Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Its a decent list and I agree on all of the

http://m.pocketnow.com/2013/02/04/wp7-8-better-than-wp8
    I pity tech bloggers who cannot get a perspective and write posts to match their quota of the week.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.

Agree with every point except the OEM customization

Global Posts
    3,515 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    It is food for thought. Just shows how much WP8 is a work in progress. I truly feel with all the choices out there, WP 8.1 will truly need to show maturity and a fix for some of these shortcomings.

By the way- #1 is my biggest regret. The intergration with the Zune player made for a nice hub to make things work and intergrate the device. Synching to the cloud just ain't the same.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,277 Global Posts
    A truthful list but I wouldn't call any of those deal breakers.

Syncing to the Cloud might be a very good option if Microsoft did implement it right - like how iTunes Match is implemented. When clicking on a song on iPhone, the song will be automatically downloaded from iTunes Match, well in Windows Phone when clicking on a song in Cloud Collection, it will start streaming the song - next time clicking it, streaming again (of course we can download it, but we cannot listen to the version being downloaded, we need to stream it at the same time). iPhone can create playlists very easy on the go, and have it syncs automatically to all the computers and iDevices. In windows phone you cannot edit any thing in the cloud collection, and the playlists that we take great pains to create will not be synced to the cloud collection. It's not the cloud that is bad, it's the stupid xbox music - it's a whole disaster, every aspect of it is a disaster.
    Yeah, but for all of those things (most of which are trivial), you can find multiple things that WP8 has over 7.8. For starters, we have HD displays available. We have NFC. We have wireless charging. We have multi-core processors. The coding options are allegedly more flexible as a whole, especially between Microsoft platforms (WP8/W8/WRT/XBLA). All of the MAJOR things are really in WP8's favor, unless you REALLY wanted the Zune desktop client, which I would have used only for syncing music (something that I have no issues with on W8 and its Windows Phone app).
    Must say I kinda agree with the article, specially Zune sync and the fm radio. I really miss my Zune!!!
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Thanked by:

Wow alot of good points, MS needs to fix these issues and fast. They've been very quiet lately I hope they come out with a bang at wmc.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    Yeah, but for all of those things (most of which are trivial), you can find multiple things that WP8 has over 7.8. For starters, we have HD displays available. We have NFC. We have wireless charging. We have multi-core processors. The coding options are allegedly more flexible as a whole, especially between Microsoft platforms (WP8/W8/WRT/XBLA). All of the MAJOR things are really in WP8's favor, unless you REALLY wanted the Zune desktop client, which I would have used only for syncing music (something that I have no issues with on W8 and its Windows Phone app).
    disagree. Xbox video is not a trivia feature, it's one of our already limited video experiences. Xbox music is not a trivia feature, why we cannot enjoy multimedia on our phones? HD is good, but NFC on WP is frankly quite useless, and Wireless charging has nothing to do with WP the OS.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Yeah, but for all of those things (most of which are trivial), you can find multiple things that WP8 has over 7.8.
    That should be normal.. 7.8 < 8!! The very annoying point is WP7.8 is still better then WP8 under some aspects.
    That confirms me that MS has start same WM path..
    We'll see some basic features (I mean those features that iOS, Android, etc. have *TODAY*) at least in WP11.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig1976 View Post
    That should be normal.. 7.8 < 8!! The very annoying point is WP7.8 is still better then WP8 under some aspects.
    We'll see some basic features (I mean those features that iOS, Android, etc. have *TODAY*) at least in WP11.
    if they cannot fix Xbox music before end of year, I will leave windows phone to get an iPhone.... I guess most people will not wait for wp11.

Wireless charging doesn't require WP8.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    if they cannot fix Xbox music before end of year, I will leave windows phone to get an iPhone.... I guess most people will not wait for wp11.
    Mee too, but few people gets information about a platform before buying.. Lumia x20 phones, are beautiful and WP has a great looking..
    So MS is betting on cyclic customers exchange: one leave WP platform, one comes in.
    No need to fast add basic features.. Au contraire: we'll see SMAAAAAALL steps forwards..

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    See it that way guy: If Microsoft continues like this, iOS and Android will be even more of a step up, when we renew our contracts ;-)

I really hope, they will start adding features now. I understand they had limited resources because they were copying WP7 to the NT kernel for the last two years, but now there should really something happen.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig1976 View Post
    nah... With that attitude you should be saying they won't come until WP999999999999 (if ever). I however am expecting them to arrive before then. I have plenty time to wait. I'm an Xbox user with zero interest in PlayStation. I also prefer ecosystems as a whole. So I'm sticking with WP as the iPhone feels stale to me. The WP interface, while almost universally hated by my friends, feels really nice and clean to me.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    pmhgeneral likes this.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    nah... With that attitude you should be saying they won't come until WP999999999999 (if ever). I however am expecting them to arrive before then.
    Indeed, probably we'll never see a lot of features we are daily discussing about, implemented in WP.
    For example: customizing reminder and sms tone is a 2 years old high requested feature. Same for different media/ringtones volume.

Almost 90% of what we are considering issues, is just a design choice. In WP12-13, you'll finally get what you had in WM6.5.
    At that point, MS we'll release another OS brand (with a lot less features then WP13) and the story will start again.

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    Yes, this reminds me of when WP7 was first released. It was NOT an upgrade for my WM6.5 device and so I passed until WP7.5. Same goes here. It is unbelievable that the phone can't play a WAV file. Every Microsoft OS since the 80s could play WAV files, but not WP8?

I'd disagree. Honestly if 7.8 had been out, I probably would've skipped out on the Lumia 920 and just stuck with my 900. The music and sync experience with WP8 has been bad enough for me to to be open to jumping platforms at the end of my contract (****, I've already had to go back to using iTunes now because of the desktop sync app)

interesting. Didn't know these till now. Yeah some issues in that list need to be fixed... doesn't seem hard to do, at all

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lippidp View Post
    Yes, this reminds me of when WP7 was first released. It was NOT an upgrade for my WM6.5 device and so I passed until WP7.5. Same goes here. It is unbelievable that the phone can't play a WAV file. Every Microsoft OS since the 80s could play WAV files, but not WP8?
    One step up, two steps back. Adding a features and removing another one.
    (not only) MS just needs to sell phones and the simplest way to do is create expectation around WP, promising features and features and features.
    If WP8 was WM6.5 + WP7.8 + new tech, that strategy would be impossible, of course.

Just consider about Portico: 100000000000 issues and basic missing features and which feature does MS choose to add? Auto sms reply! LOL

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Anyone want to trade their WP8 device for my Omnia 7 with WP7.8? It's better, trust me. I have eight reasons!
    Chregu likes this.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    Anyone want to trade their WP8 device for my Omnia 7 with WP7.8? It's better, trust me. I have eight reasons!
    The software is similar, the hardware specs are worse :)

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    The software is similar, the hardware specs are worse :)
    The software really isn't on par. WP8 users are taking many new features for granted.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    The software really isn't on par. WP8 users are taking many new features for granted.
    For example? I'm talking about real features here, international accessible on every provider.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast