Delete Playlists?

NikkVS

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How do I delete unwanted playlists from my phone? I have tried directly from the phone and that doesn't work. I have tried to delete them from windows explorer while connected to my laptop and that doesn't work. I have tried to delete them through windows media player and that doesn't work.

I have over 200 playlists on my computer and it seems as though the PC tries to sync all of them, despite the fact that all 35,000 songs will never fit on my Lumia 920. I only want to sync about 20 specific playlists and I can't figure out how to get the unwanted lists off.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't have anything to offer, yet, but I will look into this. I just started saving playlists on my phone. I'll mess around with it tomorrow to see if I can figure it out.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
What client are you using to sync the songs? Are those playlists also on Xbox Music's cloud collection? The playlists on Xbox cloud collection cannot be deleted from the phone.

StefZ

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Got the same issue, this whole music thing with the WP8 is so ****ty...

Used MusicBee and switched to WP App preview 3. Xbox cloud collection is off. Now I have lots of empty playlists, how to delete them?

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Got the same issue, this whole music thing with the WP8 is so ****ty...

Used MusicBee and switched to WP App preview 3. Xbox cloud collection is off. Now I have lots of empty playlists, how to delete them?

Remove them from your WP App Preview 3 or the Metro version or from the Explorer

SpenserT

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
How do you remove playlists from the WP App Preview 3? On the "PC" view there is a Playlist field but I can't alter or delete them. On the "Phone" view I am unable to view my playlists. Most of my playlists are just extraneous files that were in my music folders, not actually playlists, and I'd like to remove them. I tried deleting them using the phone, and they don't delete. I tried going into the file directory of my phone and deleting the contents of the hidden Playlists folder and that still didn't work. Any ideas?

EDIT: I now tried to delete the entire hidden playlists folder in my phone files and it said the storage is write-protected. Dunno how to remove write protection.

Last edited:

Jack Bender

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
After some experimenting, I was able to remove the ?0 songs? playlists from the phone, but I actually had to remove them from the xBox Music app on my PC and then they synched over to the phone. I do not subscribe to a music service, but rather purchase songs individually from Amazon, etc. and I had been using Zune in the past to sync my music with my Windows 7 phone.

For my Windows 8 phone, I was able to use Windows Media Player to sync playlists with songs over to my Windows 8 Phone and I now have valid playlists that play music. Yes Windows Media Player, which you can initiate by typing wmplayer in the run command window. After everything synched to the phone, I uninstalled the xBox Music app from my Windows 8 PC and I only run Windows Media Player.

If you previously had all your playlists in Zune, you do not have to totally rebuild them in Windows Media Player, just create a blank playlist in Windows Media Player and then using Notepad or another text editor program you can copy the .xml from the Zune playlist, which should be a .zpl file, to the newly created Windows Media Player playlist which is a .wpl file. Typically the Zune playlists reside in Music\Zune\Playlists and the Windows Media Player playlists reside in Music\Playlists. Also, you only need to copy from the <body> tag to the end.

When finished, it should look like the one below?

<?wpl version="1.0"?>
<smil>
<head>
<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Windows Media Player -- 12.0.7601.17514"/>
<meta name="ItemCount" content="2"/>
<title>Wedding Prelude</title>
</head>
<body>
<seq>
<media src="..\Bob Carlisle - Butterfly Kisses.mp3" serviceId="{AD783200-0100-11DB-89CA-0019B92A3933}" albumTitle="Simply Bob Carlisle" albumArtist="Bob Carlisle" trackTitle="Butterfly Kisses" trackArtist="Bob Carlisle" duration="340692"/>
<media src="..\Lonestar - Amazed.mp3" serviceId="{E7767D00-0100-11DB-89CA-0019B92A3933}" albumTitle="16 Biggest Hits" albumArtist="Lonestar" trackTitle="Amazed" trackArtist="Lonestar" duration="241088"/>
</seq>
</body>
</smil>

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
go to playlists, press hard on the name/title of the playlist you want to delete- option open- press delete.

This does not work. I've deleted them from the PC app, the Modern UI app, Windows Media Player and directly from the phone playlist folder.
Playlists are still in the Xbox Music playlists. When I hold to delete, the app crashes. Everytime. Every playlist I try. It's just COMPLETE SHlT!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers