Anyone switching to a Nokia due to exclusive apps?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Am I really missing out by having an 8x?

Yes.

Are the exclusive apps eventually coming to all WP8 phones (I've heard rumors, but not 100% sure).

Some will. They have different lengths of time for exclusivity, usually ranging from 3 months to a year or more. Anything with Nokia in the name though, you will never get, with the exception of Nokia Drive.

Are the exclusive apps really that big a deal to you and is anyone else considering switching to a Lumia?

The exclusive apps are a big deal to me. Some of the Nokia branded ones are among the best apps you can get on Windows Phone and considering our app selection is a little limited, this is key. I've never had anything but a Nokia (as far as Windows Phones go) because I like their hardware better than anyone else's and because of the exclusive apps. I also feel great about supporting a manufacturer which is behind Windows Phone 100% instead of focusing 95% of their energy on Android and dabbling in Windows Phone. Nokia goes a step further than that too, by contributing a lot to Windows Phone. I don't think WP would be enjoying it's recent upsurge in popularity without Nokia.

slap0rama

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I will definitely be staying with my 8x, I absolutely love it! As long as I still have Nokia Drive I will be all set. I am glad Nokia is doing great things with the Windows Phone so my hat's off to them.

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Nope not me. If Verizon offered the 920, I would have gone for that just for the awesome low light camera, other than that, not at all. I love my 8x and now that we have a great Windows 8 Navigation App from Nokia Drive+. I am happy with 8x, granted that I am having some problem with crackling noises from Beats Audio in my head phones

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a lumia 920, currently the 8x is the best windows phone. The lumia 920 has the exclusive apps store but really the only thing worth having is Nokia music. The Lumia 920 is a good phone but it has a overheating problem when using games and even Nokia drive. Currently the 8x is the best windows phone.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I liked the color (California blue) and lightness of the 8x so I chose it over a Lumia phone. I knew about the Nokia apps before buying, but didn't know it would bug me so much.

Everyday I check wpcentral and whenever I read about another Nokia exclusive it kind of bothers me. Am I really missing out by having an 8x? Are the exclusive apps eventually coming to all WP8 phones (I've heard rumors, but not 100% sure).

I've been considering selling my 8x and buying an 820 (don't like the size\weight of 920), but I feel the 8x is a true premium phone compared to the 820 which is more mid-range. Are the exclusive apps really that big a deal to you and is anyone else considering switching to a Lumia?

I would not choose a Nokia phone just for the "exclusive" apps. Some are decent but most offer nothing special. Drive is also terrible - it should be labeled as Drive Alpha, not Drive Beta. The old Bing directions app from WP7 offered better directions and actual working features. BTW, I still don't get how anyone can refer to Drive as an impressive app. People must have never used a directions app on another platform. The facts that you cannot scroll ahead through directions; cannot use the hands free Bluetooth systems in cars to audibly announce directions; and need to download a separate voice file to get street names, make it among the most primitive apps in its class. At least in Phoenix, it also give iPhone maps level bad directions.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Can we consider Nokia Hammer as an exclusive app? Seriously. You can build a house with this phones durablity.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

46793_10151212637262397_926703992_n.jpg

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think the OP is on the right track, but not asking the exact right question.

Should anyone have given up a HTC 8X for a Nokia for the Nokia apps? Most likely not. They are the type of apps that you may enjoy if you have, but won't miss if you didn't. Most people who own the 8X enjoy their device. That means the exclusive app count isn't enough by itself to detract from the experience.

The real question is: Does the existence of Nokia exclusive apps show you should switch because they treat WP as their life blood, not as a nice compliment to some other OS? Who got the "Tango" update to their WP 7 devices first? Which OEM is getting 7.8 out to their devices first, regardless of International, unlocked, or carrier status? What device maker sends firmware out to their WP's regularly?

Did HTC even support the Titan or Titan 2? Did those two even GET Tango? (On AT&T, that answer is no. Willing to listen to International owners experience.) Not sure on their track record of the Radar, but I am not remembering T-Mobile users exploding with praise about HTC's support. Will the 8X be better supported? Sure, that is a solid chance. But Nokia's has PROVEN they will support their WP phones, and exclusive apps and tools will continue to come along the way. Anyone want to put money on what manufacturer has the best chance to get a credit card reader app or maybe even the great WP Unicorn Instagram first?

As a Samsung Focus S owner who loves his phone, I do not say this to slam HTC. I love their history with Microsoft, and if not for them WP may not exist in the form it does today. I say this as a Samsung Focus S owner who loves his phone but will not own anything else but a Nokia so long as WP 8 continues on it's great path.

Nokia has shown they will support and develop their products. HTC hasn't yet.

Crap, Sammy can't even get their WP's released. So, at least HTC has that on their side.....

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I got Lumia 800 when owning a Titan, and why I ditched Titan for Lumia 920 was the taste of Nokia exclusives I experienced while using L800. It just made so much sense. Although you will find most of the peeps saying it doesn't matter, but the times when things like Viber goes exclusive to Nokia for a month or whatever, it used to bug me. But having said that, 8X is an amazingly light device so if you are enjoying the phone itself and aren't an app whore like most of smartphone users, don't worry about exclusives. They are 15-20 max!

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me what exactly the exlusive apps are on the HTC 8X? I've been to the store and looked at both the 810 or 820 and the 8X...I like the HTC 8X better. But, I forgot to see what the HTC Apps were. I heard there wasn't many HTC Apps on the 8X, so if anyone can please run down a list for me, that will really help! Thanks! :smile:

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't have said it better myself, snowmutt.

After the way HTC (and T-Mobile) have thrown all their devices under the bus, I will think 10x before buying another HTC phone. Nokia goes to the top of the list.

Don't get me wrong. I love my HD7. It's been a great phone, and has plenty of life left, but I expect I will be upgrading this November. When that day comes, I will remember that Nokia, more than any other, who has shown time and time again that they want our business.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd say a combo of the apps, plus Nokia's obvious efforts to support the platform with updates, etc are the two biggest reasons that I'll almost certainly never willingly own a wp8 brand other than Nokia.

Leonardo Ferrer

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd definitely choose Nokia only for the exclusive apps. City Lens is just amazing! Counters is very handy, and those are only 2 of the 36 apps I see on Nokia Collection. Combined with a great committment to WP makes Nokia the 1st choice for me.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
the exclusive apps make me stick with Nokia.

I would compromise hardware choices in order to get the apps. For example the 620 is more of a mid range or even low end device but I would consider that before an 8x or ATIV S

lfjj

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I did not switch to Nokia (from HTC Titan) because of the exclusive apps, I just wanted to be under a company which gave me support, and HTC haven't done that for many years.

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I wont say i will move over to Nokia purely based on the apps, - how many Exclusive Apps does Nokia really have that others O/S dun have that is really Earth Shaking? - i dun think there are more than 10 apps...

rather it is a whole package..
was using Samsung SII prior....
chose Nokis L920 - primarily three reasons:
1) Camera
2) I dun wana follow the crowd...(ie apple, samsung) - i wana be different
3) Exclusive Apps ( Nokia Offline Maps & City Lens)

I really like OFFLINE MAPS & Nokia City Lens... (best app if you are traveling)
just curious why Nokia City lens dun get mentioned as often - in adv / in the forumn...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos