Facebook app being rebuilt from scratch...

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've heard and read rumours on some sites that the official Facebook app for WP is being rebuit from scratch...

Has anyone else heard anything like this or could shed some light on the subject?

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The only time I've heard this was with the iOS app and later with the Android app. Haven't heard a thing about a FB WP app being rebuild.

The other apps were being rebuilt because the app was in HTML5. They changed it to native code.

spampy2

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, we need a better native Facebook app and is why I have both the 920 and i5, or better yet just a notification center and timely notifications as they sometimes take hours to come across on my nokia where as my i5 are there within seconds. Its 2013 and communications should be in real time!

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Well Facebook helped BlackBerry develop a native app that is identical to the ones on iOS and Android. Microsoft is obviously way too cool to ask Facebook for an app(but still ok to beg them to litter FB with Bing). Or perhaps they're unaware that the default app is not good enough?

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Let's see and look what Nokia will do for WP. The more users will turn to WP, the more attention it'll get from Fb/Li/w.e.

Last edited by a moderator:

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Its quite shocking, god knows what the facebook team at Microsoft are doing. There is not a problem with how the app looks, i prefer this facebooks app and feel, it just needs all the basic features and some fine tuning. Its shocking to think there has been no new features added to the app since v2.5 which was released on 24th May 2012.

I have a strange feeling that WP7 customers may get a major update too as v2.7 and then 2.8 were the last versions on WP7 and v4.0 was released to WP8 so what happened to v3.0? maybe v3.0 for WP7 customers coming and a major update for WP8 customers shortly... i just hope for the sake of the platform.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Well Facebook helped BlackBerry develop a native app that is identical to the ones on iOS and Android. Microsoft is obviously way too cool to ask Facebook for an app(but still ok to beg them to litter FB with Bing). Or perhaps they're unaware that the default app is not good enough?

.... You know... sometimes it would be nice to check some facts before typing such "cool" postings...

Microsoft DID ask Facebook to bring FB on Windows Phone... Facebook didn't want it...so MS had to create their own version...

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
.... You know... sometimes it would be nice to check some facts before typing such "cool" postings...

Microsoft DID ask Facebook to bring FB on Windows Phone... Facebook didn't want it...so MS had to create their own version...
Right so what you're saying is that Microsoft, a company whose services are deeply integrated into FB asked them to make an app and FB refused? And yet FB made an app for BB10 which had ZERO users? Your post somehow tried to take the blame away from Microsoft but it just made it all the more embarrassing for them.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

Facebook helped bberry the same way they helped microsoft. Let them access a few other things in the API. Both products are built by companies other then Facebook. You will see a native Fbook app when the new facebook apps with built in graph search are released.

That said, I have a tile that is a shortcut to touch.facebook.com and have no issues

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Facebook helped bberry the same way they helped microsoft. Let them access a few other things in the API. Both products are built by companies other then Facebook. You will see a native Fbook app when the new facebook apps with built in graph search are released.

That said, I have a tile that is a shortcut to touch.facebook.com and have no issues
The Facebook app for BB10 was made through collaboration between Facebook and BB developers. It's identical to iOS/Android in looks and functionality.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The Facebook app for BB10 was made through collaboration between Facebook and BB developers. It's identical to iOS/Android in looks and functionality.

its all because BB10 is capable of running android apps with really minor changes. Windows phone is a whole different operating system so people are less willing as it requires complete rewriting

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

That is because it is basically a skin of touch.facebook.com which is what iOS and Android are too, just compiled in those OS's native language. The Windows phone facebook app (for better or worse) is built to look more like the rest of the phone, swipe right and left etc........The blackberry app is built by RIM (or bberry now).

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
That is because it is basically a skin of touch.facebook.com which is what iOS and Android are too, just compiled in those OS's native language. The Windows phone facebook app (for better or worse) is built to look more like the rest of the phone, swipe right and left etc........The blackberry app is built by RIM (or bberry now).

iOS and android versions are native actually. They used to be HTML5 but they have been native for a lot of months now to make them faster

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the BB10 facebook app an Android port? We would see plenty of kinda-working apps if Microsoft had a porting tool or runtime environment for them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky