IT disabled WP8 from sync - any options?

astrocramp

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Not 2 months after I bought my HTC 8X at full retail, I woke up one morning and got a 85010004 error when trying to sync with Exchange. Apparently, our corporate IT decided to limit ActiveSync to iOS devices so I can no longer sync.

I've searched every possible method to make this work - installing certificates, spoofing the device ID (can't figure out how to do that), alternative Exchange clients like Touchdown (they don't make one for WP8), and even somehow trying to figure out if I can sync my Exchange account to my Windows Live account (you can't as far as I know). Without having even USB sync to the client Outlook, I think I'm screwed and will have to switch to the iPhone. The thought of that sickens me - iPhones are for old people and corporate drones.

As a last resort, does anybody have any ideas on how I can sync my Exchange data? I think the only possible way would be if I could somehow change the deviceID or devicetype that it identifies to the server - I used an Exchange test client (EAS MD), and if I changed the device type to match my iPad the test client was able to establish a connection.

Even if I could sync one last time, at least I would get all my contacts back.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried talking to IT? It sounds like an incredibly unreasonable. I'd escalate it if necessary. If no one is willing to budge I think your company should foot the bill for the iPhone since they're the ones imposing this on you.

astrocramp

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I did try talking to them - essentially they are banning all "unsupported devices" from connecting, things like Office 2013, Lync 2013, the Lync Windows RT client, Android, WP8, etc. I could probably get the company to pay for the iPhone, but I'd still be stuck using an iPhone.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried talking to IT? It sounds like an incredibly unreasonable. I'd escalate it if necessary. If no one is willing to budge I think your company should foot the bill for the iPhone since they're the ones imposing this on you.

Yeah, this is the best option here. WP7 was missing a lot of policies that WP8 now supports, from a feature standpoint there shouldn't be any issues to allowing EAS from a WP8 device if they allow iOS devices.

That said, the IT department may not have any choices here if this came from a legal department or something.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
IT departments have rules for reasons. They may not make sense to you as a user, but I'll bet money there isn't some WP-hating admin in a dark server room in your company who blocked WP out of spite with an evil laugh. So it sounds like you're SOL... you'll either need to convince the company that the decision was wrong, or use a supported device. It sounds like they want to standardize on iOS... standardization isn't a bad thing, it helps cut costs and increase support responsiveness and capability.

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Or it's just some clueless IT person that don't know what wp8 is...

Some in my IT department wouldn't even bat an eye at wp8... all iOS and droid users. Would like to say hey, this is what my phone does, can yours do that?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I did try talking to them - essentially they are banning all "unsupported devices" from connecting, things like Office 2013, Lync 2013, the Lync Windows RT client, Android, WP8, etc. I could probably get the company to pay for the iPhone, but I'd still be stuck using an iPhone.

When I worked at RIM they issued us all blackberrys. I had one already, then I bought a Samsung Focus. Naturally, they only allowed BBs on the network. The simple fix for this is to only use your work device at work. My team was quite aware that they could message or email me, but that I would only check my work BB once a night. Unless they pay you to be connected 24 hours a day they cannot expect you to use the device outside of work. So don't.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Not 2 months after I bought my HTC 8X at full retail, I woke up one morning and got a 85010004 error when trying to sync with Exchange. Apparently, our corporate IT decided to limit ActiveSync to iOS devices so I can no longer sync.

I've searched every possible method to make this work - installing certificates, spoofing the device ID (can't figure out how to do that), alternative Exchange clients like Touchdown (they don't make one for WP8), and even somehow trying to figure out if I can sync my Exchange account to my Windows Live account (you can't as far as I know). Without having even USB sync to the client Outlook, I think I'm screwed and will have to switch to the iPhone. The thought of that sickens me - iPhones are for old people and corporate drones.

As a last resort, does anybody have any ideas on how I can sync my Exchange data? I think the only possible way would be if I could somehow change the deviceID or devicetype that it identifies to the server - I used an Exchange test client (EAS MD), and if I changed the device type to match my iPad the test client was able to establish a connection.

Even if I could sync one last time, at least I would get all my contacts back.
As backwards or inconvenient as it may be, circumventing your IT Department's restrictions is grounds for termination at most companies... Are you really sure you'd want to do this?

astrocramp

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I get it, believe me. They have a job to do, and they need to minimize risk. I'm not blaming them, I've just never been one to take these things lying down. I almost never request support from IT, don't hassle them with non-standard device issues, and certainly wouldn't do something to put the network at risk.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I get it, believe me. They have a job to do, and they need to minimize risk. I'm not blaming them, I've just never been one to take these things lying down. I almost never request support from IT, don't hassle them with non-standard device issues, and certainly wouldn't do something to put the network at risk.
That doesn't always stop them from saying "You violated the T&S you signed with your Employment Papers by connecting an unauthorized device. You knew this device was unauthorized because you circumvented our policies and blocks. Your contract is now nullified. Goodbye."

What you see as doing something to put the network at risk, doesn't mean they agree. They feel anything other than iPhone puts the network at risk. Otherwise, they wouldn't have blocked it. I'm not saying I agree with that, I'm saying that walking down this road does give them grounds for dismissal.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Better to try and work with them then to try and work around them. It just pisses them off. Also, don't bother talking with any of the lackeys. Go straight to the top.

astrocramp

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
As backwards or inconvenient as it may be, circumventing your IT Department's restrictions is grounds for termination at most companies... Are you really sure you'd want to do this?

Believe it or not, I'm almost to the point where I want to quit over this. I have far too much fun using new kinds of devices, and life's too short.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Believe it or not, I'm almost to the point where I want to quit over this. I have far too much fun using new kinds of devices, and life's too short.
Just make them pay for a business line and use your devise as a personal line. Or just quit over a phone...

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Right? That's all sorts of crazy to quit over an unsupported phone.

In this economy, I'd think twice over leaving behind a steady paycheck vs. getting to play with new gadgets. You can always use your WP on the side, outside of work.
If I were your parents, siblings or any relative, and I'd heard that from you, I wouldn't hesitate to promptly smack you upside the back of the head.

Good luck paying your rent with your Windows Phone.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow...almost the same exact problem as the OP....my company uses all MS stuff except for phones and tablets as we use iPhones and ipads now...in the past they supported any advice as long as you could connect to the exchange server and add security certificates. We are a big global European company and I work in north America...we have our own IT department here but our HQ gives directives and we are supposed to follow them. Most of their demands are to make their lives easier and not make the users lives easier...this often happens when IT think they are the business rather than the tool working for the business...

I actually get an iPhone for free but I decided 2 years ago to just ignore them and buy a WP7 device...i was using the old windows mobile devices before so I knew who to contact there to let my device get past the firewall and it worked...just bought a used 920 for $300 and it was unlocked...had to email them again but its working great.

I would speak to your manager to see what can be done...since I'm somewhat high in the organization I don't fear any repercussions as the worst would be I had to get a free iPhone...

I really dislike IT organizations...many are too powerful for their own good

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
"IT decided to limit ActiveSync to iOS devices"

You need to ask yourself, do you really want to associate yourself with such ignorance? I'd be handing out resumes and going elsewhere.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You need to ask yourself, do you really want to associate yourself with such ignorance? I'd be handing out resumes and going elsewhere.

LOL. That's silly. Business decisions are made for the business, not the user. It costs money to support multiple devices; if the company's IT has experience and knowledge in a given platform, and that platform meets the business needs, it is NOT ignorant to standardize on that platform.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
"IT decided to limit ActiveSync to iOS devices"

Definitely not the best career advice. I know we can get emotionally charged regarding things we're passionate about, but this situation requires emotional detachment. There are examples on this forum alone that show good reason why some companies cannot support WP8 in its current form (missing ActiveSync policies, etc.).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077