Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1.    #1  
    I don't have a x64 machine but do have a Dreamspark account. I think simple answer is 'No' but anyway to register phone and unlock for development without having to buy a new x64 device?
    No. You cannot run the development software without a 64 bit device. Come on dude, seriously, get with the times man. 64 bit has been around a long time. I started using 64 bit 8+ years ago (if I remember correctly).
    rockstarzzz likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    No. You cannot run the development software without a 64 bit device. Come on dude, seriously, get with the times man. 64 bit has been around a long time. I started using 64 bit 8+ years ago (if I remember correctly).
    I would love to invest in one, but since I've been building up my old PC with so much love, I hate it make further changes :(
    Wont this be limiting to an extent for student devs who are planning on trying to make their first app?

do i need window 8 operating system on my laptop to install the sdk?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnylai View Post
    do i need window 8 operating system on my laptop to install the sdk?
    I believe the SDK requires Windows 8. Could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    I would love to invest in one, but since I've been building up my old PC with so much love, I hate it make further changes :(
    Wont this be limiting to an extent for student devs who are planning on trying to make their first app?
    Students in this generation will have 64bit pcs. I don't know of many, if any at all, that are sold as 32 bit nowadays.

Global Posts
    3,110 Global Posts
    I believe the SDK requires Windows 8. Could be wrong.
    Yes, I can confirm this, It does need Windows 8 x64, no way around it.....I wish I could of installed it on Windows 7 x64. Dual booting with 7 and 8....

TO the OP, what type of CPU do you have ? Seriously, unless your runnnig a old p4 signle core processor, most modern (4-5 years now ?) have X64 support on them. And if your machine is that old, dude, get over it, time to move to a little more modern CPU/Computer (as if your running a old CPU, chances are you will have to change your montherboard too)

Students in this generation will have 64bit pcs. I don't know of many, if any at all, that are sold as 32 bit nowadays.
    As almost every PC that is sold now has a x64 OS on it and has been like that for a while...unless you have some odd ball smaller PC builder or by special request (for big compaies like Dell, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    I can't imagine so, no. I'm using a desktop I built back in 2007 and it's 64bit.
  9.    #9  
    Thank you guys! Mine is indeed a custom made Dell that was given by my company and then I upgraded it with bigger RAM etc when they decided to offer Macs to replace old PCs.

I take it once I have a Surface Pro, I can crack on with development/experimentations!
    To use the Simulator that uses Hyper-V, you will need a Core iX processor or similar that supports SLA virtualization options too.