Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Global Posts
    937 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner79 View Post
    I liked the color (California blue) and lightness of the 8x so I chose it over a Lumia phone. I knew about the Nokia apps before buying, but didn't know it would bug me so much.

Everyday I check wpcentral and whenever I read about another Nokia exclusive it kind of bothers me. Am I really missing out by having an 8x? Are the exclusive apps eventually coming to all WP8 phones (I've heard rumors, but not 100% sure).

I've been considering selling my 8x and buying an 820 (don't like the size\weight of 920), but I feel the 8x is a true premium phone compared to the 820 which is more mid-range. Are the exclusive apps really that big a deal to you and is anyone else considering switching to a Lumia?
    I would not choose a Nokia phone just for the "exclusive" apps. Some are decent but most offer nothing special. Drive is also terrible - it should be labeled as Drive Alpha, not Drive Beta. The old Bing directions app from WP7 offered better directions and actual working features. BTW, I still don't get how anyone can refer to Drive as an impressive app. People must have never used a directions app on another platform. The facts that you cannot scroll ahead through directions; cannot use the hands free Bluetooth systems in cars to audibly announce directions; and need to download a separate voice file to get street names, make it among the most primitive apps in its class. At least in Phoenix, it also give iPhone maps level bad directions.

Global Posts
    754 Global Posts
    I got Mirror's Edge, Sonic CD, and Super Monkey Ball 2 for free thanks to Nokia
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryker002 View Post
    Can we consider Nokia Hammer as an exclusive app? Seriously. You can build a house with this phones durablity.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,515 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    I think the OP is on the right track, but not asking the exact right question.

Should anyone have given up a HTC 8X for a Nokia for the Nokia apps? Most likely not. They are the type of apps that you may enjoy if you have, but won't miss if you didn't. Most people who own the 8X enjoy their device. That means the exclusive app count isn't enough by itself to detract from the experience.

The real question is: Does the existence of Nokia exclusive apps show you should switch because they treat WP as their life blood, not as a nice compliment to some other OS? Who got the "Tango" update to their WP 7 devices first? Which OEM is getting 7.8 out to their devices first, regardless of International, unlocked, or carrier status? What device maker sends firmware out to their WP's regularly?

Did HTC even support the Titan or Titan 2? Did those two even GET Tango? (On AT&T, that answer is no. Willing to listen to International owners experience.) Not sure on their track record of the Radar, but I am not remembering T-Mobile users exploding with praise about HTC's support. Will the 8X be better supported? Sure, that is a solid chance. But Nokia's has PROVEN they will support their WP phones, and exclusive apps and tools will continue to come along the way. Anyone want to put money on what manufacturer has the best chance to get a credit card reader app or maybe even the great WP Unicorn Instagram first?

As a Samsung Focus S owner who loves his phone, I do not say this to slam HTC. I love their history with Microsoft, and if not for them WP may not exist in the form it does today. I say this as a Samsung Focus S owner who loves his phone but will not own anything else but a Nokia so long as WP 8 continues on it's great path.

Nokia has shown they will support and develop their products. HTC hasn't yet.

Crap, Sammy can't even get their WP's released. So, at least HTC has that on their side.....
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    Thanked by:
    HeyCori likes this.

Global Posts
    3,515 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    FYI Paladin, I am given you fair warning I am not above theft. Do NOT be surprised if this doesn't end up as my Avatar someday, and I will give you ZERO credit for it...

Laughed my skinny buttocks off....
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    The only reason I got Lumia 800 when owning a Titan, and why I ditched Titan for Lumia 920 was the taste of Nokia exclusives I experienced while using L800. It just made so much sense. Although you will find most of the peeps saying it doesn't matter, but the times when things like Viber goes exclusive to Nokia for a month or whatever, it used to bug me. But having said that, 8X is an amazingly light device so if you are enjoying the phone itself and aren't an app ***** like most of smartphone users, don't worry about exclusives. They are 15-20 max!
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
    snowmutt likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post
    FYI Paladin, I am given you fair warning I am not above theft. Do NOT be surprised if this doesn't end up as my Avatar someday, and I will give you ZERO credit for it...
    Too late, I already took it.

Laughed my skinny buttocks off....
    It was on the Nokia Facebook page. I loved it.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Thanked by:
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    Can anyone tell me what exactly the exlusive apps are on the HTC 8X? I've been to the store and looked at both the 810 or 820 and the 8X...I like the HTC 8X better. But, I forgot to see what the HTC Apps were. I heard there wasn't many HTC Apps on the 8X, so if anyone can please run down a list for me, that will really help! Thanks!

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Couldn't have said it better myself, snowmutt.

After the way HTC (and T-Mobile) have thrown all their devices under the bus, I will think 10x before buying another HTC phone. Nokia goes to the top of the list.

Don't get me wrong. I love my HD7. It's been a great phone, and has plenty of life left, but I expect I will be upgrading this November. When that day comes, I will remember that Nokia, more than any other, who has shown time and time again that they want our business.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,622 Global Posts
    I'd say a combo of the apps, plus Nokia's obvious efforts to support the platform with updates, etc are the two biggest reasons that I'll almost certainly never willingly own a wp8 brand other than Nokia.
    I'd definitely choose Nokia only for the exclusive apps. City Lens is just amazing! Counters is very handy, and those are only 2 of the 36 apps I see on Nokia Collection. Combined with a great committment to WP makes Nokia the 1st choice for me.

the exclusive apps make me stick with Nokia.

I would compromise hardware choices in order to get the apps. For example the 620 is more of a mid range or even low end device but I would consider that before an 8x or ATIV S

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I did not switch to Nokia (from HTC Titan) because of the exclusive apps, I just wanted to be under a company which gave me support, and HTC haven't done that for many years.
    Device: Nokia Lumia 920 (Black)
    Firmware: 8.0.10517.150
    Network: Tele2 Sweden

500px:
    @LostMySelf
    Instagram:
    @lightness90

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I wont say i will move over to Nokia purely based on the apps, - how many Exclusive Apps does Nokia really have that others O/S dun have that is really Earth Shaking? - i dun think there are more than 10 apps...

rather it is a whole package..
    was using Samsung SII prior....
    chose Nokis L920 - primarily three reasons:
    1) Camera
    2) I dun wana follow the crowd...(ie apple, samsung) - i wana be different
    3) Exclusive Apps ( Nokia Offline Maps & City Lens)

I really like OFFLINE MAPS & Nokia City Lens... (best app if you are traveling)
    just curious why Nokia City lens dun get mentioned as often - in adv / in the forumn...
    Jaripi likes this.
    Because city lens is still in its beta version. Cant advertise something that isn't ready for prime time
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
    I'd say just stick to your 8X mate. The 8X really isn't a bad device. It's beautiful and very good! But if I was you, I wouldn't even consider getting the HTC. I know it's a great device but HTC doesn't have a good service center in Malaysia and they don't really provide us with good service unlike Nokia, hardware-wise and software-wise. My friend has got a HTC One X and HTC Malaysia don't seem to give him all the support unlike I have with Nokia.

The reason why I choose Nokia instead is:

• Nokia is fully committed to Windows Phone and will definitely give all the support.
    • Nokia has rolled out tons and tons of update and it keeps on coming - good sign that they're giving out good service!
    • I'm a Nokia fan and has been using Nokia phones for a very long time.
    • I want to stay away from the mainstreams.
    • The exclusive apps which some may be available for non-Nokia phones, but newer ones are expected to come.
    • Sturdy and great build quality.
    • Fantastic camera.
    • What more?
    Nokia Lumia 620 - White

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Can anyone tell me what exactly the exlusive apps are on the HTC 8X? I've been to the store and looked at both the 810 or 820 and the 8X...I like the HTC 8X better. But, I forgot to see what the HTC Apps were. I heard there wasn't many HTC Apps on the 8X, so if anyone can please run down a list for me, that will really help! Thanks!
    HTC -> A digital watch for the Home Screen with some weather functions. For my taste pretty useless.
    Connection Setup -> To set up your provider. I think every unlocked phone does have this (also Samsung and Nokia).
    Flashlight -> A pretty nice flashlight app using the camera's flash.
    Photo Enhancer -> Probably 'enhancing' photos, I don't use apps that do random things to my pictures.
    Converter -> A converter.
    Make More Space -> Something useless.

Obviously I don't use any HTC apps regularly.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Y'all here are leaning towards Nokia. I personally went from the Lumia 800 > 820 > HTC 8X.

Reason for the switch away from Nokia? Bad bad bad bad bad customer service. Yes, it may be an isolated incident, but heck, I don't even use any of Nokia's exclusive apps. Xpress has terrible UI and is painfully slow. I don't use navigation. I don't use lenses. The phone is too wide, I can't type with one-hand.

Made the switch over to the 8X (they cost the same, second hand). Didn't look back. Yes, I'm jealous that Nokia gets all the exclusive games, but I'm not that huge of a gamer. The 8X is thinner, lighter, and just better (IMHO). And definitely way more attractive.

HTC > Lumia IMHO.

Also, I've set lock screen timeout to 5 minutes, sometimes I put my phone on a stand, and I can see the time from about 1.5m away with the HTC Clock.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    HTC -> A digital watch for the Home Screen with some weather functions. For my taste pretty useless.
    The HTC app I loved the most. I would just stare blankly into the weather. The animated weather was BEAUTIFUL for me. I want it on my Nokia Lumia 920 >_<

Flashlight -> A pretty nice flashlight app using the camera's flash.
    Clean, permissions all set correctly, no ads/charge for it. Has a nice SOS function to it too (click on the ellipses, tap SOS, then point the flash to the sky. You're now ready to be rescued)

Photo Enhancer -> Probably 'enhancing' photos, I don't use apps that do random things to my pictures.
    Think Instagram filters. Easiest way to explain this app.

Make More Space -> Something useless.
    What? Never heard of this? Must be a WP8 exclusive one.

Obviously I don't use any HTC apps regularly.
    I used them a fair bit on my HTC TITAN.

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    I used an 8X for 2 months. Having used a Lumia 800 previously, I missed Nokia's exclusive apps. So I sold the 8X and got a L920. Is it worth the switch? Depends on you I suppose. The quality of the exclusive apps is worlds apart compared to the HTC apps.

The L920 also has a more quality build to it. Not to mention the amazing low light camera.

For me, Nokia exclusive ApS wasn't a motivating factor since the 920 was my first WP. However, now that I have a Nokia device, it would be an issue.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    What? Never heard of this? Must be a WP8 exclusive one.
    It gives you a list of how much space "music+videos", "pictures" and "documents" needs, and provides a shortcut to the built in hubs. Maybe there would be more functions with an SD card, I don't know. For the 8X it basically does nothing.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12