Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. MaFalut's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #1  
    I've had my HTC 8x for a couple months now and noticed my data usage was much higher than when I had android, but I never really checked the Data Sense app since I receive text messages when I'm close to going over my limit. I saw that this month the usage was extremely high so I checked the app and I found this



    After seeing this I changed the Mail app to manual sync and to sync email only. But the question remains, why does it use so much data? I get maybe 10 emails a week. It's eating up my already small data plan.
  2. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    997 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    #2  
    Massive attachments? A constant state of syncing? What's your battery life like? That's pretty crazy in any event.

    I have yet to crack 500 mb a month, but when I'm either at work or home I switch to wifi.
    My next phone...
  3. MaFalut's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #3  
    Constant state of syncing perhaps (which is why I turned it to manual), but the emails I get are basically all newsletters.
  4. dainla's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    227 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MaFalut View Post
    Constant state of syncing perhaps (which is why I turned it to manual), but the emails I get are basically all newsletters.
    Weird. I have 4 gmail accounts, all pretty active. My usage is nothing close to that.
  5. Bilal_Fakih's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MaFalut View Post
    Constant state of syncing perhaps (which is why I turned it to manual), but the emails I get are basically all newsletters.
    Open google mail application > settings> sync settings > Download new content> do u have it every 15mins? if so thats why its loading ur gmail emails and is eating ur data usage
  6. gapost's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    773 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,859 Global Posts
    #6  
    That's crazy. I have a Google account and sync three Google calendars, Google Contacts and an email account with two emails. In the last 30 days, I have used 7mb on cellular and 15mb on wireless!! And my email syncs as mail arrives.
  7. Bilal_Fakih's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    That's crazy. I have a Google account and sync three Google calendars, Google Contacts and an email account with two emails. In the last 30 days, I have used 7mb on cellular and 15mb on wireless!! And my email syncs as mail arrives.
    No its not crazy, if it was Gmail, or outlook or any email, as long as your device has to connect to the internet to download your content"often" it will for sure eat lots of MB
  8. MaFalut's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #8  
    My data usage reset today and I have it set to manual update on emails, I'll see how that goes and update the thread if there is any progress.
  9. r4v
    r4v is offline
    r4v's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal_Fakih View Post
    No its not crazy, if it was Gmail, or outlook or any email, as long as your device has to connect to the internet to download your content"often" it will for sure eat lots of MB
    No, it wouldn't. It's only syncing changes, not everything every single time. I guess it has to be some bug in data sense or something's very wrong with email client.
    Thanked by:
  10. Vheissu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    111 Posts
    #10  
    My Google Apps account has only used like 2mb of cellular and 15mb on wifi, and I'm over halfway through my billing cycle. I wonder if you are having an issue like skype was having with it not being able to complete the sync. Have you tried to delete the account from the phone and then add it again.
  11. Bilal_Fakih's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by r4v View Post
    No, it wouldn't. It's only syncing changes, not everything every single time. I guess it has to be some bug in data sense or something's very wrong with email client.
    I did not say google will download all ur content everytime! I said google will download all your new contents at the time you set it! No im not sure if its a bug! People with this issue should try to make sync for 1 hr or more and check there usage and then after that we can talk about bugs! But the question is, how often do they get emails a day? Sync will always checks your gmail account for new content and then push the new emails or content to the user!
  12. MaFalut's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by r4v View Post
    No, it wouldn't. It's only syncing changes, not everything every single time. I guess it has to be some bug in data sense or something's very wrong with email client.
    It's not just data sense, the same data usage was apparent on my bill.
  13. MaFalut's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal_Fakih View Post
    I did not say google will download all ur content everytime! I said google will download all your new contents at the time you set it! No im not sure if its a bug! People with this issue should try to make sync for 1 hr or more and check there usage and then after that we can talk about bugs! But the question is, how often do they get emails a day? Sync will always checks your gmail account for new content and then push the new emails or content to the user!
    Maybe 3 emails a day. If that many.
  14. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    #14  
    I have my gmail account and my Hotmail account. Receive several emails on a daily basis. I have a 15gb 4G limit for the month. In addition to that, normal browsing, using apps that use data. I'm almost always never connected to Wifi and I haven't even reach 14GB yet, 5 days into the month.
  15. Bilal_Fakih's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    I have my gmail account and my Hotmail account. Receive several emails on a daily basis. I have a 15gb 4G limit for the month. In addition to that, normal browsing, using apps that use data. I'm almost always never connected to Wifi and I haven't even reach 14GB yet, 5 days into the month.
    Sounds good. can you tell me for both emails what is the download new content time? is it every 15mins or more?
  16. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal_Fakih View Post
    Sounds good. can you tell me for both emails what is the download new content time? is it every 15mins or more?
    For my work emails ( we use google apps for business) I have it set to download new content as items arrive. Because, well, it's work. And Download email from "anytime". Syncing email, contacts, calendar. the server is set to m.google.com

    Hotmail account I have it set to download new content every 30 minutes and download email from the last 7 days. Content to sync; Email.
  17. Bilal_Fakih's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    For my work emails ( we use google apps for business) I have it set to download new content as items arrive. Because, well, it's work. And Download email from "anytime". Syncing email, contacts, calendar. the server is set to m.google.com

    Hotmail account I have it set to download new content every 30 minutes and download email from the last 7 days. Content to sync; Email.

    I see, well thats good watch for the usage and see if increases with time! Not sure what application they used to see the statistics of total usage but if you have it installed can you show us a screen shot?

    I understand that your gmail is your work mail but if you sync every 15 mins doesnt this also effect your battery, im sure it does
  18. r4v
    r4v is offline
    r4v's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MaFalut View Post
    Maybe 3 emails a day. If that many.
    Ok, so let's assume that your provider counts for every 10kB (mine does). Every mail check is 20kB minimum (up and down, no matter if there is email or not, it will fit in this 20kB). Let's say it's 96 times a day (check every 15 minutes). So it will be about... 56MB/month. So you see... Either it's something with the mail client, or google's doing something weird on their side. Or provider counting data for 1MB minimum, perhaps it's Orange, which usually provides random usage data out of the a.., I don't know.
  19. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal_Fakih View Post
    I see, well thats good watch for the usage and see if increases with time! Not sure what application they used to see the statistics of total usage but if you have it installed can you show us a screen shot?
    I'm not privy to this app. I've had this package since I ha my lumia in December. I've never run out of data.
  20. jak464's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #20  
    Did you ever figure this out? I posted a similar thread a month ago. It just happened again, and I've made sure that my email is synced manual and it only downloads content from the last 7 days. This time, it literally ate up 700 MB in an hour. I'm connected to WiFi whenever available, and now I only have 300 MB to spare for the next 2 weeks.
  21. shariqq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    #21  
    So, this isn't unique just to me then. has anyone found a solution/cause?

    I had a similar *surge* of data usage by Gmail. 58MB of mobile data was used over night by Gmail even though:
    1) I was at home and connected on wifi
    2) I had received only 1 email, without any attachment.

    Over the past few weeks, I had experienced my weekly 100MB data-plan expiring suddenly in a matter-of-minutes on some random day. I started keeping a check on data-usage but couldn't determine what was causing it. So I installed Data Sense, which I checked last night, and my data usage showed 1MB for gmail (on wifi and on mobile data). Today morning, it was 8MB on wifi and... *58MB*l on Mobile Data even though I was on Wifi!

    Screenshot:
    wp_ss_20130919_0001.png

    This abuse by gmail and the ongoing issue Google has with WP8's Youtube app just makes me dislike Google that much more.

Similar Threads

  1. High Phantom Data Usage
    By Daniel Lewis in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 03:03 AM
  2. high data usage - cannot determine what is causing this
    By bcas400g in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 09:05 PM
  3. Any data usage app ?
    By GT2010PassportVersion in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-31-2012, 07:33 AM
  4. Netflix app data usage
    By mattpga in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 04:42 PM
  5. Is there a good app for tracking data usage?
    By jalb in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 09:57 AM

Posting Permissions