- 02-05-2013, 07:12 PM #101
- 02-06-2013, 08:52 AM #105
What's the benefit of it talking to you rather than gathering the information by reading it in a second or two? Doesn't it take longer to ask a phone "what does my day look like" rather than pusing the calendar tile and seeing the info you need? I think the only benefit of a Siri-type app is for search or text/email, because it beats typing. The personal assistant aspect is just novelty and laziness IMO. I can touch my calendar and weather tiles, and gather information faster than asking a phone what my day looks like.~Sal
- 02-06-2013, 11:34 AM #107
I agree with the above list, as well as VPN, but the thing I'd like to see is more of a unification of WP8 with the rest of the W8 platform. Make them seem the same. For instance, swipe down to close an app, just like in Win8. Stuff like that, make them feel like the same core OS.
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM #108
- 3 Posts
I'll have to give Mango Transit a shot. The current gMaps doesn't allow me to force select bus as a method of transit, unless I'm missing something.
NYC travel's app is pretty good for a map reader, but the subway map is not like the official nyc one. They list stops, but they don't have the actual cross streets for each stop.
02-06-2013, 12:43 PM #109
- 2 Posts
I hope I can still contribute with something new to this thread
*Ability to scroll through html5 videos on IE.
*Ability to undo when typing on SMS, Word or OneNote.
*A decent clipboard, ideally lasting until the phone is powered off.
Basic phone classic features:
*View calls duration in Phone app’s history (aka Call Log).
*Cancel outgoing messages (SMS) – ‘cause anybody can press ‘send’ by mistake.
*Possibility to check that the SMS has been sent rather than getting a notification when it can’t be sent. I guess you’ll never realize how useful this feature has been over the years until you find yourself in low coverage area and jumping on and off network, and then wonder: was the message sent before I lost coverage or will I get the annoying notification once I'm on the network again?
Now, does that add up?
- 02-06-2013, 08:08 PM #110
- 02-06-2013, 08:12 PM #111
2. This is a mobile device and not a desktop. Most apps only need very few things running in the background when you're not actively engaged with the app. Microsoft can always work on more APIs for devs. But I think users would lose out in the long run if any old dev could have some app running all the time.
3. More apps? Catch-22. Apps come when developers see opportunities. Those opportunities only come when consumers buy the devices - which are usually held back by lack of apps.
- 02-07-2013, 12:24 AM #112
Ok so I've read through the many pages of suggestions and below will be a conglomeration of what I think are the best suggestions for Microsoft to implement ...not in any order at all!
- Notification center: Of course Swipe style with volume profiles and brightness and basic comm options like wifi, internet sharing, airplane mode or options to have as many of them or none.
- Landscape mode for start screen a la Windows 8
- Custom SMS message tones and while they're at it for alarms too
- On device File Explorer with options for deleting, copy, paste, send to.
- In relation to the File Explorer I want better sync options. Cloud is cool but I want to sync My documents and whatever files I see fit to My device and to have intelligent sync.
- Integrated Skype
- "Select all" function expanded to entire device and not just SMS
- Flashing or glowing Windows logo for visual notification (Silent mode?)
- Option to disable text preview on start screen.
- Calender: Live tile options for a clock and date with different size, style and layout options. Live tile flip to show upcoming events or a ticker option
- Volume profiles (Silent with no vibe, Vibe, Low, Medium and High) Also, completely separate sliders for games, music and alarms
- Exit button in Task Manager
- DIRECT TO DIALER FOR PHONE BUTTON (with buttons at top or bottom or swipe left or right for phone book and recent calls. Also recent calls should have tabs for out and in calls with search function) Dialer should auto complete as you dial to show either recent call or contacts JUST LIKE Windows Mobile did
- Device wide search function
- A FORWARD BUTTON IN IE only because UC doesn't work for my banking website or I would just use that all the time.
- One point for Office I noticed is Excel is missing some options I would very much like to have ie add or remove lines or columns
I understand that's more than 8 but that's what the forums are for. What do you guys think is my list overkill or perfect?
02-07-2013, 12:29 PM #113
- 184 Posts
1) Color wheel. Not sure why they haven't added a color wheel to our themes yet, it seems like a no-brainer to me.
2) Idk if it's just me, but I wish that when you highlighted something and hit search that it would search for it all the time. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. This should be standard for whatever you are doing it makes things so much easier. Or just add the ability to highlight, press and hold, and then have "Search for...". I've gotten so used to doing this on my computer with Chrome.
3) Again, idk if its just me but my phone doesn't do "pictures of people" albums when I tag my contacts via sky-drive. It seems like its a Facebook only thing, and since I don't use FB then I feel I'm getting screwed out of this ability. In the same vein, my dates on my contacts don't sync with my Calender. Again, it seems like its a FB only ability, and that I'm getting screwed.
4) Silence on the volume shortcut. Can't tell you how annoying it is watching a video or listening to music and hearing 6-7 different notifications go off.
5) Change the store page back to just New and not New and Rising. I like browsing the new stuff, and it's hard to wade through all the rising stuff I've already seen.
6) As stated, SMS search would be nice. As well as the ability to look at SMS media between you and a contact in the history section. I often go looking for pics that someone text me, and it can be hard to find them.
7) Remove the passcode for the Kids corner. It almost defeats the whole purpose of having it if I still have to put in a passcode.
8) There needs to be better connection with the WP8 and Win8. There's so much potential there for things like syncing, using your phone as your PC's webcam, using the touch screen for navigation on the PC, virtual Keyboard, etc. Not sure why MS didn't make a better connection between the two. Some missed opportunities there.
02-07-2013, 03:24 PM #114
- 3 Posts
I just checked the marketplace, and they fixed the pdf reader! Now I can read subway, bus maps.
And now I can delete those random pdfs of restaurant menus I downloaded a month ago.
Actually the performance is slow for the manhattan bus map. I guess it's too complex or something so it's taking forever to render.
02-07-2013, 03:48 PM #115
- 36 Posts
My 8x is becoming worthless thanks to the Other storage problem. The suggestions are nice, but this is a huge error in the OS and asking people to hard reset their phones is absurd. I will leave if they don't fix this soon, and based on the MS forums many others will too. 9GB of Other I am unable to purge, not being dynamically released and I have only 2.5GB of apps, maps and media on 16GB phone that is now close to full.
The OS needs a "Purge Other" method yesterday.
- 02-08-2013, 08:22 AM #116
02-08-2013, 01:09 PM #118
- 1 Posts
1 to 8...Bluetooth!!!!!
The bluetooth function of the phone is horrible!!
The car-kit feature is working fine, but i can not control the music player from the handset by the car radio because the AVRCP protocol is missing in WP8.
It's only posible to stream audio from the phone to the car radio.
Does Microsoft know what the fine in the Netherlands and Belgium is for even holding a phone in your hand while driving?? €350,- !!
Also synchronising music / pictures / documents from the pc to phone with Bluetooth and visaversa with the WindowsPhone desktop app is not supported, we have to use a cable for that...
Living in a wireless world, this is very strange :-)
When using Nokia Drive app on my Lumia 920, and listening to the radio, cd, or SD card, you can't hear the navigation voice from the phonespeakers....
Only when selecting the Bluetooth feature on the car radio, you can hear the voice.......
So when using Nokia Drive, its not possible to listen to music!! (or disable the car-kit function......)
- 02-09-2013, 02:03 AM #120
This strikes me as a power user thing that isn't really of value to any but a small subset if users. If they did this before the other items on these lists they'd be fools
- 02-09-2013, 03:08 AM #121
This is useful to anyone that requires data from corporate HQ while working from home or on the road. It's a basic feature used by almost every single large corporation and their employees.
- 02-09-2013, 03:10 AM #122
1- This is a must, really. A Notifications center with quick settings switches, but please in windows phone style.
2- The multiple toast notifications from the same app thing. Instead of swiping each to the right, maybe swipe to left to remove all?!
3- The apps in the store shouldn't be concentrated in the US region only. When people ask me about the apps, I add 'most apps in the US region only'. BONUS: better apps quality?
4- A way to organize the home screen. Too much scrolling, right?
5- Multitasking problems like more than one 'scene' for the same app and the ability to close the apps from the multitasking page.
6- Storage problems to be fixed - from apps to SD to 'other' storage (although I'm good with that till now).
7- Less minor/ major errors and bugs. I can't see updates in the store app; too many error codes; etc.
8- All the other previously mentioned points; i.e. different volume settings for different stuff, etc.
The ones in bold have some apps to do so; they really have to be built in.
02-09-2013, 08:02 AM #124
- 28 Posts
I bought a Nokia L920 at the start of the year, and i'm very happy with the phone, in general. I think a lot of the issues, are just annoying, but don't majorly detract from what WP8 does well; but with that said, features and usability improvements, in no particular order, that I would really like to see are:
- File management. I want to be able to download any file off the internet on the phone, even files that i can't use on the phone. There should be a "save as" feature or similar, like on a PC. I think also zip apps would come in handy at some point, but at the moment it's impossible. Having a L920, i don't have issues with external memory, but i think this should be incorporated, allow the additional memory to store apps. A separate files app, i don't think is necessary, a file browser could be integrated into the search app.
- Universal search. This issue has been done to death, but i really like the windows 8 search where it categorises things into files, control panel, etc. I think the search should mainly facilitate the functions it already has, but separate buttons to either search the phone, and categorise, or search settings and search and or browse files (as per previous point) would be really great.
- Email. The email app is quite good layout wise, i'm very happy with it in that respect, but inability to download every attachment, or to be only able to attach photos from the email app, the office files from the office app (and only one at a time) is just not good enough. The Android hotmail app was a lot better in this regard, It even had a quiet time feature, absent on WP8 (see next point though)
- Phone quiet time. While I only want email notifications to stop at night, i think it would be best served by having a better feature where the user can select what goes through quiet time, so setting up the time periods and selecting what notifications are disabled, and possibly which apps are or are not. At the moment i've disabled an email noise, i'd prefer to have one, but don't want to have to put the phone on silent at night.
- Notification Centre. Not much I can add beyond what has been said, except that i think it would be good if it had a few settings on the same page, things like brightness, flight mode, battery saver mode, screen rotation lock, stuff that helps you get to those contextual settings you switch frequently, easily and quickly accessable, just like on android, where you swipe down the notification tray, and you get a few settings there. Alternatively, rather than holding the power button is only to switch off the phone, adding those options there wouldn't hurt either (as well as switching off the phone).
- Music App. Gapless playback, scrubber and folder view. It's also annoying me that you can't close the music app, you can pause an app, and back your way out, but then every time you change the volume, it shows up there. Hardly a major detraction, but would be nice if it was fixed up. Folder view is also a big thing for me, because i find it much easier to drag and drop files, and organise them in folders; at the moment, i have a mess in the albums section, and i have a mess in the artists section, and i have a mess in the songs section. If there were a folder view, at least i can easily organise it how i want, and go through that way. To put it in perspective, i have a folder named "random" which is where i throw individual tracks, so once you build up a bunch of those, unless you rename the album and artist for each of those tracks, it's makes the whole music organisation a complete mess.
- Office app. Not very good excel app, won't let me run certain functions in cells which i could on third party spreadsheet programs on android, and desktop MS excel. Very annoying to have to figure out how to do certain things in a spreadsheet with the limited function set available. MS was supposed to release a good office app, this one is quite worse than competitors in this regard. Looks and use isn't bad, but they count for little when i can't run spreadsheets.
- Separate volumes. Ringer/Multimedia volume is mandatory, but I also have a few issues when using headphones. The phone should ring through the loudspeaker as well as headphones when they're plugged in. When headphones are being used, all volumes should relegate to multimedia, or a third headphone volume; i use good quality in ear headphones, which attenuate a lot of external noise, and are quite efficient (or sensitive) so my normal volumes are 6-8 out of 30, when i get calls, there is a separate talk volume, and it's too loud, but when using the phone normally, i want the loudest setting. This is an area that can get a fair bit of work put in to make it user friendly, and tunable for minimal intervention by the user. At the moment, it's quite annoying.
- Close apps. I think the swipe down to close would be a nicer gesture over having an X in the corner, but either is fine. Should be able to close things when done with them.
- IE App. Needs work on the layout. At the moment landscape view, the URL bar takes up too much space, making landscape view not much better than the portrait view. A concealable URL bar would be a good feature to switch, and i really think, displaying the URL is a real waste of space. While it's good that you can select which buttons are on the toolbar, ideally all would be there, and a button to then bring up a box to view or change the URL. Most URL's are too big to fit anyway, so it's not really useful in the first place.
- Camera. The camera is quite good on my L920 with one notable exception; the compression is too high, softening the images too much. It would be much better if you could add options to select the level of compression.
Now, i just really hope Microsoft is willing to do something about WP8, and work on improving as many of the complaints in this thread as possible. I really hope they are as enthusiastic about this platform as I am, it's a great phone OS, but detracts in a few critical issues. The foundations are there for WP8 to be the best compromises of usability and a closed platform, taking into account, that i'm not really after an open platform like android, i'm not too keen that my phone, which has cameras, microphones, gps and internet access, to get any sort of malware; i just want a good reliable phone, first, then smartphone functionality. My L920 really handles the phone part well, it's very reliable, unlike my previous android phone. The smartphone part, does need work.
Someone needs to figure out how to get microsoft to commit to improving the platform. They owe it to use early adopters. They don't really want to burn us continually (WP7 users were hard done by) as they will have to put significant effort to win us back, so again, i really hope they're paying attention to these sorts of threads and comments.
- 02-09-2013, 12:01 PM #125
The obsession with Instagram crying is aiming its tears at the wrong target. Take thee to instagram.com and tweet @instagram. It is NOT Microsoft stopping them, it us your holy Instagrime that refuses to build or even allow 3rd parties to build a functioning Windows Phone app.
What IS in Microsoft's control that should happen ASAP is putting their own apps on Windows Phone, like Skype and Photosynth. Both of these teams should exclusively focus on Windows Phone to bring them to the platform with feature parity to the competing platforms. I find it insulting to read about improvements to Skype on iOS and Android while we are still stuck in a stripped down beta.
Also, what about the supposed kozy relationship with Facebook? Isn't Microsoft an investor? I see no reason that they can't get FB to put out an official app with all the features that iOS and Android get, plus they can put out the dumb Instagram. That would make me happy just so I can stop hearing the wailing angst that the lack of a sub par, photo filtering, square cropping app seems to bring out in people.
Microsoft also needs to address the "other" storage issue. It is literally a growing problem with no real information nor a fix.
Oh yea, give us back Zune, please.
- By rakeshrai in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 13Last Post: 10-31-2012, 03:08 PM
- By praveen gadipelly in forum Developers CornerReplies: 4Last Post: 07-06-2012, 03:32 AM
- By elderjlward in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 6Last Post: 12-03-2011, 01:58 AM
- By Bearach in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 6Last Post: 10-04-2011, 06:15 PM
- By Winterfang in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 35Last Post: 05-24-2011, 02:08 PM