Anyone switching to a Nokia due to exclusive apps?

reckoner79

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I liked the color (California blue) and lightness of the 8x so I chose it over a Lumia phone. I knew about the Nokia apps before buying, but didn't know it would bug me so much.

Everyday I check wpcentral and whenever I read about another Nokia exclusive it kind of bothers me. Am I really missing out by having an 8x? Are the exclusive apps eventually coming to all WP8 phones (I've heard rumors, but not 100% sure).

I've been considering selling my 8x and buying an 820 (don't like the size\weight of 920), but I feel the 8x is a true premium phone compared to the 820 which is more mid-range. Are the exclusive apps really that big a deal to you and is anyone else considering switching to a Lumia?

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Some exclusive apps are coming to other phones. For example, nokia drive amd mirror edge. I would say that Nokia Drive and Nokia Music are the most important apps for me that are from nokia. That being said, it s always a pleasant day when I get a free game from them :) is it worth switching over now that you have 8x? Not really! You have a great device and unless you are crazy about getting the exclusive apps, it doesn't really matter that much. I played a little bit with the x8 and I thought it was good. I like the screen size, weight, and thickness of it compared to my lumia 920. Overall, they are both good phones but nokia is doing much better at customer service in terms of firmware updates for functionalities and exclusive apps.

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Don't give up your phone. The 8x truly is magnificent. I don't think the Nokia Exclusives are really that good anyways. But exclusives usually do eventually come out for the rest of the windows phone market.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The fact that Nokia does so much in terms of apps and updates was important to me. I am not a real app whore, but thought I should stick with Nokia as they were well regarded when I was doing my research.

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
The fact that Nokia does so much in terms of apps and updates was important to me. I am not a real app whore, but thought I should stick with Nokia as they were well regarded when I was doing my research.
Can we consider Nokia Hammer as an exclusive app? Seriously. You can build a house with this phones durablity.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
The only app that was making me consider a Nokia over an HTC was their awesome Navigation app, but last week that got released to all windows phones so that no long matters. The only other exclusive app that Nokia has that I really want is the game Mirror's Edge and it's exclusivity ran out today and I was able to get it. (it was thought that it might have been permanently exclusive) I think most of the recent announcements have been games, and I'm not a huge phone gamer now that I have Mirror's Edge & Skulls of the Shogun I should be set for quite a while. I guess it really depends if you think you really need something that Nokia provides exclusively, but you won't see me trading my 8x for an 822 anytime soon.

reckoner79

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Drive is great and finally EA is releasing former exclusives. I just hope the former exclusives keep coming. For the most part it seems the important exclusives are games, so its not that big a deal.

I guess I can live with it for now, but if something like Instagram becomes exclusive to Nokia I will probably jump ship.

Lean4838

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Reckoner, you and me are in the same position word for word!

Initially I wanted the 920, but chose the 8X because I liked its blue-ness better than Cyan. I was very happy with the 8X! But after a time of using it, about 1 month, I somehow felt that I should have gone Nokia. I mean, everytime I go to WPCentral I see Nokia has updated this or Nokia has done that which makes me feel left behind by HTC. I would really like to try out the Nokia Drive and Nokia Transport, etc.!

But still, I am very happy with my 8X. Seeing that Nokia Drive has been released in the US brings hope for me that maybe it will also be released in my country. And I will be very happy for that.

I just hope HTC cares about us 8X and 8S users and they do their best supporting WP8!

Jalik

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I use a Lumia800 but I plan to upgrade to an Ativ S soon. I was asking myself what Nokia apps I might miss or whether I should take the 820 (920 not available for O2 Germany). The answer is: not many. Music and City Lens maybe. Honestly, its just natural to want what the others got and Nokia DOES enhance the WP experience. But its not really essential.
I'd advice you to not regret a decision you were happy with when you made it. I'll give up the Nokia apps and won't have sleepless nights (not because of that anyway).

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The only reason for me to pick up a Nokia phone is because of its nostalgia :D. Just love to say to people that I have 'the good ol' Nokia' brand again!

mitixx

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
When I decided to move to WP I gave a look to most devices. I ended up buying a Lumia920, since my old phone was getting useless cause of lag and the 8x wasn't yet available in my country. The 820 didn't worth the money (100€ less), since with the 920 I also had the free wireless charger (60-70€).
Anyway I think I would have got the same also if the 8x and the AtivS were in the store, because I like that Nokia continues to updates their apps, increasing their numbers. Plus I liked their way to innovate, using a different design, a really good camera and the wireless charging. To me it always seems that Nokia has a "closer relationship" with Microsoft than other brands.
I bought it without being able to see it, since it was impossible to find in any store. Like many I was worried about the weight and dimension, but really it doesn't weight kilograms!
But if you don't mind apps I think the 8x is a great looking devices with top specs so there is not really a reason to switch. I think the only really good stuffs are the maps/drive and music. If you didn't care about those, probably you won't mind about a few games!

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
No, because none of the exclusive apps are worth doing that for.

I reckon when I come to upgrade in 18 months time, there probably wont be a current HTC Windows phone, as they don't seem to have any interest in the platform at all, but the exclusive apps so far aren't worth switching for.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh and nokia transport is awesome! I forgot to mention that. So far it has always been accurate. I can't say the same thing about bing nor google in my area! Basically, I think the initial suit of apps from nokia were an important factor for me in choosing nokia. The exclusive apps and games released once in a while are icing on the cake. I don't see an app that will make you downgrade from 8x to 822.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The exclusive apps were among the main reasons I went with the Lumia. The HTC phones seemed pretty good, but with Nokia drive, city lens, music, smart shoot, etc. it was enough to lush me to the Lumia.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I loved the look of the 8x but the memory sucked, it was much more expensive, they don't care about the platform, they don't support the cool new features like wireless charging, and I have a bad history with HTCs breaking because I looked at them wrong. I loved the look but the HTC had too many shortcomings beyond just software so I went Nokia. I wont be going back any time soon.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't switch to Nokia because of the apps. They seem not really that great to me.

Maybe I would switch to Nokia because I like Nokia, but for that I'd need a high-end phone that doesn't look like a blown up N9 ;-)

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
No, not me.
I actually went with the cooler thinner design of the HTC 8x believing that the apps part of this will be just a matter of time when most of the WOW apps be available on every brand of WP 8 as long as the OS is identical on all devices.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Since I refuse to own anything through A$&$, not an option for me. Probably would have got the 920 if Tmobile had it, although I love the 8X

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)