Registering WP8 for DreamSpark/Dev account - no x64 machine

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a x64 machine but do have a Dreamspark account. I think simple answer is 'No' but anyway to register phone and unlock for development without having to buy a new x64 device?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
No. You cannot run the development software without a 64 bit device. Come on dude, seriously, get with the times man. 64 bit has been around a long time. I started using 64 bit 8+ years ago (if I remember correctly).

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
No. You cannot run the development software without a 64 bit device. Come on dude, seriously, get with the times man. 64 bit has been around a long time. I started using 64 bit 8+ years ago (if I remember correctly).

I would love to invest in one, but since I've been building up my old PC with so much love, I hate it make further changes :(
Wont this be limiting to an extent for student devs who are planning on trying to make their first app?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I would love to invest in one, but since I've been building up my old PC with so much love, I hate it make further changes :(
Wont this be limiting to an extent for student devs who are planning on trying to make their first app?

Students in this generation will have 64bit pcs. I don't know of many, if any at all, that are sold as 32 bit nowadays.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I believe the SDK requires Windows 8. Could be wrong.

Yes, I can confirm this, It does need Windows 8 x64, no way around it.....I wish I could of installed it on Windows 7 x64. Dual booting with 7 and 8....

TO the OP, what type of CPU do you have ? Seriously, unless your runnnig a old p4 signle core processor, most modern (4-5 years now ?) have X64 support on them. And if your machine is that old, dude, get over it, time to move to a little more modern CPU/Computer (as if your running a old CPU, chances are you will have to change your montherboard too)

Students in this generation will have 64bit pcs. I don't know of many, if any at all, that are sold as 32 bit nowadays.

As almost every PC that is sold now has a x64 OS on it and has been like that for a while...unless you have some odd ball smaller PC builder or by special request (for big compaies like Dell, etc)

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

I can't imagine so, no. I'm using a desktop I built back in 2007 and it's 64bit.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys! Mine is indeed a custom made Dell that was given by my company and then I upgraded it with bigger RAM etc when they decided to offer Macs to replace old PCs.

I take it once I have a Surface Pro, I can crack on with development/experimentations!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
To use the Simulator that uses Hyper-V, you will need a Core iX processor or similar that supports SLA virtualization options too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6