Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 105
Like Tree115Likes
  1. #26  
    If i see one more moron tweet "i hate texting non iphone users, cant even use emojis! #teamiphone" i'll cry.
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
    Thanked by:
  2. sinime's Avatar

    Posts
    3,016 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,452 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    If i see one more moron tweet "i hate texting non iphone users, cant even use emojis! #teamiphone" i'll cry.
    WP8 and I think Android's latest OS bump can send and receive the emojis 😉
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
  3. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    If i see one more moron tweet "i hate texting non iphone users, cant even use emojis! #teamiphone" i'll cry.
    What kind of people are you following on Twitter?
  4. absonj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    97 Posts
    #29  
    Thats funny! And yes, it would have made for a great commercial. I love the intorduction by Joe B. when he describes the difference between iPhone, Android and Windows, "of course, after 5 years they have added one more row of icons" Ouch!

    Anyway, I have to agree that alot of iPhone users are 'supperior' to anything else. I work with an individual that constantly reminds me how 'impressive' her iPhone is, and has as much hate for whatever non-iPhone phone I am using as she does love for her phone. Her comment when I told her I am dumping my Android, she asked 'are you finally going to get a real phone', no, a windows phone, 'why wont you get the iPhone, just having it says your smarter than the average person!'

    She said that with a most serious look on her face. I kid you not.

    However, my wife has an iPhone, and doesn't think its that big of a deal. the only reason she got it is because she is familiar with the OS coming from an iTouch. But she admits she really really likes my new phone. First phone I have had she likes!

    So just like you can't blanket say people who get iPhones are all smug and 'holier than though', you can't blanket say that people who do get them only get them because they work. Theres both types of people.

    So if someone is constantly dealing with smugness, then its a safe bet for them to say 100% of the people who have them are smug, because thats all they deal with. I have to say 50/50 for me just because I have dealt with others. Saying 90% to 95% of people only buy it for its functionality is a little far fetched to me.

    My 2 cents.
    Nataku4ca, the_icon12 and LeLee092 like this.
  5. thecaringkind's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    #30  
    I am an avid 'hater' of Apple. I simply do not subscribe to the mind warping group think that is Apple fan boyishness. They make very nice devices that perform well and are aesthetically pleasing. That being said I LOVE the fact that there are plenty of other devices and products out there that allow tremendous customization, productivity & individuality that people can afford and that more than suits their needs. I like being different. I love WP8 and really enjoy my Lumia 920. Screw Apple. I'm hanging with the cool kids who love something refreshingly DIFFERENT.
  6. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7,509 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by thecaringkind View Post
    I like being different. I love WP8 and really enjoy my Lumia 920. Screw Apple. I'm hanging with the cool kids who love something refreshingly DIFFERENT.
    Good thing, if WP ever becomes successful you can switch to Ubuntu phone and be cool again ;-)
  7. #32  
    I am currently using an iPhone 4S and I admit I am an Apple hater (both the company, ther cult following and belief they made everything, and the company's unwillingness to try and innovate the iPhone somewhat...). I started with Android back in the day (early Android....like 2.1 Android), got fed up with lag and b.s. updating (or lack thereof), and inconsistent app experience that relied on developers to optimize their code for each specific device, and I switched to Windows Phone (as I refused to make the iphone my main device). I stuck with my Arrive, switched amongst various Windows Phones and carriers, and finally got to the Lumia 920 on Straight Talk. I finally ended switching to a 4s because the bugs I experienced, despite trying different 920's and 820's.

    I hate this thing to this day, especially having the same device as everyone and feeling like a clone, but unfortunately I no longer suffer from the bugs I had, and some of the apps that were promised from Microsoft (Gameloft games for example) already exist on iOS (Siri is awesome too.....you can call it a gimmick all you want, but it actually dictates me well without having to yell or get the phone so close that I'm kissing it, with a bonus of supporting a natural conversation). For some people, they really do have to go with what simply works for them (especially while being a father of 3). I still have that pre-judge mental factor when I see someone with an Appple device, and usually categorize them as a ****** automatically (or someone just trying to fit in), but as someone who really just wants a Windows Phone and uses an Apple product, I can say from personal experience of being "that guy" who stood out for having a Windows Phone and suddenly switching to the iPhone, you really do notice how people act different around you when you "get a real device". There are people I know that are Apple-only users, and a lot of times they say they have it because "it simply works well and does what I need it to do", while giving the implication that my Windows Phone couldn't do what they wanted; 95% of the time, the Windows Phones did everything they needed to do. Lots of people use the "it simply works" as a recycled reason to simply stick with what they because they also want to have a "cool" product, but having a "cool" product isn't a good enough argument to use against something else with nearly equal functionality that could prove them wrong.
    Last edited by jrdatrackstar1223; 02-07-2013 at 03:27 PM.
  8. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    wp8 and i think android's latest os bump can send and receive the emojis 
    and gmail and wp7 and win7 and win8.
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
  9. Residing's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Is it possible, just maybe, that you imagined the part where the mom was being "smug"?

    I hear this kind of crap all the time, yet in the real world I have NEVER seen a person who was "smug" about their iPhone. You can get an iPhone for $99 now and everyone has one. NO ONE THINKS THE IPHONE IS A STATUS SYMBOL ANYMORE. They haven't for a LONG TIME GUYS.

    Whenever I hear a story like this, it's painfully obvious to me that the authors own sense of insecurity or blind hatred of the iPhone is coloring the narrative.

    Get over it people. If you want to hate something, hate Android. Apple is not the one eating Windows Phone's lunch, it is ANDROID you should be worried about.

    No one is smug about their damn iPhone. Let it go already. The Apple hate is so damn ridiculous.
    I occasionally visit MacRumors - still some very smug iPhone/Apple users in the world.
  10. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    429 Posts
    #35  
    hello there, guys, well, im probably a little late, but just thought id throw some examples of how both exists... (as in ppl that buy apple stuff because they like it and people buy it for status...)

    my father in-law, bought iphone mid last year because of "steve jobs", my wife got an iphone because her co-worker had it and were being a bunch of ****** (well ****** part is from my perspective) my friend, at least a few of them, when i talk to them about phones they do this "well i have an iphone" crap... me and my android buddy just rolled our eyes

    im not saying they make up the majority, but they are out there (good thing is my wife's perspective is changing) of course, wouldn't be right if i don't put out an example of people that bought it because they like it, my other friend's wife love apple and actually knows the products when i talk to her, so ya, there you have it there are all kinds of people out there folks, don't be trapped thinking there is only one type
  11. willied's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    90% of that is in your imagination.

    The vast majority of people buy Apple products because they like them.

    Anyone who does not buy a particular product because of an image the associate with it or whom judges people based on a cell phone they use is every bit as much of an *** as someone who buys a certain product because of the image they think it projects.

    If you make baseless assumptions about people who use Apple products, then you are no better than a person who would buy such a product because it's an imaginary "status symbol" and I have news for you. 90-95% of the time all of that is playing out in your own head and the person holding the iPhone just has it because they like it, not because they think it's going to impress someone.

    The Apple hating **** is just so tired. You guys need to find another schtick already. Get over the fact that you weren't popular in high school and stop transfering that resentment over to iPhone users who represent the "popular kids" in your mind. Get some therapy and some closure, m'kay pumpkin?
    You are insane. 90% of what you said is your imagination. See, I can say dumb blanket statements as well.

    I'm not saying the iPhone is a bad phone, nor am I saying that everyone buys it as a status symbol. But plenty of people do buy it because it is a status symbol. If you can't see that then you are blind.

    And you're just being hypocritical by saying someone wasn't popular when you don't even know them.
  12. WinFan1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    #37  
    You must be on crack if you don't think iPhone users are smug. I've had multiple encounters where people wouldn't even consider the Lumia 900 because it wasn't an iPhone. Come on now I'm all for being realistic but lets not sugar coat stuff. Ok not all lemme rephrase but there are some real smug assholes with iPhones.

    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”- Plato

  13. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    997 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    #38  
    My distaste comes from the fact I always thought Jobs was a world class asshat who would rather destroy competition rather than license apple technology. Secondly, take a look at our sister site's forum and you'll be hard pressed to find a thread without some snide comment to an outsider. Lastly, their ads proudly announce tech that has been around for years and claim it as their own. (the revolutionary noise cancelling mics iPhones have)
    My next phone...
  14. sinime's Avatar

    Posts
    3,016 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,452 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by WinFan1 View Post
    You must be on crack if you don't think iPhone users are smug. I've had multiple encounters where people wouldn't even consider the Lumia 900 because it wasn't an iPhone. Come on now I'm all for being realistic but lets not sugar coat stuff. Ok not all lemme rephrase but there are some real smug assholes with iPhones.

    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
    Yup, I know a few of them 😁
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
    Thanked by:
  15. jabtano's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    572 Posts
       #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Is it possible, just maybe, that you imagined the part where the mom was being "smug"?

    I hear this kind of crap all the time, yet in the real world I have NEVER seen a person who was "smug" about their iPhone. You can get an iPhone for $99 now and everyone has one. NO ONE THINKS THE IPHONE IS A STATUS SYMBOL ANYMORE. They haven't for a LONG TIME GUYS.

    Whenever I hear a story like this, it's painfully obvious to me that the authors own sense of insecurity or blind hatred of the iPhone is coloring the narrative.

    Get over it people. If you want to hate something, hate Android. Apple is not the one eating Windows Phone's lunch, it is ANDROID you should be worried about.

    No one is smug about their damn iPhone. Let it go already. The Apple hate is so damn ridiculous.
    First off yes it did actually happen and she was smug. Wrong I don't hate apple I love apple I love them because I have shares in them that had been bought rather cheaply. There is a mackbook pro sitting on my desk along side another laptop and this rig. both are window base machines. The point of it wasn't the smugness of the mother but rather, teenagers excited about WP8 and another's surprise at it. Times changes and products change what on top one day isn't the next. the real point is this WP8 is starting to get noticed in a very big way...
    Blu3V3nom07 likes this.
  16. RJ G's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    20 Posts
    #41  
    insecure thread, i buy sony tv's because i like how they look compared to other brands, i like how apple computers look but buy PC and windows products because i find them more useful, same reason i buy the iphone over other devices, it simply has more things to offer for me rightnow. I dont belong to any team, gang, company, i dont hate any brand as i dont work or represent any, i just use whatever i like and makes my life easier. Hating everything apple makes makes people look as childish as any apple ''fanboy''. I also wouldnt really care what is cool for teenagers now of days, im a grown man that can buy my own stuff, taking pride on owning something just because teenagers like it now of days is kinda sad.
    Last edited by RJ G; 02-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.
  17. chadwick611's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #42  
    You sir, have a awesome daughter.
  18. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #43  
    Well said, RJ!
    Thanked by:
    RJ G 
  19. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by WinFan1 View Post
    You must be on crack if you don't think iPhone users are smug. I've had multiple encounters where people wouldn't even consider the Lumia 900 because it wasn't an iPhone. Come on now I'm all for being realistic but lets not sugar coat stuff. Ok not all lemme rephrase but there are some real smug assholes with iPhones.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
    There are smug people who own all types of phones. Can we please stop pretending that phenomenon is exclusive to iPhone users? Personally my experience is that the Android nut huggers I know are 1000 times more condescending about any non-Android device than any Apple fan I have seen in a long time. When the iPhone was new I saw more... But the point is who cares? Its a phone. Both sides need to get over it. The people with chips on their shoulders and the allegedly smug.
    Thanked by:
  20. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRodriguezNY View Post
    People buy Apple because of the brand name.You can take any crap around and put an Apple logo and tell some people that is the new Apple whatever and they buy it with blind eyes.I've been on the train with my tablet and people have told their kids when they asked, that's an Ipad.They just think everything is Apple. Apple consumers are so blind they don't look around to see what's new or better. And yes there still people around that buy Apple products because they think is a sign of status and they brag about it. Remember the main post is about kids and kids like to brag. Even adults like to brag. I fix computers on the side and I don't deal with Apple computers and when people ask why and tell me Apple is the best I just tell them to go to the Apple store to get support where they bought the product.Since they are the best they could fix it better($$$$$$$).
    Some people probably do. You will find people who are brand loyal to a fault with any product. Apple makes good products. You don't earn brand loyalty like that by building crap. Does Apple have clever trendy marketing? Absolutely. But to dismiss EVERYONE who buys an Apple product as an ignorant victim of marketing who could have bought a $389 Dell that's "just as good" is asinine. Apple's stuff is expensive and its not always best in class in terms of specs alone, that's why I don't buy Apple everything myself. But you do get more than an Apple logo when you buy their products. Some people, myself included, prefer Mac OS X to Windows. Others like the hardware. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to buy Apple's stuff. Another is being able to go to an Apple store and get top notch service instead of going to Geek Squad to get ripped off or to some random freelance guy like you with unverifiable credentials and no accountability.

    Maybe we should try not to get so upset about the purchase decisions other people make or make assumptions about them.

    I own an Apple MacBook Air, a Lenovo Think pad, an Asus Android tablet and a Nokia Windows phone. I chose them all for different reasons and I don't think I'm better than anyone else because of any of them and I don't know anyone else who feels that way about their electronics either.

    The bottom line is hating a brand and labeling all the people who use it as smug trendwhores makes you just as much of an *** as the people you're complaining about. The truth is most people, Apple consumers included, just buy what they like and don't give it much thought beyond that.

    Most Apple customers are normal people, not elitist hipsters, just like most PC customers are normal people, not socially maladjusted nerds like the swingline stapler guy in Office Space.

    Let it go. High school is over.
    aubreyq likes this.
  21. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    I hate Apple as a company, maybe hates too strong a word. How about a fervent dislike of anything Apple (dont even like the fruit - although thats for different reasons)
    Its not entirely about the products they produce as ive owned an iphone 2, ipod touch and an ipad and they were all good at what they did. Its the inherent bullsh*t thats synonymous with the Apple brand, the obsessive skuemorphism that pervades everything they did and still do. The tax dodging, the inflated markups an all products, the self cannibalism in the range of devices they produce, the almost cult like following (go back 3 years and you cant argue with it), horror stories from manufacturing plants. I could go on but hopefully you get my point.
    No, I don't get your point. Buy what you like. Everything else is made in the same kinds of Chinese factories that Apples stuff is. Do you think your Windows Phone or PC was made by an American union worker making $80,000 a year with 6 weeks of paid vacation a year? Do you think Dell doesn't dodge taxes like every other big corporation. If you're going to buy your electronics based on moral grounds, well good luck finding a fair trade, organic, free range nonprofit computer and phone manufacturer. Let us know when you do.
  22. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,382 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    I hear this kind of crap all the time, yet in the real world I have NEVER seen a person who was "smug" about their iPhone. You can get an iPhone for $99 now and everyone has one. NO ONE THINKS THE IPHONE IS A STATUS SYMBOL ANYMORE. They haven't for a LONG TIME GUYS.
    Pitches personal anecdote as the holy grail, and uses it as justification to toss around ad hominems. Good one.
  23. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Let it go. High school is over.
    Not all on this thread are young adults or adults...
  24. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by thecaringkind View Post
    I am an avid 'hater' of Apple. I simply do not subscribe to the mind warping group think that is Apple fan boyishness. They make very nice devices that perform well and are aesthetically pleasing. That being said I LOVE the fact that there are plenty of other devices and products out there that allow tremendous customization, productivity & individuality that people can afford and that more than suits their needs. I like being different. I love WP8 and really enjoy my Lumia 920. Screw Apple. I'm hanging with the cool kids who love something refreshingly DIFFERENT.
    Funny how using a Microsoft product is now the refreshingly different option.

    My Lumia 920 and my MacBook Air are both great. I get a lot of enjoyment out of them.
    jabtano likes this.
  25. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    Pitches personal anecdote as the holy grail, and uses it as justification to toss around ad hominems. Good one.
    Its a personal anecdote that you can get an iPhone for $99 now and they are neither special nor exclusive?
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can't decide between this and the iPhone 5...
    By Vgameman2012 in forum Phone Wars
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 08:00 PM
  2. Best apps and games for a 12 year old?
    By jalb in forum Windows Phone Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2012, 03:13 AM
  3. Replies: 238
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 05:17 PM

Posting Permissions