IT disabled WP8 from sync - any options?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
LOL. That's silly. Business decisions are made for the business, not the user. It costs money to support multiple devices; if the company's IT has experience and knowledge in a given platform, and that platform meets the business needs, it is NOT ignorant to standardize on that platform.

Depending on the size of the company and the servers they use, I'd say "it depends". I run IT for a smaller company and and there are devices from every o/s - it's no problem at all.

And no extra resources were required. My brother in law runs IT in a fairly sizable insurance firm - about 450 - 500 employees and they were a BB shop, now they've switched to iPhones. Why?

Because the president likes them. And that's the only reason they need.

jsk0703

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
BYOD is a challenge for every IT organization. As it has been previously said, the cost of supporting a range of devices really does add up. It may seem trivial to the average user but the organization must have the infrastructure to support it. At my work, we made it simple. If you need ActiveSync you simply open a ticket to our Exchange team and they put your account into the correct AD group.

Clcto

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
If you are interested in a 3rd party solution, CompanionLink will be releasing DejaOffice for Windows Phone 8 in just a few weeks. This will have Standalone Outlook Sync via Wi-Fi and DejaCloud to WP8 phones. USB support is pending. Cost is $14.95 for 3 months subscription. DJO-WP8 will connect to WP8 Contacts, but otherwise is a standalone app with PC Style Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memos that sync to Outlook, ACT!, Lotus Notes and stuff like that.

astrocramp

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
If you are interested in a 3rd party solution, CompanionLink will be releasing DejaOffice for Windows Phone 8 in just a few weeks. This will have Standalone Outlook Sync via Wi-Fi and DejaCloud to WP8 phones.

Nice - this was exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to find, thank you! This forum doesn't disappoint.

astrocramp

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
BYOD is a challenge for every IT organization. As it has been previously said, the cost of supporting a range of devices really does add up.

I think this is more a matter of the company investing more effort in iOS - from product development to hooks into our CRM. They want to be sure they can pollute every employee's phone with their useless crap.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
BYOD is a challenge for every IT organization. As it has been previously said, the cost of supporting a range of devices really does add up. It may seem trivial to the average user but the organization must have the infrastructure to support it. At my work, we made it simple. If you need ActiveSync you simply open a ticket to our Exchange team and they put your account into the correct AD group.

Our company maintains very high security AND supports various devices. Refusing to support any other device other than iOS is just plain lazy. And if the company does limit it support to such a degree, they should buy everyone an iOS device.

The OPs company has their head up their ass.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I think its a case of the IT department not educated in Windows Phone 8. In my company too we do not allow Windows Phone 7.x and Android 2.x phones because there is no device encryption. However Android 4.x and Windows Phone 8 is acceptable as there is device encryption. You may want to send this link to your IT department so they can educate themselves on security features of windows phone 8 Windows Phone Security | Windows Phone (United States)

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Good news for all suffering on missing ActiveSync on the Exchange Server !?
A few days ago I found a new app in the store "Outlook WP Access". This app seems to work like e.g. mail+ which is available for android and iOS. Being not an IT guy I would describe it as folows: It uses outlook OWA but persists the data (mails, contacts) on the phone. The app is not yet working with Exchange Server 2013, but this is shall be possible by end of June 2014. I will chheck out then and report on it in more detail (functionality and limitations, impact on battery and data transfer).
My company has disabled ActiveSync for ALL mobile devices, indepently of the operating system. We are using the GOOD app, but it is limited in terms of storing contact details in the phone's storage and opening attachments what makes it a little bit uncomfortable to work with. To replicate contacts and calendar entries to my phone I am currently using AKRUTO. But because I am mostly on travel I can only replicate when PC and Phone are in the same WiFi-network. This was my workaround so far as no app like mail+ was available. Keep fingers crossed that "Outlook WP Access" will be the expected soution...

Update (11 July 2014):
I had the opportunity to test the beta version of the app with exchange server 2013 and want to share my impreesions and findings with you.
First of all, I was very lucky to have the app durcing the past days because my company's GOOD server had severe problems and without "Outlook WP Access" I would have to access my emails using the web browser.
In general: The app works quite similar to OWA. Up to now it supports only the e-mail function. Contacts are stored in the app from mails you receive. They are then imported either from the exchange adress book, from your outlook contacts or (if not included there) stored from the mail in a categorie "other contacts". The contacts stored in the app are only available in the app itself! You cannot access them from other apps, export them to the phones adress book. Moreover it is not possible to e.g. place a phone call by selecting a contact in the apps contact list.
The mail function is stable and works fine as long as you are online (see below). It works in pull mode. The app checks for new mails frequently. Live Tile and Lock Screen Indicator work well. When writing mails you can only choose contacts stored in the contact list as recipients. Up to now you cannot add attachments. The mail body is not stored in the app (only recipient and subject). Mail-Editing in offline mode is not possible up to now.
Contacts function is very limited because it is only used in the app and only for the email function.
A Calendar function is not available up to now.

Summary: The first of its kind for WP. Already very good e-mail function. Some improvements required (e.g. offline editing).

I very frequently had contact with the developer during testing and made several suggestions re further improvements (mail, contacts, calendar). He is very commited and I expect him to continue improving the app in the future.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire