Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

I liked the color (California blue) and lightness of the 8x so I chose it over a Lumia phone. I knew about the Nokia apps before buying, but didn't know it would bug me so much.

Everyday I check wpcentral and whenever I read about another Nokia exclusive it kind of bothers me. Am I really missing out by having an 8x? Are the exclusive apps eventually coming to all WP8 phones (I've heard rumors, but not 100% sure).

I've been considering selling my 8x and buying an 820 (don't like the size\weight of 920), but I feel the 8x is a true premium phone compared to the 820 which is more mid-range. Are the exclusive apps really that big a deal to you and is anyone else considering switching to a Lumia?

Some exclusive apps are coming to other phones. For example, nokia drive amd mirror edge. I would say that Nokia Drive and Nokia Music are the most important apps for me that are from nokia. That being said, it s always a pleasant day when I get a free game from them :) is it worth switching over now that you have 8x? Not really! You have a great device and unless you are crazy about getting the exclusive apps, it doesn't really matter that much. I played a little bit with the x8 and I thought it was good. I like the screen size, weight, and thickness of it compared to my lumia 920. Overall, they are both good phones but nokia is doing much better at customer service in terms of firmware updates for functionalities and exclusive apps.
    Thanked by:
    TMavC5 and alan jayakar like this.

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Don't give up your phone. The 8x truly is magnificent. I don't think the Nokia Exclusives are really that good anyways. But exclusives usually do eventually come out for the rest of the windows phone market.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

The fact that Nokia does so much in terms of apps and updates was important to me. I am not a real app *****, but thought I should stick with Nokia as they were well regarded when I was doing my research.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Gamertag: peachy001

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy001 View Post
    The fact that Nokia does so much in terms of apps and updates was important to me. I am not a real app *****, but thought I should stick with Nokia as they were well regarded when I was doing my research.
    Can we consider Nokia Hammer as an exclusive app? Seriously. You can build a house with this phones durablity.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

The only app that was making me consider a Nokia over an HTC was their awesome Navigation app, but last week that got released to all windows phones so that no long matters. The only other exclusive app that Nokia has that I really want is the game Mirror's Edge and it's exclusivity ran out today and I was able to get it. (it was thought that it might have been permanently exclusive) I think most of the recent announcements have been games, and I'm not a huge phone gamer now that I have Mirror's Edge & Skulls of the Shogun I should be set for quite a while. I guess it really depends if you think you really need something that Nokia provides exclusively, but you won't see me trading my 8x for an 822 anytime soon.

Nokia Drive is great and finally EA is releasing former exclusives. I just hope the former exclusives keep coming. For the most part it seems the important exclusives are games, so its not that big a deal.

I guess I can live with it for now, but if something like Instagram becomes exclusive to Nokia I will probably jump ship.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Reckoner, you and me are in the same position word for word!

Initially I wanted the 920, but chose the 8X because I liked its blue-ness better than Cyan. I was very happy with the 8X! But after a time of using it, about 1 month, I somehow felt that I should have gone Nokia. I mean, everytime I go to WPCentral I see Nokia has updated this or Nokia has done that which makes me feel left behind by HTC. I would really like to try out the Nokia Drive and Nokia Transport, etc.!

But still, I am very happy with my 8X. Seeing that Nokia Drive has been released in the US brings hope for me that maybe it will also be released in my country. And I will be very happy for that.

I just hope HTC cares about us 8X and 8S users and they do their best supporting WP8!

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I use a Lumia800 but I plan to upgrade to an Ativ S soon. I was asking myself what Nokia apps I might miss or whether I should take the 820 (920 not available for O2 Germany). The answer is: not many. Music and City Lens maybe. Honestly, its just natural to want what the others got and Nokia DOES enhance the WP experience. But its not really essential.
    I'd advice you to not regret a decision you were happy with when you made it. I'll give up the Nokia apps and won't have sleepless nights (not because of that anyway).

The only reason for me to pick up a Nokia phone is because of its nostalgia :D. Just love to say to people that I have 'the good ol' Nokia' brand again!

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    When I decided to move to WP I gave a look to most devices. I ended up buying a Lumia920, since my old phone was getting useless cause of lag and the 8x wasn't yet available in my country. The 820 didn't worth the money (100€ less), since with the 920 I also had the free wireless charger (60-70€).
    Anyway I think I would have got the same also if the 8x and the AtivS were in the store, because I like that Nokia continues to updates their apps, increasing their numbers. Plus I liked their way to innovate, using a different design, a really good camera and the wireless charging. To me it always seems that Nokia has a "closer relationship" with Microsoft than other brands.
    I bought it without being able to see it, since it was impossible to find in any store. Like many I was worried about the weight and dimension, but really it doesn't weight kilograms!
    But if you don't mind apps I think the 8x is a great looking devices with top specs so there is not really a reason to switch. I think the only really good stuffs are the maps/drive and music. If you didn't care about those, probably you won't mind about a few games!

No, because none of the exclusive apps are worth doing that for.

I reckon when I come to upgrade in 18 months time, there probably wont be a current HTC Windows phone, as they don't seem to have any interest in the platform at all, but the exclusive apps so far aren't worth switching for.

Oh and nokia transport is awesome! I forgot to mention that. So far it has always been accurate. I can't say the same thing about bing nor google in my area! Basically, I think the initial suit of apps from nokia were an important factor for me in choosing nokia. The exclusive apps and games released once in a while are icing on the cake. I don't see an app that will make you downgrade from 8x to 822.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    The exclusive apps were among the main reasons I went with the Lumia. The HTC phones seemed pretty good, but with Nokia drive, city lens, music, smart shoot, etc. it was enough to lush me to the Lumia.

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    I loved the look of the 8x but the memory sucked, it was much more expensive, they don't care about the platform, they don't support the cool new features like wireless charging, and I have a bad history with HTCs breaking because I looked at them wrong. I loved the look but the HTC had too many shortcomings beyond just software so I went Nokia. I wont be going back any time soon.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Mos View Post
    Oh and nokia transport is awesome!
    depends on where you live. In my city in Germany its useless and there is a much better app for that.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    I wouldn't switch to Nokia because of the apps. They seem not really that great to me.

Maybe I would switch to Nokia because I like Nokia, but for that I'd need a high-end phone that doesn't look like a blown up N9 ;-)

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I think Nokia Music is fine:
    Nokia Music | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

And now they got Nokia Music+:
    More from your Music – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

But I would not change the phone only because of that.
    No, not me.
    I actually went with the cooler thinner design of the HTC 8x believing that the apps part of this will be just a matter of time when most of the WOW apps be available on every brand of WP 8 as long as the OS is identical on all devices.

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    Since I refuse to own anything through A$&$, not an option for me. Probably would have got the 920 if Tmobile had it, although I love the 8X

Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    the switch I made from sprint-htc to Verizon-nokia was influenced by nokia's commitment to windows phone and their apps.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner79 View Post
    Am I really missing out by having an 8x?
    Yes.

Are the exclusive apps eventually coming to all WP8 phones (I've heard rumors, but not 100% sure).
    Some will. They have different lengths of time for exclusivity, usually ranging from 3 months to a year or more. Anything with Nokia in the name though, you will never get, with the exception of Nokia Drive.

Are the exclusive apps really that big a deal to you and is anyone else considering switching to a Lumia?
    The exclusive apps are a big deal to me. Some of the Nokia branded ones are among the best apps you can get on Windows Phone and considering our app selection is a little limited, this is key. I've never had anything but a Nokia (as far as Windows Phones go) because I like their hardware better than anyone else's and because of the exclusive apps. I also feel great about supporting a manufacturer which is behind Windows Phone 100% instead of focusing 95% of their energy on Android and dabbling in Windows Phone. Nokia goes a step further than that too, by contributing a lot to Windows Phone. I don't think WP would be enjoying it's recent upsurge in popularity without Nokia.

I will definitely be staying with my 8x, I absolutely love it! As long as I still have Nokia Drive I will be all set. I am glad Nokia is doing great things with the Windows Phone so my hat's off to them.

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Nope not me. If Verizon offered the 920, I would have gone for that just for the awesome low light camera, other than that, not at all. I love my 8x and now that we have a great Windows 8 Navigation App from Nokia Drive+. I am happy with 8x, granted that I am having some problem with crackling noises from Beats Audio in my head phones
    -Verizon HTC 8x Blue
    I have a lumia 920, currently the 8x is the best windows phone. The lumia 920 has the exclusive apps store but really the only thing worth having is Nokia music. The Lumia 920 is a good phone but it has a overheating problem when using games and even Nokia drive. Currently the 8x is the best windows phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast