Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    I don't have a x64 machine but do have a Dreamspark account. I think simple answer is 'No' but anyway to register phone and unlock for development without having to buy a new x64 device?
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  2. #2  
    No. You cannot run the development software without a 64 bit device. Come on dude, seriously, get with the times man. 64 bit has been around a long time. I started using 64 bit 8+ years ago (if I remember correctly).
    Thanked by:
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    No. You cannot run the development software without a 64 bit device. Come on dude, seriously, get with the times man. 64 bit has been around a long time. I started using 64 bit 8+ years ago (if I remember correctly).
    I would love to invest in one, but since I've been building up my old PC with so much love, I hate it make further changes :(
    Wont this be limiting to an extent for student devs who are planning on trying to make their first app?
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  4. johnnylai's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    109 Posts
    #4  
    do i need window 8 operating system on my laptop to install the sdk?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnylai View Post
    do i need window 8 operating system on my laptop to install the sdk?
    I believe the SDK requires Windows 8. Could be wrong.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    I would love to invest in one, but since I've been building up my old PC with so much love, I hate it make further changes :(
    Wont this be limiting to an extent for student devs who are planning on trying to make their first app?
    Students in this generation will have 64bit pcs. I don't know of many, if any at all, that are sold as 32 bit nowadays.
  7. DavidinCT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,885 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,888 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    I believe the SDK requires Windows 8. Could be wrong.
    Yes, I can confirm this, It does need Windows 8 x64, no way around it.....I wish I could of installed it on Windows 7 x64. Dual booting with 7 and 8....


    TO the OP, what type of CPU do you have ? Seriously, unless your runnnig a old p4 signle core processor, most modern (4-5 years now ?) have X64 support on them. And if your machine is that old, dude, get over it, time to move to a little more modern CPU/Computer (as if your running a old CPU, chances are you will have to change your montherboard too)

    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    Students in this generation will have 64bit pcs. I don't know of many, if any at all, that are sold as 32 bit nowadays.
    As almost every PC that is sold now has a x64 OS on it and has been like that for a while...unless you have some odd ball smaller PC builder or by special request (for big compaies like Dell, etc)
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

  8. vedichymn's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    334 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    I would love to invest in one, but since I've been building up my old PC with so much love, I hate it make further changes :(
    Wont this be limiting to an extent for student devs who are planning on trying to make their first app?
    I can't imagine so, no. I'm using a desktop I built back in 2007 and it's 64bit.
  9.    #9  
    Thank you guys! Mine is indeed a custom made Dell that was given by my company and then I upgraded it with bigger RAM etc when they decided to offer Macs to replace old PCs.

    I take it once I have a Surface Pro, I can crack on with development/experimentations!
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  10. realwarder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,164 Posts
    #10  
    To use the Simulator that uses Hyper-V, you will need a Core iX processor or similar that supports SLA virtualization options too.

Similar Threads

  1. Dev Account for Small Group
    By Alex-Collins in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 07:22 PM
  2. WP8 for current devices
    By Dormage in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-27-2012, 01:38 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 06:30 PM
  4. Best way to make data intensive apps for newer devs
    By rexalbel in forum Developers Corner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 12:02 PM
  5. mango for non devs?
    By bear_lx in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 09:32 AM

Posting Permissions