15 year old vs mom and the iphone 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I was in best buy today with one of my daughters and a friend of hers.so of course we go right to the phones and the girls start playing with...you guessed it a L920 while they played this mother was in as well with her teen daughter the mother was using up her upgrade to get her daughter an IPhone 5.. The mother asked my daughters friend are you buying that phone and the girl said no I have the other model the L810 that's when it happened.. Anna asked the mother are you buying a phone? proudly the mother replies I'm buying my daughter the iPhone 5 all smug like....Anna looked at her for a few seconds and said " I'm sorry" put her head down and continued to play with the L920 the Mom just stood there with catatonic look on her face,as for me I almost peed my jeans from laughing I had to walk away.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I was in best buy today with one of my daughters and a friend of hers.so of course we go right to the phones and the girls start playing with...you guessed it a L920 while they played this mother was in as well with her teen daughter the mother was using up her upgrade to get her daughter an IPhone 5.. The mother asked my daughters friend are you buying that phone and the girl said no I have the other model the L810 that's when it happened.. Anna asked the mother are you buying a phone? proudly the mother replies I'm buying my daughter the iPhone 5 all smug like....Anna looked at her for a few seconds and said " I'm sorry" put her head down and continued to play with the L920 the Mom just stood there with catatonic look on her face,as for me I almost peed my jeans from laughing I had to walk away.

I've encountered a few similar experiences. Don't know why some ppl think iPhone is some status of "Honor" or something. Like ur daughter, I'm perfectly happy with my wp and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
People underestimate just how big the mind share gap is with regular people. Yes, the Galaxy S brand is certainly gaining huge traction, but not with mothers. People get the impression that the big honking premium and the sheer popularity of the iPhone places it way ahead of the competition.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
About time kids started getting a different phone than their parents and grandparents.

You would never have caught me with something like that.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thing of it is this lady daughter kept looking at my kids and her friend not looking at them but looking at the L920...it's really funny because on the way home the girls were saying how hot Microsoft was in there school. where the phone to have is the L920...8x....I guess it's the live tile thing where the kids are putting the faces of boyfriends /girlfriends on the tiles and such. the parents keep getting them iPhones and the kids keep asking for WP..interesting thing is Microsoft becoming the new cool with the younger generation?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That is fun!!

WP is about a half of dozen built in capabilities and a few ecosystem improvements (looking at you, XBOX music and games) from being on the same level as the iPhone and maybe some minor hardware upgrades away (large screen limitations) and some form factor options away from removing the last gap between them and Android. It is great that your story shows that a new product is gaining traction.

This upgrade in the Spring/Summer and the support over the next couple years will truly spell out WP's future. People are finally giving MS it's due for taking a chance and reinventing themselves.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Is it possible, just maybe, that you imagined the part where the mom was being "smug"?

I hear this kind of crap all the time, yet in the real world I have NEVER seen a person who was "smug" about their iPhone. You can get an iPhone for $99 now and everyone has one. NO ONE THINKS THE IPHONE IS A STATUS SYMBOL ANYMORE. They haven't for a LONG TIME GUYS.

Whenever I hear a story like this, it's painfully obvious to me that the authors own sense of insecurity or blind hatred of the iPhone is coloring the narrative.

Get over it people. If you want to hate something, hate Android. Apple is not the one eating Windows Phone's lunch, it is ANDROID you should be worried about.

No one is smug about their damn iPhone. Let it go already. The Apple hate is so damn ridiculous.

the_icon12

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible, just maybe, that you imagined the part where the mom was being "smug"?

I hear this kind of crap all the time, yet in the real world I have NEVER seen a person who was "smug" about their iPhone. You can get an iPhone for $99 now and everyone has one. NO ONE THINKS THE IPHONE IS A STATUS SYMBOL ANYMORE. They haven't for a LONG TIME GUYS.

Whenever I hear a story like this, it's painfully obvious to me that the authors own sense of insecurity or blind hatred of the iPhone is coloring the narrative.

Get over it people. If you want to hate something, hate Android. Apple is not the one eating Windows Phone's lunch, it is ANDROID you should be worried about.

No one is smug about their damn iPhone. Let it go already. The Apple hate is so damn ridiculous.

you have aids.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's smugness alright, but these folks are the exception, not the rule. It's the same look you get when people proudly tell you they have a hybrid.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
People definitely buy the iPhone as a status symbol, as well as other Apple products.

90% of that is in your imagination.

The vast majority of people buy Apple products because they like them.

Anyone who does not buy a particular product because of an image the associate with it or whom judges people based on a cell phone they use is every bit as much of an ass as someone who buys a certain product because of the image they think it projects.

If you make baseless assumptions about people who use Apple products, then you are no better than a person who would buy such a product because it's an imaginary "status symbol" and I have news for you. 90-95% of the time all of that is playing out in your own head and the person holding the iPhone just has it because they like it, not because they think it's going to impress someone.

The Apple hating **** is just so tired. You guys need to find another schtick already. Get over the fact that you weren't popular in high school and stop transfering that resentment over to iPhone users who represent the "popular kids" in your mind. Get some therapy and some closure, m'kay pumpkin?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I could care less about apple and who buys them. Don't own any and don't plan on it. But if someone else wants to, have at it. But like it or not, there are those apple owners with attitudes out there. Notice I said those, not all. Friend of mine is an iphone owner, works at best buy, and he complains daily about the attitude of the iphone shoppers. Especially in the coffee houses around campus.

In all fairness, there are owners of all OS' that probably run around doing the superior dance. Just wish they didn't feel the need to cross forums just to stir things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3