Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Global Posts
    1,310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hairlet View Post
    1. Gapless playback. Surely that's not a hard thing to implement?! It's incredible that this isn't a standard feature nowadays. I transferred from iOS to W8P expecting gapless playback to be standard across all phones. Amazed that I was wrong about that.2. My phone often starts playing music through the speaker when I unplug the headphones. Why?! That bug needs sorting (although I think I read somewhere that they had fixed that in the latest update which I am yet to recieve). Speaking of which...3. Speed up their updates rollout. I'm on Vodafone UK and I'm STILL waiting for the Portico update. Why?!4. Although not a bug, I would LOVE it if they could implement support for Airplay. I listen to alot of music and I loved playing music to my hifi from my phone over WiFi via Airplay. My Windows laptop can support Airplay by either using iTunes or Airfoil. I'm not sure if there's some licensing reason why they couldn't do this, but I hope they can. Or maybe some clever app developer could develop a music player that supports it. AND gapless playback?!?
    Speed up the updates they can't fix unless they go the iTunes route. Honestly I'd rather bypass the carrier completely. Even if they do that, the OEMs would be responsible for pushing out the updates. WP updates are better than Android though.

So there was a feature on the main page for WP8 and I thought why not do a similar thing for Windows 8. I've been sitting on quite a few ideas since I upgraded on October 26th last year so I'll start this off with some ideas.

1. 'Snapping' the Start screen. So you can pin different apps with each other, but what I've very often wanted to see was accessing the Start menu whilst I have an app snapped, or even have Start snapped whilst I have the desktop or whichever app open as my main window. I wanted to demonstrate this but my desktop can't snap apps, but if the Start screen was snapped, think of the rows of apps you normally see but it's a continuous column.

2. More features for right-click in Internet Explorer in Metro. I pretty much exclusively use IE after upgrading now, and most of the time in the Metro environment, but I often find it really frustrating that there are only a maximum of three options for right-click: Copy link, Open link, Open in new tab. Additional options which I constantly miss are: (for highlighted text) Search on..., Copy image URL, Open image.

3. Also about IE, I find it really annoying that when I open a new tab, the tab list pops-down and back, but I can't click on the tab I just opened without right-clicking again to get that menu again and then click it. It's only one click more but there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to click it. Perhaps an option should be available to set new tabs to open in the foreground rather than the background.

4. More background updating apps. Why a maximum of seven? Why must I choose which seven apps can update in the background and give me notifications on the Live Tile and lockscreen? Even if perhaps a limit on the lockscreen is acceptable, every app should be able to run in the background. There is a Notifications settings menu but that does not mean that those apps update notifications without opening them first. Maybe there's a technical reason so if anyone knows better please say, but I can't see it.

5. Full Control Panel in Metro. This is one of those things that have confused me about Metro said to be a completely independent environment from the Desktop because up to a point, it depends on the Desktop for the Control Panel. Yes the Settings app has a few PC settings but things like Resolution, all settings to do with Sound like a mixer and default devices have to be accessed from the Desktop. I feel it would be so much nicer to use the control panel in Metro.

6. Sign out of Skype in Metro. Once I've opened the app I can't actually sign-out from it without shutting-down/restarting. I still get all the notifications after I've used the ONLY other status option in the app 'Invisible'. I often consciously avoid opening it as I can't stop it from running once it's opened, instead using the desktop version which means that when I do get a notification I have to switch to that from whatever app I'm using and then flip switch back, back and forth.

7. Collating toast notifications. Many notifications suddenly coming all at once (most often from Skype) popping up constantly is so annoying. They should simply add to the one toast notification every time an update comes for the same app, with a number denoting how many total items it's notifying you of for that app.

8. Custom colour schemes. There is a selection of colours to choose from in the settings app in Metro but I have a frequently repeating problem of simply not being happy with any of the colour schemes I choose from the selection given. This is most likely a problem for only a few aesthetically-concerned users which think this too, but then again, there's no reason we can't choose our own two colours. Also something to make it easier and more personalised to the user would be for there to be an algorithm to take the average colour of the apps (or average colour of the most common colour group) on your Start screen and create a complementary colour-scheme.

Those are my main eight gripes with the operating system (which I otherwise love).
    What are yours?

Notification center. Having a Rooms hub is nice and Kids Spot is a nice feature if I would let a kid get near my phone to play games but it supposed to have notification built in. The other things can come as the OS develops but there is no reason I can fathom that the 920 could have been dropped without it or that Portico didn't bring it. Me, I don't even care if they use the source model available on Android and IOS. It works and makes the point. No real need to reinvent the wheel. Tweak it Gangnam style and lets move onto apps.

1. Notification center
    2. Rotation lock
    3. Ability to attach pdf files to email
    4. Separate volume levels for media/call
    5. Another customizable button on IE
    6. *.wav playback
    7. Bing wallpaper with local weather
    8. improved battery life
    Quote Originally Posted by fallax View Post
    Honestly I'd rather bypass the carrier completely. Even if they do that, the OEMs would be responsible for pushing out the updates.
    Not true. As far as our hardware, the OS and the backend update process are concerned, everything is in place to bypass carriers and OEMs. I think it is too early to tell how the WP8 update process will pan out in practice, but right now it looks like carriers may turn out to be the gods of updates on WP8, thanks to the stupid decision to deliver them exclusively OTA, meaning carriers can take full control over update delivery if they so choose.
    Last edited by a5cent; 02-02-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Why was my post moved? I was talking about 'Windows 8', not 'Windows Phone 8'....?

disagree on almost all counts. i want an X to close apps on the multitasking screen... much like the one on BB10.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    In no particular order...

1.) Notification center (I don't care, but many people do)
    2.) Get those last few missing super popular apps like instagram and focus on getting any future super popular apps as quickly as possible.
    3.) Independent volume controls. I'm tired of turning down sound for a game or movie only not to hear my ringer or alarm. Come on guys.
    4.) Do something about webkit optimized websites that don't work properly on mobile IE. I don't care what you do, just do something.
    5.) Fix Xbox Music. (I don't even use it, but apparently it must be broken from how much people complain about it)
    6.) Do amazing things to integrate WP8 with Win 8. This will help both. Make me want to put my Macbook Air on the shelf and dust off my Thinkpad.
    7.) Beef the calendar functions up. Give me a usable week view, zoom in on month view. My Palm OS 3.1 calendar was better than this.
    8.) Never stop innovating. Do not let Blackberry win. Do amazing things that get people talking about WP instead of being so damn cautious and slow with everything.
    cckgz4 likes this.

1. Fix the Bluetooth stack. Phone call comes in while in my car or on Bluetooth handset and music gets stuck on pause, does nor resume after caller pics up. I have to either kill the Bluetooth connection or give up on it

2. Random mixes of music get lost. Pick up a call or whatever and you often have to entirely restart your mix by launching Nokia music again. Annoying

3. I've had issues where bounce out of webbtowser, go back and then the 'back' button just throws you back to Wp8 home screen, not the previous webpage you were on

4. A forward button/option in browser.

Global Posts
    6,885 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    Every point here is a good point. My 2 cents: reorganize settings: the list is so long
    ^ This. I'd go one step further and create a settings hub with two panes. One with toggle switches for what may be the more common things in settings people use, such as WiFi, NFC, airplane mode, Bluetooth and a visible battery percentage. Make the second pane the running list of all the other settings. You can still tap on WiFi for example and open the setting itself though, along with using the toggle to merely activate it. I wish I had PhotoShop skills to make this idea look visual though...

Global Posts
    3,537 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    I feel like I should just write "ditto". EVERY point above to some degree will help WP from a blip on the Radar to the Mountain Range that takes up the whole mobile landscape. If I were to add anything, I would want replace the folders idea with something more WP-like: I want to be able to have a second or even third swipe menu option.

For instance: Start screen with your favorite Live Tiles. I do not want to lose this. It is what makes the Modern UI (almost used to that) the UI it is.

Swipe right for your notification center as has been suggested. Love that. Lets do that. Easy fix, natural progression.

Swipe Left to get to your app/tool list. Problem is, mine is so freaking long it adds two - three more steps to find the tools/apps I want. So, I want to swipe once for one list, and then left for a secondary list. Let me arrange these lists as I see fit for my convienince. Still a natural progression and motion for WP, but a little more organizational options for me.

Better Office intergration, a return to WM6.5 functioality (why on Earth did they move away from what actually WORKED in their old OS??), seamless XBOX Live/Music and better Windows 8 intergration had BETTER be coming in WP 8.1, or else they are truly killing any reasons for mordern smartphone users to adopt them.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    Developer

-Good games
    -VPN
    -Viber
    -Better Skype, Facebook, Twitter apps
    -Brightness slider
    -Notification Center
    -Better Music app (create playlists)
    -Instagram
    -Better Skydrive integration
    -Better batery life
    ALSO, I WANT TO UPDATE MY PHONE AT THE SAME TIME WITH OTHER COUNTRIES!
    -Dropbox App
    -Spotify
    -Facebook
    -Youtube
    - Portico update soon... I'm living in Denmark and we still don't have s***.
    - Better ringtone customization. Like choose the ringtones and messenger sounds that I want and not some prechosen.
    - Notification center
    - And better batterylife.

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Rotation lock would be cool , but I can live without it ... a bit inconvenient , but "Still ... It Could've Been Worse"
    Banned

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Until they do, I will still insist in better coding, encryption, and DIRECT SUPPORT for CDMA 2000 carriers in the US (although getting Sprint on board is a sign they are actually addressing the issue, since more likely the rest of the CDMA carrier community will choose the devices from HTC and Samsung Sprint will bring).

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Fix the "Other" storage problem..

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Love the idea of a notification center.
    I don't know about WP8, but WP7 has a white email screen even if you choose the dark theme. On an OLED screen, white uses way more power than a darker color.
    Proper, native podcast management.
    I would like it if, on the People Hub, it would remember your place on the timeline. I dislike having to scroll back down only to read up to the top.
    Developer

1-8 Instagram

1. App "X" killer/management

2. Ringtones for all notifications*

3. Lock Screen Rotation

4. Volume Controls

5. Notification Center (swipe to the left)

6. Bing* Universal Phone Search

Folders/VPN/Toggles/etc

More Games and Official Apps (Temple Run/Instagram)

I.E 10 reader/offline/options

Music & Xbox Improvements
    I have a wp 7.8 so what I say won't be completely 100% valid but I'll try.

1. Instagram-I don't use it and don't care to, but a ton of people do. This is one of those killer apps, If they don't have this then that's bad.

2. Notification center - I don't think it really needs one since they have live tiles, but if they do make one, I really hope that they do a less is more approach, like maybe make a notifications tile which groups all notifications together or stick it somewhere in the multitasking card menu or something.

3. Xbox - Why isn't MS pushing one of its bigger brands with more leverage on WP? Why aren't more game companies developing for WP? Why do we get fable coin golf instead of an actual mobile fable game. Or what about a halo game? And yes, its possible to do an fps on a mobile phone. Also, why don't they let you stream games? Maybe cause of network lag, but tht would be awesome to see.

4.lock screen rotation - minor, but not hard to implement.

5.launch app from lock screen, would be very easy to do. Hold finger over which icon you want to unlock and swipe up over top of the icon and it launches that app, a minor thing, but every other OS has this feature now.

6.Universal search. I love the universal search in windows 8, that you can search every file, app, setting, or do a search in every app from the search bar

7.obviously more apps in general, but windows 8 getting more popular will help with that

8. More OEMS, they are gaining more, but they need to get LG to make more phones they need sony on board, pantech, sharp, Panasonic(if they decide to make phones anymore past eh eluga series), yes I know they are not as popular, but they need every OEM they can get. I was very happy to see Huawei and ZTE get onboard

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    draft for text

phfft..

umm..

"Office"
    I'd like to see one-stop purchases for games/apps for all devices. In other words, if I buy a game/app for Xbox, I get the same game/app for Windows Phone/Windows 8/RT.

Apple does not require one to purchase apps/games separately for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. Once the apps/games are purchased, they are usable on all iOS devices. I'd like to see that for Windows devices also, rather than charging separately for the same app on a different Windows device.

Achievements also should be unified across all devices. I had Wordament for Windows Phone, but when I installed it on Windows 8 I had to start from scratch with achievements; none of my achievements earned on the Windows Phone version counted on the Windows 8 version. That needs to be fixed.
    snowmutt likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    If I buy a game/app for Xbox, I get the same game/app for Windows Phone/Windows 8/RT.

Apple does not require one to purchase apps/games separately for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch.
    Don't we already have this? A touch UI game you purchase for W8 will also run on a W8RT tablet without repurchasing it, right?

I'm sure those apps will also run on the next XBOX as the OS will also be just plain Windows.

The difference is only the level at which compatibility breaks, e.g. you can't play an iOS game on OSX. Or am I mistaken?
    Last edited by a5cent; 02-04-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Better and more reliable push notifications for Messenger, Facebook and other communication apps - that is all.
    I dunno why my 920 seems to miss messages here and there when my Surface RT gets all of them and I am on 4G constantly.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast