Old Podcasts Won't Stop Trying to Download

anon(5356873)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a number of podcasts subscriptions setup in the native podcast app. I have them set to keep 3 podcasts at a time. However, when I'm done with the old podcasts, have marked them as played, have deleted them and still have 3 podcasts physically on the phone, WP8 will repeatedly try to download the old ones each time I'm on wifi. For example I've listened to podcasts 1-3, but still have 4-6 on my phone. I delete 1-3 in the native podcast app, but the phone continuously tries to re-download them. I'd rather not use a 3rd party app (it's bad enough we can't use Zune anymore, but that's for another post). I just waned to find out if anyone else has this issue and if so have they figured out how to fix it. Thanks for listening.

Lindsay

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Mine did the same thing. Couldn't figure it out. So, I just went with podcatcher and now I don't have to deal with it. 😊

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
It will always keep 3 podcasts - the best you can do is mark it as played. Like you discovered, if you delete one, it'll just download the next older one. I've always hated the way Windows Phone handled podcasts, and this is one reason. Nothing you can do about it unless you use a different podcast app, but then you run into other problems, like no scheduled auto download.

Panda858

Banned
Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Mine did the same thing. Couldn't figure it out. So, I just went with podcatcher and now I don't have to deal with it. ��

yeah sucks because now you can't schedule podcast downloads, I hate that the native app is so bad but Microsoft limits any 3rd party software

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
yeah sucks because now you can't schedule podcast downloads, I hate that the native app is so bad but Microsoft limits any 3rd party software

Podcatcher alerts you of new podcasts. All you have to do is press one button to download the ones you want. I am not sure what "scheduling" does for you.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Podcatcher alerts you of new podcasts. All you have to do is press one button to download the ones you want. I am not sure what "scheduling" does for you.

It automatically downloads the podcasts as soon as it checks for new ones. In most podcast apps you can set it up so it checks while you're sleeping, like at 3am or something, but the Xbox Music app checks seemingly whenever it wants, once a day. Usually for me its at like 7am pacific time it'll check.

Its a matter of convenience - you wake up in the morning and your podcasts are waiting for you already downloaded. Some people don't even check their phones until they're at work or something.

For some stupid reason, MS won't allow a 3rd party app to intiialize the WIFI and download a file without the users "authorization" each time. Its bullsh*t. Once the app is set up, I should be able to allow Podcasts Pro! or Podcatcher or whatever to download new podcasts at a certain time.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I understand. I guess its just depends on the individual then. I like to select the podcast I listen to and don't want the ones I have no interesting in hearing downloaded to my phone. That is why I wouldn't use the scheduling part of a podcast app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077