Your turn - 8 things that Microsoft needs to fix in Windows Phone 8 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
What about Nokia Transit? I don't really use transit that much but that might be worth trying.

Connie, Richard Din posted he has a 8X, hence why I didn't mention Nokia Transit...unless Nokia owned that app up to everyone else like they did for Drive Beta and I didn't hear about that...

uberlaff

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
TellMe Now: Some kind of Google Now / Siri personal assistant.

I want something that gives me a heads up for reminders and scheduled events.
It shouldn't required voice either. Just natural language interface through text or voice.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
What's the benefit of it talking to you rather than gathering the information by reading it in a second or two? Doesn't it take longer to ask a phone "what does my day look like" rather than pusing the calendar tile and seeing the info you need? I think the only benefit of a Siri-type app is for search or text/email, because it beats typing. The personal assistant aspect is just novelty and laziness IMO. I can touch my calendar and weather tiles, and gather information faster than asking a phone what my day looks like.

oolzie

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the above list, as well as VPN, but the thing I'd like to see is more of a unification of WP8 with the rest of the W8 platform. Make them seem the same. For instance, swipe down to close an app, just like in Win8. Stuff like that, make them feel like the same core OS.

Richard Din

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Connie, Richard Din posted he has a 8X, hence why I didn't mention Nokia Transit...unless Nokia owned that app up to everyone else like they did for Drive Beta and I didn't hear about that...

Yup, 8x doesn't have Nokia Transit. I'm kicking myself for being blinded by a prettier phone. Should have gone with Nokia for all of their value add-ons.

I'll have to give Mango Transit a shot. The current gMaps doesn't allow me to force select bus as a method of transit, unless I'm missing something.

NYC travel's app is pretty good for a map reader, but the subway map is not like the official nyc one. They list stops, but they don't have the actual cross streets for each stop.

link5a

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I hope I can still contribute with something new to this thread :smile:

Smartphone features:
*Ability to scroll through html5 videos on IE.
*Ability to undo when typing on SMS, Word or OneNote.
*A decent clipboard, ideally lasting until the phone is powered off.

Basic phone classic features:
*View calls duration in Phone app’s history (aka Call Log).
*Cancel outgoing messages (SMS) – ‘cause anybody can press ‘send’ by mistake.
*Possibility to check that the SMS has been sent rather than getting a notification when it can’t be sent. I guess you’ll never realize how useful this feature has been over the years until you find yourself in low coverage area and jumping on and off network, and then wonder: was the message sent before I lost coverage or will I get the annoying notification once I'm on the network again?

Now, does that add up? :wink:

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't think we'll ever get it but I want a detailed data and battery monitor.
A break down of which apps and features use how much data and a battery usage monitor that shows detail of what's using the most and screen on time etc.

Android has something like that right? Would be a handy feature to see what apps are doing naughty things with your battery.

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
1. Give OEM's ability to fully customize the OS.
2. Real Multitasking
3. More Apps??
4-8.....??? i cant think any more problems 'cause others cited them.
cheers

1. Giving OEMs the ability to fully customize the OS would be an insane move. The biggest selling point of Windows Phone compared to both iOS and Android is........ you get a variety of hardware with the same user experience in software. It's a win and giving OEMs the ability to take away from that winning formula would be a loss.
2. This is a mobile device and not a desktop. Most apps only need very few things running in the background when you're not actively engaged with the app. Microsoft can always work on more APIs for devs. But I think users would lose out in the long run if any old dev could have some app running all the time.
3. More apps? Catch-22. Apps come when developers see opportunities. Those opportunities only come when consumers buy the devices - which are usually held back by lack of apps.
4. <3

Mr_Drewskie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I've read through the many pages of suggestions and below will be a conglomeration of what I think are the best suggestions for Microsoft to implement ...not in any order at all!

• Notification center: Of course Swipe style with volume profiles and brightness and basic comm options like wifi, internet sharing, airplane mode or options to have as many of them or none.

• Landscape mode for start screen a la Windows 8

• Custom SMS message tones and while they're at it for alarms too

• On device File Explorer with options for deleting, copy, paste, send to.

• In relation to the File Explorer I want better sync options. Cloud is cool but I want to sync My documents and whatever files I see fit to My device and to have intelligent sync.

• Integrated Skype

• "Select all" function expanded to entire device and not just SMS

• Flashing or glowing Windows logo for visual notification (Silent mode?)

• Option to disable text preview on start screen.

• Calender: Live tile options for a clock and date with different size, style and layout options. Live tile flip to show upcoming events or a ticker option

• Volume profiles (Silent with no vibe, Vibe, Low, Medium and High) Also, completely separate sliders for games, music and alarms

• Exit button in Task Manager

• DIRECT TO DIALER FOR PHONE BUTTON (with buttons at top or bottom or swipe left or right for phone book and recent calls. Also recent calls should have tabs for out and in calls with search function) Dialer should auto complete as you dial to show either recent call or contacts JUST LIKE Windows Mobile did

• Device wide search function

• A FORWARD BUTTON IN IE only because UC doesn't work for my banking website or I would just use that all the time.

• One point for Office I noticed is Excel is missing some options I would very much like to have ie add or remove lines or columns

I understand that's more than 8 but that's what the forums are for. What do you guys think is my list overkill or perfect?

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
1) Color wheel. Not sure why they haven't added a color wheel to our themes yet, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

2) Idk if it's just me, but I wish that when you highlighted something and hit search that it would search for it all the time. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. This should be standard for whatever you are doing it makes things so much easier. Or just add the ability to highlight, press and hold, and then have "Search for...". I've gotten so used to doing this on my computer with Chrome.

3) Again, idk if its just me but my phone doesn't do "pictures of people" albums when I tag my contacts via sky-drive. It seems like its a Facebook only thing, and since I don't use FB then I feel I'm getting screwed out of this ability. In the same vein, my dates on my contacts don't sync with my Calender. Again, it seems like its a FB only ability, and that I'm getting screwed.

4) Silence on the volume shortcut. Can't tell you how annoying it is watching a video or listening to music and hearing 6-7 different notifications go off.

5) Change the store page back to just New and not New and Rising. I like browsing the new stuff, and it's hard to wade through all the rising stuff I've already seen.

6) As stated, SMS search would be nice. As well as the ability to look at SMS media between you and a contact in the history section. I often go looking for pics that someone text me, and it can be hard to find them.

7) Remove the passcode for the Kids corner. It almost defeats the whole purpose of having it if I still have to put in a passcode.

8) There needs to be better connection with the WP8 and Win8. There's so much potential there for things like syncing, using your phone as your PC's webcam, using the touch screen for navigation on the PC, virtual Keyboard, etc. Not sure why MS didn't make a better connection between the two. Some missed opportunities there.

Richard Din

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I just checked the marketplace, and they fixed the pdf reader! Now I can read subway, bus maps.

And now I can delete those random pdfs of restaurant menus I downloaded a month ago.

Actually the performance is slow for the manhattan bus map. I guess it's too complex or something so it's taking forever to render.

treetownal

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My 8x is becoming worthless thanks to the Other storage problem. The suggestions are nice, but this is a huge error in the OS and asking people to hard reset their phones is absurd. I will leave if they don't fix this soon, and based on the MS forums many others will too. 9GB of Other I am unable to purge, not being dynamically released and I have only 2.5GB of apps, maps and media on 16GB phone that is now close to full.

The OS needs a "Purge Other" method yesterday.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
1) Color wheel. Not sure why they haven't added a color wheel to our themes yet, it seems like a no-brainer to me.2) Idk if it's just me, but I wish that when you highlighted something and hit search that it would search for it all the time. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. This should be standard for whatever you are doing it makes things so much easier. Or just add the ability to highlight, press and hold, and then have "Search for...". I've gotten so used to doing this on my computer with Chrome.3) Again, idk if its just me but my phone doesn't do "pictures of people" albums when I tag my contacts via sky-drive. It seems like its a Facebook only thing, and since I don't use FB then I feel I'm getting screwed out of this ability. In the same vein, my dates on my contacts don't sync with my Calender. Again, it seems like its a FB only ability, and that I'm getting screwed.4) Silence on the volume shortcut. Can't tell you how annoying it is watching a video or listening to music and hearing 6-7 different notifications go off.5) Change the store page back to just New and not New and Rising. I like browsing the new stuff, and it's hard to wade through all the rising stuff I've already seen.6) As stated, SMS search would be nice. As well as the ability to look at SMS media between you and a contact in the history section. I often go looking for pics that someone text me, and it can be hard to find them.7) Remove the passcode for the Kids corner. It almost defeats the whole purpose of having it if I still have to put in a passcode.8) There needs to be better connection with the WP8 and Win8. There's so much potential there for things like syncing, using your phone as your PC's webcam, using the touch screen for navigation on the PC, virtual Keyboard, etc. Not sure why MS didn't make a better connection between the two. Some missed opportunities there.
I think WP8 needs its own messenger. Like BBM or iMessage. That way when you are on your phone you can message someone, and then go to your W8 PC and can continue doing that. And yes I know we have Skype. But that isn't the same as BBM.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I just know I get super frustrated every time I try to play a podcast and it says it can't play it on the phone. Then I try the same one directly from the store and it plays. OR I try the one either before or after it and it plays fine. :eck:

Marc Duisters

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
1 to 8...Bluetooth!!!!!

The bluetooth function of the phone is horrible!!

The car-kit feature is working fine, but i can not control the music player from the handset by the car radio because the AVRCP protocol is missing in WP8.
It's only posible to stream audio from the phone to the car radio.
Does Microsoft know what the fine in the Netherlands and Belgium is for even holding a phone in your hand while driving?? ?350,- !!

Also synchronising music / pictures / documents from the pc to phone with Bluetooth and visaversa with the WindowsPhone desktop app is not supported, we have to use a cable for that...
Living in a wireless world, this is very strange :)

When using Nokia Drive app on my Lumia 920, and listening to the radio, cd, or SD card, you can't hear the navigation voice from the phonespeakers....
Only when selecting the Bluetooth feature on the car radio, you can hear the voice.......

So when using Nokia Drive, its not possible to listen to music!! (or disable the car-kit function......)

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Google is your friend. Try this. :smile:

Also, what people here actually mean is mVPN, not VPN. Try this.

I don't think the question is what does VPN do, the question is what is the use case on a mobile device.

This strikes me as a power user thing that isn't really of value to any but a small subset if users. If they did this before the other items on these lists they'd be fools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos