8 reason why wp7.8 is better than wp8- pocketnow

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes, this reminds me of when WP7 was first released. It was NOT an upgrade for my WM6.5 device and so I passed until WP7.5. Same goes here. It is unbelievable that the phone can't play a WAV file. Every Microsoft OS since the 80s could play WAV files, but not WP8?

One step up, two steps back. Adding a features and removing another one.
(not only) MS just needs to sell phones and the simplest way to do is create expectation around WP, promising features and features and features.
If WP8 was WM6.5 + WP7.8 + new tech, that strategy would be impossible, of course.

Just consider about Portico: 100000000000 issues and basic missing features and which feature does MS choose to add? Auto sms reply! LOL

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It's a cool marketing concept... when an OS gets tired, just take half the features out and re-release it. Then, in the quarters to follow, you can just re-enable them one by one, and everyone will be excited over the "new" features.

-E

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
It's a cool marketing concept... when an OS gets tired, just take half the features out and re-release it, **adding a totally new UI and giving support for cool but quite useless new technologies**. Then, in the quarters to follow, you can just re-enable them one by one, and everyone will be excited over the "new" features.
-E

It's perfect, now :)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'll be honest, there is not much different for day to day use. For example, using a tile to access facebook, email, twitter (with apps) all work the same(some little changes in email but, not much for every day use). Now you get the nice look and cusomization of having the 3 tile sizes, that was the biggest change.

if you have a device running 7.8 there is no major reason to upgrade to WP8 right now. Why ?

1. Zune sync is WAY better than the so called WIndows Phone app (it's a POS app right now)
2. FM radio support, Hardware is there on WP8 but, no software to use it
3. Day to day use is the same with 7.8 and 8 (live tiles)
4. besides nicer display, there are no games that really need a dual core CPU if any apps right now.

If you use your phone for email, facebook, twitter and phone calls, I dont see any MAJOR upgrade YET to going to a WP8 device over a 7.8 device. The 7.8 upgrade is nice, new tiles, Bing for wall paper plus a few other minor things.

Also (if you have the right phone) Wp 7.5/7.8 devices are hacked fully, so you can get access to a ton of cool apps that a factory phone wont have or even the apps appear in the marketplace. There are no unlocks besides Dev available for Windows Phone 8 yet (I really enjoyed this aspect of WP7).

I used the 7.8 update for at least 2 months(beta version then final)on my HTC Trophy before going to a HTC 8x Windows Phone 8 device and I honestly dont notice much in day to day use....

If your still on contract and ending soon, get 7.8 and wait till WP 8.5/9 devices hit, you'll thank yourself later....

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I'll be honest, there is not much different for day to day use. For example, using a tile to access facebook, email, twitter (with apps) all work the same(some little changes in email but, not much for every day use). Now you get the nice look and cusomization of having the 3 tile sizes, that was the biggest change.

if you have a device running 7.8 there is no major reason to upgrade to WP8 right now. Why ?

1. Zune sync is WAY better than the so called WIndows Phone app (it's a POS app right now)
2. FM radio support, Hardware is there on WP8 but, no software to use it
3. Day to day use is the same with 7.8 and 8 (live tiles)
4. besides nicer display, there are no games that really need a dual core CPU if any apps right now.

If you use your phone for email, facebook, twitter and phone calls, I dont see any MAJOR upgrade YET to going to a WP8 device over a 7.8 device. The 7.8 upgrade is nice, new tiles, Bing for wall paper plus a few other minor things.

Also (if you have the right phone) Wp 7.5/7.8 devices are hacked fully, so you can get access to a ton of cool apps that a factory phone wont have or even the apps appear in the marketplace. There are no unlocks besides Dev available for Windows Phone 8 yet (I really enjoyed this aspect of WP7).

I used the 7.8 update for at least 2 months(beta version then final)on my HTC Trophy before going to a HTC 8x Windows Phone 8 device and I honestly dont notice much in day to day use....

If your still on contract and ending soon, get 7.8 and wait till WP 8.5/9 devices hit, you'll thank yourself later....

Yup, this is exactly how i feel.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
For example? I'm talking about real features here, international accessible on every provider.
From what I can gather on a whim and Wikipedia:

Apollo:
Bluetooth file transfer
Hardware support - multi-core processors, HD resolutions, NFC, etc
IE10 - faster, more compliant, find on page, change interface button
Fast app resume
Native code support
Wallet
Kids Corner
Offline mapping
Bitlocker, Secure Boot, remote device management
Background VoIP, integration with People hub and dialer
Background GPS & navigation
In-app purchases
OTA firmware updates
Camera Lenses
Screenshots
Backup settings - list of apps, theme colour, IE favourites, accounts, SMS & MMS, call history, etc
Apps can modify lock screen background
Custom lock screen notifications
Voice commands for apps
Rooms
(Data Sense)

Portico:
SMS/MMS drafts
Edit forwarded messages
Text replies to calls
Selective deletion of IE history
Disable image loading in IE
Keep WiFi alive

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
And what of those is something that couldn't have been added to WP7 if they had developed it further instead of doing all over again? Also I can't see a killer feature there, that helps me right now.

Many of these features are minor, for example "Keep WiFi alive", "Screenshot" etc. Others are just buzz words, "Camera Lenses". Also "Fast app resume" was already in Windows Phone 7.5.

This is a personal opinion of course. But I still think it's not enough to say Windows Phone 8 is much greater than Windows Phone 7. It's just a copy with some minor features added, and also features lost.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
And what of those is something that couldn't have been added to WP7 if they had developed it further instead of doing all over again?
What does this question hope to achieve? Microsoft could have developed an iOS clone as an update to WP7 if it wished. It didn't. Period.

Also I can't see a killer feature there, that helps me right now.
Sure. So you're going to dismiss multiple huge moves that allow Windows Phone to compete with the best, because you want your FM radio back?

I'll trade my FM radio for background VoIP, background GPS, fast app resume, seven screens in the task switcher and native code, thank you very much.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I'll trade my FM radio for background VoIP, background GPS, fast app resume, seven screens in the task switcher and native code, thank you very much.

As I said, personal taste. I have never used FM radio, but also the only app I know using VoIP is Skype. An app people hoped would be integrated and offer more functions. I don't even dare using it as long as it is in beta, because the first version practically destroyed my phone when it was installed. Background GPS is nothing I use, but it's good to have for sure, I just don't see why this needed an NT kernel.

Now, native code is great, but the app quality honestly didn't improve that much yet.

Seven tasks switcher? It shows everything in there, except usually the app you used 5 minutes ago. There are what, 2 more in this list? Killer, that was the most important feature needed ;-) ...but they couldn't even give people the 'X'.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I just don't see why this needed an NT kernel.
How are you still missing the point? None of this needs an NT kernel, but keeping Windows Phone on the CE kernel for the sake of a few million users wouldn't be a positive. Now Microsoft has its mobile, tablet and desktop operating system on the same kernel, with many shared APIs. It's probably easier for them to move the platform forwards now, and porting between the WP8 and W8 is easier now. It's conceivable that it will require no effort in the future.

Now, native code is great, but the app quality honestly didn't improve that much yet.
Native code brings performance increases, it doesn't magically breed quality. Also, few apps have taken advantage of it. Just take a look at how Facebook has drastically improved on other platforms when it finally decided to go native. The 3D games we have look pretty trashy. You'll see the difference when Unity-powered games are launched.

ISeven tasks switcher? It shows everything in there, except usually the app you used 5 minutes ago.
What you're saying here makes little sense. Anyhow, increasing the limit was in fact highly requested. This stuff isn't as "subjective" as you make it out to be, just because you hold an atypical opinion does not mean that Microsoft is making the wrong moves. The X serves no purpose but to clear out that task switcher. Adding more tasks to it partially addresses that issue and allows for better multitasking.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
AngryNil, you just give me the feeling, you're talking about the future, when this thread is about the situation right now.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree that Microsoft made some very good decisions that were necessary for the future, but we just don't feel them yet. I think this is the case mostly because third party developers are not very interested in the platform. Most of the features added concern things that have to be implemented externally, and nobody cares to do so. Not even Microsoft, how long did it take them to add the most basic features - like deleting files - to their PDF app? How long did it take them to update the Skype app, an update that basically removed the part that was causing problems without really adding something new?

If we ever get apps that use native code to a extend we dream of now, that implement VoIP functions, then we can make a new thread with the title: "Why WP8 has become much better than WP7.8", but we are just not there yet.

What you're saying here makes little sense.

It makes sense to me, as WP8 puts even menus and basic apps - that offer no function if I go to them over 'app switching' like Messaging - in there. I only have to read a short message, sync my mails, take a call, look something up in the settings, and all apps that were open are gone. Again, personal taste, but I'd like to have some intelligent hierarchy in there.

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Most of those points are related to the Zune -> XBM fiasco. We just need to keep up the pressure on MS to reverse this, via the ever popular suggestion on uservoice:

Continue to use Zune for media sync in WP

The more we vote on uservoice.com, the less chance we have that a feature will be added in future upgrade :)
Take a look over separate ringtone/media volume or custom notifications sounds.. ten of thousand votes over the years and in Portico we got text replies to call. ROTFL

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification Chregu. While I still believe WP8 has feature-for-feature superiority over WP7.8, you are right in saying the core advantages I see will not be surfaced until the future. They are seeping out there - we now have decent Skype and decent navigation. But I think we are going to look back in a year and wonder how anyone used WP7.x. After all, it's happened before. WP7.0 had no task switcher and no instant resume. I waited until I could flash the Mango beta before I bought my Omnia 7, and promptly did so on the same day I opened it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3