Windows T9 keyboard os request

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed209harper

May 10, 2013
Visit site
The qwerty keyboards are fine if you have small girlish hands, but anyone else finds it a problem. Also, anyone who texts while walking (which is everybody) will find the qwerty keyboard too fiddly.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
The point is here that go into keyboard settings on your phone and you can download t9 keyboards in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean so why is that when the phone is not a Chinese device. Does not make sense to leave out the English t9 keyboard.

I would like the option at least to be there

Sent from my N101-FreakTab using Tapatalk HD

everyone is entitled to their opinion. I persoinally have no use for a T9 keyboard because I never liked it on my feature phones and I hated pressing the phone numbers rtepeatedly to type a word. Again thats just my opinion fo me. To state that youre giving up on windows phone because they domnt have that option is in my own opinion ridiculous!

iamstevie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
this app is great. it's not too bad if you type 1 message and then cut and paste. however, it's very annoying when you're chatting, like on whatsapp, and you have to type continuous amounts of messages. then cutting and pasting becomes annoying. it still beats the **** out of typing on a qwerty keyboard though.

The app is fanatastic, it's windows phone that's stupid for not having t9 as a standard keyboard option. that's the dumbest thing of all.

If WP ever gets the ability to run multiple apps alongside each other (a la W8), I could see how this app would be useful. For now, that looks a real pain in the buttocks!

Muzz8

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
The comments here are music to my ears. I was beginning to think I was the only one.
I have always had Nokia phones, specifically for the ease of use of their T9 keyboard.
Recently I've tried out Iphones, Samsung, HTC, SonyEric & all predictive text involves qwerty & word-scrolling.
My supplier upgraded me to a Nokia 520. I gave it 4 days & then sold it. Beautiful to look at but no FM Radio
(which I use a lot when I'm travelling & lazing around), only a 6mp camera & NO T9 KEYBOARD !!
My fingers were doing 2 or 3 letters at a time, so I had to keep deleting mistakes & then spend ages scrolling through the
list of suggested words. Ridiculous. Took me ages just to do one text.
Apparently qwerty keyboards are more popular, but T9 should be a standard option for millions of us that prefer it.
I can usually hold a phone in my right hand & knock out a long text real quick just using my thumb.
So, I've bought a new Nokia N8 off Ebay - surely the best SmartPhone there's ever been - & the camera is 12mp so
it's probably the best camera on any phone too!

Muzz8

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
i want T9 keyboard in my 520 :(
I've just said the same thing. Lol.
I ended up selling it & buying a Nokia N8 like I used to have.
It also has an FM Radio & a 12mp camera !
(Can't believe the 520 doesn't have a radio - even my basic Nokia from YEARS ago had one!)

markybean

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Lumia phones should have this feature. Symbian ^ 3 has a default QWERTY keyboard but you have the option to set in on T9/Alphanumeric keyboard

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The comments here are music to my ears. I was beginning to think I was the only one.
I have always had Nokia phones, specifically for the ease of use of their T9 keyboard.
Recently I've tried out Iphones, Samsung, HTC, SonyEric & all predictive text involves qwerty & word-scrolling.
My supplier upgraded me to a Nokia 520. I gave it 4 days & then sold it. Beautiful to look at but no FM Radio
(which I use a lot when I'm travelling & lazing around), only a 6mp camera & NO T9 KEYBOARD !!
My fingers were doing 2 or 3 letters at a time, so I had to keep deleting mistakes & then spend ages scrolling through the
list of suggested words. Ridiculous. Took me ages just to do one text.
Apparently qwerty keyboards are more popular, but T9 should be a standard option for millions of us that prefer it.
I can usually hold a phone in my right hand & knock out a long text real quick just using my thumb.
So, I've bought a new Nokia N8 off Ebay - surely the best SmartPhone there's ever been - & the camera is 12mp so
it's probably the best camera on any phone too!

I realise that your comment was made a while back but I have only just spotted it. Although I agree that the N8 has a great camera (I do still use mine from time to time) I wouldn't say that it's the best camera on a phone anymore. The 808 Pureview took that honour when it was released. And now the Lumia 1020 can put a claim for that honour, although some would argue that the 808 still has the better sensor therefore the better camera.
Back on topic though and I do agree that a T9 keyboard would be a good addition to the platform because it is so easy to use. Texting on a T9 can be a lot faster than on a QWERTY which I tend to make a lot of mistakes on and I am slowed down quite a bit by the next to useless word prediction on a UK English keyboard.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
this will probably never come to WP8 due to security/privacy reasons, unless MS decides to build one. Third party keyboard providers can easily record the keystrokes and send it off to anyone. Same reason why Apple does not allow this. I think that makes sense even though i liked the Swype/Thumb keyboard on Android, it's always a security concern to me.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been using QWERTY since my E3 and have no desire to go back to T9. Saying that I would prefer a Swype type keyboard as I find it more effective, for me at least. I can live without T9 however. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Maybe MS will provide different options in the future.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I think there should be that option too. I even created a thread for it in uservoice because I thought the original one was idiotic as the person who wrote it mentioned texting and driving... Smart of him/her... However I can't find mine -.-

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
You know, I never even knew you could install a 12-key keyboard til now. I've just added a few Chinese ones and it's a whole different world, though it took a bit of time to install them. I don't particularly miss t9 layouts but there is something about the way the predicitve engine worked in-line with the text which was super fast. I've just selected Chinese Simplified Handwriting and it allows you to do freeform text input! Who knew.

wp_ss_20130925_0002.png wp_ss_20130925_0001.png

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been using QWERTY since my E3 and have no desire to go back to T9. Saying that I would prefer a Swype type keyboard as I find it more effective, for me at least. I can live without T9 however. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Maybe MS will provide different options in the future.

magic word - Swype. Tbh it's the only thing I miss with my using android before

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
The option would be nice. I don't care myself. My HD2 has about every keyboard you could want like Swipe, qwerty, condensed qwerty (or whatever it's called), and alpha numeric. I still only used qwerty (Swipe for a little while too). The WP keyboard is easily the best out there along with the word prediction and spell check. So easy you only need to type partial words and it predicts the next word accurately for me.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The option would be nice. I don't care myself. My HD2 has about every keyboard you could want like Swipe, qwerty, condensed qwerty (or whatever it's called), and alpha numeric. I still only used qwerty (Swipe for a little while too). The WP keyboard is easily the best out there along with the word prediction and spell check. So easy you only need to type partial words and it predicts the next word accurately for me.

That may be true for US English but if you try and use the UK English keyboard then word prediction is an absolute joke. We may as well not bother with word prediction at all using the UK keyboard simply because it is useless.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

Nope, the T9 keyboard worked and served many countless people well for a very long time. Rather than try to bring in something new and funky, why don't they just give people what they want and are already used to. T9 keyboards with predictive text active is still the fastest way to type on a mobile phone, once you've got your head around it and know how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720