 is new and I never expected it to have most apps but for the actual OS maker to be so completely lazy with their platform...it's just mind boggling.
    See... that's my point, though. We don't know if MS actually gives two ****s or not. We don't know if they're being completely lazy or not. They could be working their asses off, but something in their corporate culture drags things out. Maybe there were shortcuts taken in the OS which need to be fixed before the apps we all want work properly, and they have to fix those first. Maybe it's just a simple question of which WP issues get priority and which don't. Maybe the developers have to cut through 40 billion yards of red tape to get apps released.

    I get your point, though. I love WP8 and my 820 - I think the device and the OS are just awesome - but it's currently sitting at home on my dresser where I use it as a WiFi-powered mini-tablet while I carry my iPhone 4S because of app and functionality issues.

    Ultimately... we just don't know what's going on at MS so to assume laziness or disinterest seems more like a rage-gasm to me than anything else.
  2. Cosmin Reti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
    Basically saying "we would love to have Instagram, but, Facebook refuses to allow us to build it"
    Microsoft is behind Facebook in some way, money, influence I don't know, but you are very wrong saying that... Mapping system in Facebook is Microsoft Bing, talking and video uses Skype engine. Windows 8 pc doesn't have an facebook app because facebook is integrated in people hub, and I love it compare with sh** facebook app on my android tablet.
    Microsoft office with Note and Outlook sync for calendar wich sync with facebook and twiter and linkedin is awesome, some of the big business in this world rely on on Outlook calendar and tasks and work and sync perfectly.
    I have a tablet and a phone with android, compared to Windows 8 desktop, I had a windows phone 7, Android is a great toy gadget, that's all, it relies on 3rd party for simple things. I have an galaxy nexus wich come with original Google OS and it sucks big time, I had before HTC with SENSE and that is the best Android interface to date. My ******ed Phone can't send a simple sms with a contact attached, I had to install GOLauncher with GOsms to have a good sms app, and go launcher apps have their own problems and so on. Microsoft is the first to creat an environment with Windows 8, phone, tablet, pc, Xbox and I hope will be right in the end. Android is great fun, great gadget, but that's all, productivity wise it suck big time, can't wait to use office on my Phone connected to my windows 2012 server and exchange, sharepoint etc... Same with Apple, why we should by a product that heavely relies on competition, office from Microsoft maps and gps from google and so on. I hope Microsoft will never release Office for Iphone and Ipad, and google will stop supporting ios for thei apps to see the true thing that Apple has to offer beside Marketing bull****, the amazing retina disply on iPhone 5 wich doesn't have the minimum HD resolution of 720p.
  3. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,713 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    Ultimately... we just don't know what's going on at MS so to assume laziness or disinterest seems more like a rage-gasm to me than anything else.
    Rage-gasm - going to make it my mission to use that word in a spoken conversation. Awesome term.
    Thanked by:
    iamtim 
  4. Cosmin Reti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    See... that's my point, though. We don't know if MS actually gives two ****s or not. We don't know if they're being completely lazy or not. They could be working their asses off, but something in their corporate culture drags things out. Maybe there were shortcuts taken in the OS which need to be fixed before the apps we all want work properly, and they have to fix those first. Maybe it's just a simple question of which WP issues get priority and which don't. Maybe the developers have to cut through 40 billion yards of red tape to get apps released.

    I get your point, though. I love WP8 and my 820 - I think the device and the OS are just awesome - but it's currently sitting at home on my dresser where I use it as a WiFi-powered mini-tablet while I carry my iPhone 4S because of app and functionality issues.

    Ultimately... we just don't know what's going on at MS so to assume laziness or disinterest seems more like a rage-gasm to me than anything else.
    I think one major problem is that most of things developed on other platforms, like ios and android, are covered by Microsoft apps wich are to good to be replaced. Can't fight Skype, i'm an Viber user on Android and I hate it, I get so many messeges like: Viber is busy or it blocked the connection, try again later, some days is not usable, Skype may sound bad for a few seconds but it works, if u pay some little subscription work like a charm, Not to say that Viber end the call almost every few minutes, rarely I spoke for 15 min without interruption.
    Gps and maps, who do you think will develop apps for WP8 with Nokia maps, drive, transit and bing maps wich are free.
    Email, tell how many email clients compare to Outlook, the one from Lotus IBM (way too bussiness)and maybe from Firefox, that's all.
    Word, Excel, Powerpoint no competiotion, and free with WP8, I have used and provided for poor client with Open Office for many years, it sucks big time.
    Outlook Calendar and tasks best in class free with WP8, no need for 10 000 calendar app, widgets, to do apps, etc... like on android.
    So wich apps are required from developers:
    Photo, games, design, news, and maybe a few more.

    So where are the money to be made from Microsft windows 8 phone, very few for small developers who made a buck with 99 cent to do apps and widget with nice design and email clients etc... And WP8 has maybe 10 million devices sold when Android tops 500 million. So if u are a small developer on wich platform will u channel your efforts, not on WP8, it is normal and logic. I would not expect to have lots and lots of developers and apps for wp8, can't compare to Android or iOS where there is rooms for money to be made.
  5. Bob Hoil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #130  
    Personally as a developer myself I can see why it is taking a bit for certain apps to show up. There is currently only so much Microsoft can do including throwing money at developers but it will still take time. Nothing is going to happen instantly especially with a large company like Microsoft.

    Nokia seems to be doing a decent job getting for some larger name games over to the platform, though they maybe exclusive to nokia phones for a time.

    It is no different then early adopters of Android. Same issues then. Just have to wait it out but with wp8 should help drive easier ports over.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
  6. TheJoester09's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    481 Posts
    PIN
    No
    #131  
    Could the reason for slow adoption by developers have anything to do with the SDK only being available on Windows 8? A lot of so-called "power users" seem to be rejecting Windows 8, and if a developer refuses to upgrade to Win8, then they're basically refusing to develop for WP8. I'd be interested to see if there would be an uptick in app releases if MS allowed the SDK to run on Windows 7.
  7. jdhooghe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    See... that's my point, though. We don't know if MS actually gives two ****s or not. We don't know if they're being completely lazy or not. They could be working their asses off, but something in their corporate culture drags things out. Maybe there were shortcuts taken in the OS which need to be fixed before the apps we all want work properly, and they have to fix those first. Maybe it's just a simple question of which WP issues get priority and which don't. Maybe the developers have to cut through 40 billion yards of red tape to get apps released.

    I get your point, though. I love WP8 and my 820 - I think the device and the OS are just awesome - but it's currently sitting at home on my dresser where I use it as a WiFi-powered mini-tablet while I carry my iPhone 4S because of app and functionality issues.

    Ultimately... we just don't know what's going on at MS so to assume laziness or disinterest seems more like a rage-gasm to me than anything else.
    Rage-gasm XD LOVE IT! I already sold my 4S for 450 bucks to pay for my 920 so no such dice for me. I just don't know, man...disheartened. Hopes dashed....
    iamtim likes this.
  8. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    #133  
    Given the deficit of apps, you really have to look and ask what does wp8 offer over the iPhone? The home screen isn't really much different than it. It's just an app launcher. Live Tiles for 3rd party apps aren't really live at all so all that leaves you with are number notifications for email, calls and SMS. IPhone does that.

    The staggered portico update has proven that WP is just as much a slave to carriers as android. IPhone isn't.

    The number of complaints of hardware and software defects is significantly higher than iphone. The resale value is awful in comparison.

    This leaves you with devices that don't have really any features that an iPhone doesn't, more defects, Android type update fragmentation, and a much lower developer support. I just don't see what could come to mind to argue a case for this platform against the iPhone.
  9. robmif76's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    #134  
    Having used the 920 for the past couple months I've nearly decided on cutting my losses and go back to iOS especially now that the iPhone5 is jailbroken. It's a great piece of kit and yes WP8 is nice and fresh but as we all agree, it needs time to develop. It's the price early adopters pay. As a consumer I am not prepared to hang around another 12-18 months for the platform to develop having to make do with alternative functionality. I blame myself for this normally I'm very good at restraining myself from impulse buys, but this time I got carried away with the WP8 candy. I agree iOS is dull in comparison and badly needs a facelift but it's much more functional and mature.
  10. Cosmin Reti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    Given the deficit of apps, you really have to look and ask what does wp8 offer over the iPhone? The home screen isn't really much different than it. It's just an app launcher. Live Tiles for 3rd party apps aren't really live at all so all that leaves you with are number notifications for email, calls and SMS. IPhone does that.
    The staggered portico update has proven that WP is just as much a slave to carriers as android. IPhone isn't.

    The number of complaints of hardware and software defects is significantly higher than iphone. The resale value is awful in comparison.

    This leaves you with devices that don't have really any features that an iPhone doesn't, more defects, Android type update fragmentation, and a much lower developer support. I just don't see what could come to mind to argue a case for this platform against the iPhone.

    01 Microsoft Office is one huge advantage over IOS, hopefully Microsoft will stop saving Apple and discontinue office apps for mac, so Adobe should do after the way Apple spit on them with flash integration, telling that their are ******ed and Apple doesn't give a **** about them, hopefully CS7 will not arrive on Mac.
    02 Maps, Nokia maps with Drive and Transit offline, off gps...
    03 Devices full featuring all kind of conectors, USB 3.0, hdmi, etc...
    04 Really good devices at reasonable prices, and diversity, not as much as Android wich rocks in diversity.
    few reasons maybe but strong ones for some of us.
    Apple is kept alive by Google Adobe and Microsoft, without MS Office, Google maps and apps, and Adobe design Suite, there is NO Apple, sorry. So why should anybody actually buy an Apple product ? because it sits nicely on the table when you are in a fancy restaurant, 95% of apple user don't know anything about their products, it is just fancy to be Apple user, great aura.
  11. lipper2000's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    Given the deficit of apps, you really have to look and ask what does wp8 offer over the iPhone? The home screen isn't really much different than it. It's just an app launcher. Live Tiles for 3rd party apps aren't really live at all so all that leaves you with are number notifications for email, calls and SMS. IPhone does that.

    The staggered portico update has proven that WP is just as much a slave to carriers as android. IPhone isn't.

    The number of complaints of hardware and software defects is significantly higher than iphone. The resale value is awful in comparison.

    This leaves you with devices that don't have really any features that an iPhone doesn't, more defects, Android type update fragmentation, and a much lower developer support. I just don't see what could come to mind to argue a case for this platform against the iPhone.
    Although I got my 920 for a steal...most of them are going for almost the off contract price used here in Canada
  12. lipper2000's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by robmif76 View Post
    Having used the 920 for the past couple months I've nearly decided on cutting my losses and go back to iOS especially now that the iPhone5 is jailbroken. It's a great piece of kit and yes WP8 is nice and fresh but as we all agree, it needs time to develop. It's the price early adopters pay. As a consumer I am not prepared to hang around another 12-18 months for the platform to develop having to make do with alternative functionality. I blame myself for this normally I'm very good at restraining myself from impulse buys, but this time I got carried away with the WP8 candy. I agree iOS is dull in comparison and badly needs a facelift but it's much more functional and mature.
    I personally don't have this feeling at all but I totally understand it if you are missing some major app that you cannot live without...
    However, I've had an iphone, and android devices and although I think I could go back to Android, I would not be able to go back to iOS in it's current form...using my ipad drives me nuts...perhaps it's because I'm used to WP8 now but I find it to be so much better in so many ways for me...
    Even the little things like being able to edit a sync'd word document over sharepoint or skydrive is insanely easy on WP8

    No point however sticking around with something you don't like...it's only a gadget afterall...
  13. Honestabebread's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    #138  
    When it comes to apps, its fine if I don't have them on my phone. However my tablet needs to have everything. Hence why I have an iPad. My phone is a communication device. My tablet is a creating / consuming device.
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S
  14. lipper2000's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by Honestabebread View Post
    When it comes to apps, its fine if I don't have them on my phone. However my tablet needs to have everything. Hence why I have an iPad. My phone is a communication device. My tablet is a creating / consuming device.
    creating with an iPad...seriously?
  15. n8ter#AC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,451 Global Posts
    #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by lipper2000 View Post
    Although I got my 920 for a steal...most of them are going for almost the off contract price used here in Canada
    The market in Canada is different. Apple has majority smartphone share in the US, with Android a not so distant second, followed by Blackberry and they have like twice the market share (or more) that WP8 has. Windows Phones have terrible resale value. Below that of the average Android phone and a lot has to do with the fact that the ecosystem and app support simply isn't on the level of iOS and Android. In some cases, even Microsoft gives better support to iOS than their own platform. Still waiting on Photosynth?

    Another thing that has to be considered is order that devs port their apps. iOS is first for a majority of apps, followed by Android and then anything after that is given consideration, but not made a priority - due to the combined market share of the top two. Some people don't like getting an app late; they want it when all their friends get it, too... You can see this pattern in major 1st party apps as well.

    Going with WP for a lot of people isn't just a question of Poor App Selection. It's also a question of Poor App Support, Inflated App Prices, and Significantly Lag compared to other platforms in App Introductions.

    App Count means nothing anymore. It's all about Quality, Support, and the Speed at which new, great apps are introduced to your platform. Windows Phone lags iOS and Android in all those areas and given their lead now, it's not going to change in the near future. Getting today's top apps doesn't matter if tomorrow top apps are going to take forever to trickle down to this platform. That's a concern that simply doesn't exist on (especially) iOS or Android.
  16. n8ter#AC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,451 Global Posts
    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by lipper2000 View Post
    creating with an iPad...seriously?
    Yes, a lot of coaches here use iPads for on the spot quick video editing and video Analysis using apps like Coach's Eye and whatnot. Apps which are no where to be found on Windows Phone nor are there any worthy alternatives. For that reason, most skaters and coaches that I know have either iOS or Android devices. The video quality of a L920 ceases to matter if working with it on device is a complete hassle. iPhones and iPads (and Android devices for that matter) do not have those issues.

    An iPad will always be better than a smartphone for consuming media - especially video - just by virtue of its more advantageous form factor. And Surface RT simply cannot compete with the iPad right now because of lackluster App Support (clearly visible if you have a Windows 8 machine, as it can run almost all of the same apps).
  17. n8ter#AC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,451 Global Posts
    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin Reti View Post
    01 Microsoft Office is one huge advantage over IOS, hopefully Microsoft will stop saving Apple and discontinue office apps for mac, so Adobe should do after the way Apple spit on them with flash integration, telling that their are ******ed and Apple doesn't give a **** about them, hopefully CS7 will not arrive on Mac.
    02 Maps, Nokia maps with Drive and Transit offline, off gps...
    03 Devices full featuring all kind of conectors, USB 3.0, hdmi, etc...
    04 Really good devices at reasonable prices, and diversity, not as much as Android wich rocks in diversity.
    few reasons maybe but strong ones for some of us.
    Apple is kept alive by Google Adobe and Microsoft, without MS Office, Google maps and apps, and Adobe design Suite, there is NO Apple, sorry. So why should anybody actually buy an Apple product ? because it sits nicely on the table when you are in a fancy restaurant, 95% of apple user don't know anything about their products, it is just fancy to be Apple user, great aura.
    None of this makes any sense.
  18. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,217 Posts
    #143  
    Lol, Adobe not on Macs? Yaaaa right.

    Most designers that are heavy CS users are also big Apple fans. As a designer, I constantly find myself in the minority as a Windows user. I don't think Adobe would be that stupid.
  19. n8ter#AC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,451 Global Posts
    #144  
    I noticed a bit of Instagram bashing. I don't think people understand what Instagram is.

    Not having an Instagram app is like not having Twitter on your platform. It's a huge blow. It's a Social Network. A lot of people don't even use the Filters in Instagram. It's basically a Photogenic Twitter-like service where you can Like Photos, comment, reply to and mention people, etc.

    Not having it is a huge blow. Atheletes and Celebrities are on IG. Businesses are on IG. It is a big deal. Even if you never post a picture to IG, it is still useful - just like Twitter or Facebook (or Google+ as well) - for keeping up to the minute on things.

    I wish Microsoft had developed a [Shared] Photo Stream-type Service for Windows Phone/Windows 8...
  20. #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    I noticed a bit of Instagram bashing. I don't think people understand what Instagram is.

    Not having an Instagram app is like not having Twitter on your platform. It's a huge blow. It's a Social Network. A lot of people don't even use the Filters in Instagram. It's basically a Photogenic Twitter-like service where you can Like Photos, comment, reply to and mention people, etc.

    Not having it is a huge blow. Atheletes and Celebrities are on IG. Businesses are on IG. It is a big deal. Even if you never post a picture to IG, it is still useful - just like Twitter or Facebook (or Google+ as well) - for keeping up to the minute on things.

    I wish Microsoft had developed a [Shared] Photo Stream-type Service for Windows Phone/Windows 8...
    Oh **** instagram! We don't even have Pinterest and wait till people start talking about that. Even Microsoft and Nokia are on Pinterest showing off with so many offers!
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  21. hairlet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #146  
    We now have Spotify!!
  22. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    The market in Canada is different. Apple has majority smartphone share in the US, with Android a not so distant second, followed by Blackberry and they have like twice the market share (or more) that WP8 has. Windows Phones have terrible resale value. Below that of the average Android phone and a lot has to do with the fact that the ecosystem and app support simply isn't on the level of iOS and Android. In some cases, even Microsoft gives better support to iOS than their own platform. Still waiting on Photosynth?

    Another thing that has to be considered is order that devs port their apps. iOS is first for a majority of apps, followed by Android and then anything after that is given consideration, but not made a priority - due to the combined market share of the top two. Some people don't like getting an app late; they want it when all their friends get it, too... You can see this pattern in major 1st party apps as well.

    Going with WP for a lot of people isn't just a question of Poor App Selection. It's also a question of Poor App Support, Inflated App Prices, and Significantly Lag compared to other platforms in App Introductions.

    App Count means nothing anymore. It's all about Quality, Support, and the Speed at which new, great apps are introduced to your platform. Windows Phone lags iOS and Android in all those areas and given their lead now, it's not going to change in the near future. Getting today's top apps doesn't matter if tomorrow top apps are going to take forever to trickle down to this platform. That's a concern that simply doesn't exist on (especially) iOS or Android.
    Well stated, and I also wanted to add that when you're on a smaller platform any apps that you do get aren't always maintained either for updates and improvements. Some mainly ios and android devs will throw a wp8 app on the store and then just leave it.
  23. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,716 Global Posts
    #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    I wish Microsoft had developed a [Shared] Photo Stream-type Service for Windows Phone/Windows 8...
    That would have been pointless; Fhotoroom and EyeEm already exist on WP8 to fill the gap left by the lack of Instagram. They're both good apps and Fhotoroom just got finished with a whole bunch of back-end upgrades to make the service better. However, people don't want an Instagram-like service or app, regardless of how good they are... they want Instagram.

    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz
    Oh **** instagram!
    You may not like, want, or use Instagram, but if you want WP to succeed that's a really poor attitude to have. WP *needs* Instagram if it wants to succeed, period. There are too many people who won't even consider a given phone if it doesn't have Instagram.to say "**** instagram".
    Thanked by:
  24. abel920's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    #149  
    This.

    I don't like the pretentiousness that's coming from the Windows Phone fanboys. I am a fanboy too, but I see the bigger picture! Why are delusional fanboys so apprehensive to the Instagram idea? Aren't you the same people who are rooting for WP8 to succeed?
    Thanked by:
  25. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,661 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,764 Global Posts
    #150  
    Discovered a new app today on Android - Quora. Though still in its nascent stage, looks promising. At least get the older ones MS...common. Bill..are u listening to me...We NEED apps OK. N E E D.


    Sent from my DROID RaZr on JB.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Where are the Medical Apps??
    By Qaaf in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 02:08 PM
  2. Where are the Microsoft apps?
    By dalydose in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-22-2012, 01:12 PM
  3. Where are the HTC apps
    By Coolknight1968 in forum HTC 8X
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 10:58 AM
  4. where are the big name developers?
    By ZombieBacchus in forum Windows Phone Games
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM
  5. Where are the App Updates?
    By MadSci2 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Posting Permissions