Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts
    Daniel just posted a really great editorial on what needs to be fixed right now in Windows Phone 8. He picked the top 8 issues that are most pressing for Windows Phone.
    Read the article here.

For the lazy:
    1. Notification Center
    2. Universal Search
    3. Instagram
    4. 'X' to Close Apps
    5. Better Xbox Gaming
    6. Folders
    7. Independent volume and profiles
    8. Fix Xbox Music and Video

Do yourself a favor and read the article so you can see the logic behind those concerns. In the meantime, I want to ask you what are some issues you want Microsoft to address right now?

One thing I'd love to see is tighter integration between all my devices: Xbox, Windows 8 devices (Desktop/laptop/Surface) and my Windows Phone gluing the whole experience together. For example bookmarks between my laptop and phone should sync, my browsing history should also sync between any device I use IE on.

Your turn What do you want in Windows Phone 8 right now?
    Sam Sabri
    Managing Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email - sam@wpcentral.com
    Twitter - samsabri
    Instagram - samsabri
    Twitch - GeneralSham
    Xbox Live - GeneralSham

Global Posts
    1,660 Global Posts
    1. VPN
    2. VPN
    3. VPN
    4. VPN
    5. VPN
    6. VPN
    7. PhoneFactor
    8. Instagram

All the other issues both reported here in the forum and in that article are non-issues to me.

1. Separate media/ringer volume - I guess I've gotten used to changing it all the time, but I'd rather not have to!
    2. Better email attachment options (i.e. can attach Office docs/pdfs etc from within the email app.
    3. Custom SMS tones for specific contacts
    4. A proper stock calendar where I can see the entries in the month view
    5. Close app feature in multi-task screen
    6. Ability to search SMS
    7. Ability for the keyboard to save my email address (this would save so much time!)
    8. Finger seek in music/video

I actually think the article nailed it perfectly. Well done, WPC!

I only want to see instagram so people stop whining about it. I couldn't care less about other people's blurry photos.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    All the 8 up above, and:
    + brightness slider
    + when you're in home screen and hit the 'back button' please don't take us to the background-running apps :(
    + background image for the home screen & app list (at least we're given the options)
    + blinking Windows button/logo as 'additional' notification
    + Path
    + that
    + is
    + all!
    Thanked by:
    N_M_S likes this.

Hi,

1 - Path
    2 - a button to cancel a text field (for example at the opposite of the past button).
    3 - podcast: I need a real app to manage my podcasts
    4 - allow to do more than one action with NFC
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sabri View Post
    Daniel just posted a really great editorial on what needs to be fixed right now in Windows Phone 8. He picked the top 8 issues that are most pressing for Windows Phone.
    Read the article here.

For the lazy:
    1. Notification Center
    2. Universal Search
    3. Instagram
    4. 'X' to Close Apps
    5. Better Xbox Gaming
    6. Folders
    7. Independent volume and profiles
    8. Fix Xbox Music and Video

Those 8 are pretty much the ones that I want to see happen too. Even though I don't need a notification centre or Instagram I understand the importance of them to the platform.

I had an idea for the notification centre. A swipe to the right from the main screen takes you to the app list. So how about a swipe to the left gives you a list of all your notifications ( others have thought of that as well).

If Daniel or the other WPCentral guys are going to be at MWC then can you please bring these up with any MS guys that might be there. They need to listen to the users more instead of being so rigid in their views for the platform.
    Thanked by:
    snowmutt and raul_junior like this.

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts
    Dan and Jay will both be at MWC. You know they'll bring it up ;)
    Sam Sabri
    Managing Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email - sam@wpcentral.com
    Twitter - samsabri
    Instagram - samsabri
    Twitch - GeneralSham
    Xbox Live - GeneralSham
    Thanked by:
    snowmutt and cedarlog like this.

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    fm radio

vpn

usb on the go (connect controllers and stuff)

file explorer

use xbox avatar as phone assistent like siri instead of tellme

blink windows button for notifications
    Thanked by:
    raul_junior likes this.

Global Posts
    1,638 Global Posts
    Less focus on jessica alba, cam newton, and smoking other phones; more focus on developers and apps. Period.

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    1) Notification on ME Hub. Get everything on there and let us touch the notification and take us to the proper app like messaging, email, people hub for FB/Twitter. Also allow to show some brief summary of the message too. Simple. Add notification icons on top in addition to what we see in the tile too

2) Fully Integrate Skype and not in APP form. Skype messenger needs to work like a messeging service on the device like how we see texts and facebook chats. Get it on there, contacts need to be added up with skype information like before, and skype video option needs to be available if you call somebody normally that also has skype. Being able to use front facing camera or switch to back camera needs to be there too.

Get Skype into the OS, period, fully integrated, no compromise, no shortcuts, not betas. Get it there. Fully integrated skype that works well will be a huge factor in growing the market especialy for those people that communicate internationally. It is a no brainer. MS is missing out on a huge opportunity right now

3) Rotation lock

4) Full backup restore. Restore everything as is. Some settings do not restore, getting tiles config restored as well.

5) Attach any type of file from the email app and able to attach multiple files at a time

6) Forward button on IE10

7) Purchase videos through phone and can watch on any device. Whether purchased through xbox, phone, or surface/pc. One purchase 3 screens.

8) Allow notifications like messaging app to show multiple messages. Meaning if i have a large messaging tile and i receive a text. I can see the text, but only shows the last text. Allow it to shuffle between a limited number of unread messages .
    Thanked by:
    siero2h and wpn00b like this.

In no particular order:

Folders (basic stuff)
    File Manager (basic stuff)
    SD card not just limited to media (64GB of pictures?)
    Independent volumes (I might want my alarm to be louder than anything else)
    Customizable alerts (basic stuff)
    Screen brightness below the present Low (before I'm blinded)
    People user-defined field names (MS, my cat could have done this if you'd asked it)
    Not such a rubbish calendar (it's okay but could I choose the default view?)
    Homepage on IE (basic stuff)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    Can somebody explain the need for VPN on mobile devices as simple as possible?

Global Posts
    6,470 Global Posts
    Eventually, here's what I'd hope to see:

1. The Lenses idea applied to some other stock apps. For example, having Calendar + app add the add the additional functionality into the native Calendar app itself.

2. Edit playlists on the phone itself.

3. Ability to store maps on SD card.

4. Improved metadata for Music...nothing annoys me more than an album I bought on Amazon not being recognized by Xbox Music and I don't get the artist picture.

These in the grand scheme of things are nice additions but on the smaller side. Right now, I'm for most of Daniel's suggestions.

I guess Instagram is really hard to make a 3rd party client for. I'm surprised no one to a shot at that....
    Thanked by:
    wpn00b likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    Google is your friend. Try this.

Also, what people here actually mean is mVPN, not VPN. Try this.

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/

@WMC Windows Phone 8.1 OS update to be shown! Lets hope they have more then 8 new features! 😎
    I hope they bring back all the features they had already in WM6.5 that would be my 12 I mean 8 things like to see. 😁
    ATIV S is LIFE
    Thanked by:
    RSB54 likes this.

• Option in Xbox Games to only show achievements for WP games not all types of achievements (PC, Xbox, web, Win8 )
    • Play next podcast in the set if one exists..If you have 2 podcasts for say WP Central after the 1st the next unplayed one starts...
    • Center the music cover art on the playing screen and just tidy the whole thing up
    • Complete Calender rewrite, make it use all screen space and support rotation better
    Thanked by:
    @Daniel Rubino

Daniel just posted a really great editorial on what needs to be fixed right now in Windows Phone 8.
    I think you got this right on almost all counts. I would disagree only with the 'X' to close apps" feature. This is my reasoning:

1)
    One of the main philosophies behind WP, is that having to micromanage the technical aspects of a device (like RAM or CPU resources) is evil. The OS goes to great lengths to ensure it can manage these aspects entirely autonomously. Users should just forget about it. Adding this feature suggests precisely the opposite. It flies in the face of what WP is meant to be. It is also guaranteed to reinforce preconceived notions about how a smartphone should be used, particularly in former Android users who will feel compelled to continue micromanaging app lifespans on WP. It's akin to WP developing a dissociative identity disorder, and none of us want that, right? ;-)

2)
    Very few in the WP community actually feel an urge to micromanage app lifespans. As evidenced by the majority of comments on Microsoft's uservoice site, this feature is really about dealing with a horrid UI design flaw in IE. After having browsed the web, closing IE can require half a gazillion interactions with the physical back button. It's awful. But I ask you this. Is there not something fundamentally fishy about adding features to the OS, in an attempt to correct a design flaw in mobile IE? Even worse, might that not also encourage others to develop apps with the same horrid design flaw (huge backstacks)?

3)
    There are better alternatives:

• What about adding an "exit" entry to IE's app menu?
    • What about having IE recognize a gesture to instantly exit it?
    • Why not separate the concepts of web-page-navigation and WP-task-navigation by adding a "backward navigation" button to the app bar, and let a single tap of the physical back button instantly return us to wherever we were before having entered IE?

I would prefer the last solution, but I think any of those suggestions makes more sense than the "X' to close apps" feature, as it solves the problem at its source, in IE.

Note: I would also move the address bar to the top of the screen (have it drop down just like the status bar on the start screen), to make room for 'backward navigation', 'forward navigation', 'tabs' and 'favourites' buttons on the bottom app bar, but that is an entirely separate issue.

4)
    The back button typically returns us to the previous page or app. This navigational technique often breaks down when using mobile IE, due to the need to spam the back button. If our goal is nothing more than to return to previous app, then the "X' to close apps" feature can only be thought of as a very cumbersome workaround (at best). Calling up the task switcher (tap & hold), finding IE in the task list (potentially multiple swipes), closing IE (tap), finding the previous app in the task list (more swipes) and resuming it (tap) is quite a few steps. That is much worse then the solution I suggested in (3) which would require nothing but a single short tap of the back button. IMHO that is a more natural fit and closer to the spirit of WP than the "X' to close app" feature.

I don't know. Maybe you wouldn't mind taking this to Microsoft at MWC instead of the "X' to close app" feature suggestion. What do you think?

Your turn What do you want in Windows Phone 8 right now?
    I would refer you to AngryNil's excellent compilation of WP's greatest omissions, or as he calls it "[REF] Possible OS Improvements"
    Last edited by a5cent; 02-03-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Clarifications to issue 4
    Thanked by:
    Agent-P, LeLee092 and Tiwo like this.

Global Posts
    6,470 Global Posts
    It would be nice that when you click on "Store" while in the Music Hub it opens to the "Music" section of the Store and not the default Store home page. I mean, when you're in the Games Hub and click on Store it opens right to the Games section. Fair is far, no?

Also, how about from the home screen a swipe to the left brings up the notification center? When kids mode is active, make notification center password protected? That way you can still see the stuff on lockscreen and the kid's swiping around doesn't remove an important notification.

Global Posts
    1,660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    I work in an IT department. We use Spiceworks for tracking inventory and support requests. Spiceworks runs on our internal network and does not have an external presence. With a VPN connection to my corporate network, I can bring up Spiceworks to address tickets if I'm not in the office (or on my computer at home), which is necessary sometimes.

My iPhone 4S allows for VPN connections, so I have to carry it as my main phone (there's also a Spiceworks app for iOS so I don't have to use a browser, but that's a minor, minor point). My Lumia 820 does not allow for VPN connections, so I can't use it as my main phone.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    i'll take a stab, these are what i wish were on the platform right now to be competitive with ios and android......

1.) notification center
    2.) 3rd party music and video player. like poweramp and mx player pro from android.
    3.) better pdf reader and organizer
    4.) official instagram app or instagram to allow a 3rd party app to use its API's to post pics.
    5.) official facebook app and facebook messenger
    6.) ability to download any attachments with IE, just give me a warning that i'm about to do it so that if anything bad happens after that it was on me and not MS.
    7.) more xbox games with achievements and synchronous launches like skulls of shogun did.
    8.) VPN connections and better WIFI connection management.
    9.) ability to close apps from the app manager to get rid of repeatedly hitting the back button.
    10.) seperate volume controls for ringtones, notification, music and video, headphones, speaker
    11.) disable the search button when camera is on
    12.) make it so developer tools automaticly have toast notifications and live tiles enabled so every app natively uses the function.

that's all i can think of now. i'll edit if i come up with more. some of these i think will be addressed and come to WP8.
    Thanked by:
    Osama204 likes this.
    Developer

So, I'm pretty sure I will repeat much from the article and stuff other users have said. However below are my 8 main things I'd like to seem MS fix/add asap. Though numbered, no particular order.

1) Audio Profiles and seperate audio volumes for: 1) System Sounds. 2) Game/Media Sounds. 3) Call sounds. In this call volumes are already segmented out, however I shouldn't have to turn down a game and then close out only to forget "oh, now my phone's on complete silent". It's annoying and (for me) has/can lead to missed calls and messages.

2) A notification center, Unified. The idea of the live tiles are great. If you line up EVERY app that notifies you of things and put em on the start screen you can almost achieve what MS set out for. But sadly, you can't and thus won't. For the apps that come with WP8, it works. If my notification life centered around only mail, and texts it'd be great. But there needs to be a way for me to hope between notifications. Touch one and I'm in the app dealing with whatever.

3) More XBOX-Live enabled games. MS has a HUGE gate available for the fact that every MS account automatically nets you an xbox live setup. The games need to reflect this more. They need to invest, either by way of courting more devs, or investing in port-a-thons themselves. Look, it's obvious most devs don't want to do the work for "fear the OS will die" Thus enabling this ugly cycle. So port it all, tell em you'll foot the bill if they help with QC and do something, anything.

4) Leading from above as a separate point; more gaming engines. I know for a fact the capabilities of this handsets with their lite OS. They can do a lot, court them, court them like you've never courted before MS.

5) Heavier Skype integration. Look, it's obvious. IOS has their iMessage and Face-time thing. Google has gTalk with video etc. And BB has BBM and now with video chat. These services are all core to their respective OS's. To this end, you OWN Skype. Merge with it like a parasite and integrate it and a subsequent BBM competitor in the system. You are MS. I strongly believe this is within you're means.

6) Better MS-Office functionality. I understand this was a big selling point for everyone. But honestly? I thought it'd save my life but it's actually a little worse than some experiences on android in certain ways. The formating is attrocious for me and I've seen no option to adjust or change this to reflect the actual doc. I'm hoping I've missed the proper way to use this so I hope someone kindly corrects me (also, I can't make new notebooks in OneNote? Why not??).

7) Folders/Better App Organization options. As he article points out, WP is great if all you have are a few apps. After a while, the jump list isn't enough much-less the start screen. One needs a seamless way to group on the home screen By the way, this is a direct cousin to our notification issue. See, if an app notifies us and it's not pinned, when we get to our phone we have no Idea what app it was. Much-less to scroll through all we have pinned to hope whichever app it was is there.

8) Many may still disagree with this, but a better way for apps to share content. I don't know how to delve into this one, but it just doesn't work as well as described most times. I know this can't come as isolated storage is core to the OS. But seriously? Uggh. And that said, an 8b; better default doc support. I expect from a MS type device PDF's etc are handled better than they were out of the box. Now the PDF app is updated, but just as a word of caution....
    deadwrong03 and Tiwo like this.

Great points 1-8. I would add:

9. App specific location services enable/disable.
    10. WPA2 - Enterprice wifi support
    Thanked by:
    Osama204 likes this.

Every point here is a good point. My 2 cents: reorganize settings: the list is so long
    Thanked by:
    siero2h likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by travisel View Post
    Mobile World Congress 2013 | The world's premier mobile industry event

@WMC Windows Phone 8.1 OS update to be shown! Lets hope they have more then 8 new features! ��
    I hope they bring back all the features they had already in WM6.5 that would be my 12 I mean 8 things like to see. ��
    I hope MS will also improve the roll out times of the updates. Portico update is still unavailable for my 920 and I'm afraid 8.1 will take some half a year to roll out. That is just unacceptable.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast