15 year old vs mom and the iphone 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexRodriguezNY

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
90% of that is in your imagination.

The vast majority of people buy Apple products because they like them.

Anyone who does not buy a particular product because of an image the associate with it or whom judges people based on a cell phone they use is every bit as much of an ass as someone who buys a certain product because of the image they think it projects.

If you make baseless assumptions about people who use Apple products, then you are no better than a person who would buy such a product because it's an imaginary "status symbol" and I have news for you. 90-95% of the time all of that is playing out in your own head and the person holding the iPhone just has it because they like it, not because they think it's going to impress someone.

The Apple hating **** is just so tired. You guys need to find another schtick already. Get over the fact that you weren't popular in high school and stop transfering that resentment over to iPhone users who represent the "popular kids" in your mind. Get some therapy and some closure, m'kay pumpkin?
People buy Apple because of the brand name.You can take any crap around and put an Apple logo and tell some people that is the new Apple whatever and they buy it with blind eyes.I've been on the train with my tablet and people have told their kids when they asked, that's an Ipad.They just think everything is Apple. Apple consumers are so blind they don't look around to see what's new or better. And yes there still people around that buy Apple products because they think is a sign of status and they brag about it. Remember the main post is about kids and kids like to brag. Even adults like to brag. I fix computers on the side and I don't deal with Apple computers and when people ask why and tell me Apple is the best I just tell them to go to the Apple store to get support where they bought the product.Since they are the best they could fix it better($$$$$$$).

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The Apple hating **** is just so tired. You guys need to find another schtick already. Get over the fact that you weren't popular in high school and stop transfering that resentment over to iPhone users who represent the "popular kids" in your mind. Get some therapy and some closure, m'kay pumpkin?

I hate Apple as a company, maybe hates too strong a word. How about a fervent dislike of anything Apple (dont even like the fruit - although thats for different reasons)
Its not entirely about the products they produce as ive owned an iphone 2, ipod touch and an ipad and they were all good at what they did. Its the inherent bullsh*t thats synonymous with the Apple brand, the obsessive skuemorphism that pervades everything they did and still do. The tax dodging, the inflated markups an all products, the self cannibalism in the range of devices they produce, the almost cult like following (go back 3 years and you cant argue with it), horror stories from manufacturing plants. I could go on but hopefully you get my point.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
People DO think of Apple products as status symbols! People are VERY smug about it! It is so obvious where I am from! They think they are better than everybody else!

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I will say that yes, Apple does seem to attract the "douche" type of personality which is probably a result from their marketing strategy, however I find that there are as many nice, good-natured people owning Apple products as there are douchebags. IMO this whole thing started with the "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads where they essentially sh*t all over Windows and Microsoft just stood there and took it instead of defending their brand.

I doubt most people see themselves as "cool" for owning an Apple product anymore because lots of people have them. My son is about to get his first smartphone and let me tell you: he is not interested in the iPhone even though my wife and I have one.

Last edited:

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Thats funny! And yes, it would have made for a great commercial. I love the intorduction by Joe B. when he describes the difference between iPhone, Android and Windows, "of course, after 5 years they have added one more row of icons" Ouch!

Anyway, I have to agree that alot of iPhone users are 'supperior' to anything else. I work with an individual that constantly reminds me how 'impressive' her iPhone is, and has as much hate for whatever non-iPhone phone I am using as she does love for her phone. Her comment when I told her I am dumping my Android, she asked 'are you finally going to get a real phone', no, a windows phone, 'why wont you get the iPhone, just having it says your smarter than the average person!'

She said that with a most serious look on her face. I kid you not.

However, my wife has an iPhone, and doesn't think its that big of a deal. the only reason she got it is because she is familiar with the OS coming from an iTouch. But she admits she really really likes my new phone. First phone I have had she likes!

So just like you can't blanket say people who get iPhones are all smug and 'holier than though', you can't blanket say that people who do get them only get them because they work. Theres both types of people.

So if someone is constantly dealing with smugness, then its a safe bet for them to say 100% of the people who have them are smug, because thats all they deal with. I have to say 50/50 for me just because I have dealt with others. Saying 90% to 95% of people only buy it for its functionality is a little far fetched to me.

My 2 cents.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I am an avid 'hater' of Apple. I simply do not subscribe to the mind warping group think that is Apple fan boyishness. They make very nice devices that perform well and are aesthetically pleasing. That being said I LOVE the fact that there are plenty of other devices and products out there that allow tremendous customization, productivity & individuality that people can afford and that more than suits their needs. I like being different. I love WP8 and really enjoy my Lumia 920. Screw Apple. I'm hanging with the cool kids who love something refreshingly DIFFERENT.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I am currently using an iPhone 4S and I admit I am an Apple hater (both the company, ther cult following and belief they made everything, and the company's unwillingness to try and innovate the iPhone somewhat...). I started with Android back in the day (early Android....like 2.1 Android), got fed up with lag and b.s. updating (or lack thereof), and inconsistent app experience that relied on developers to optimize their code for each specific device, and I switched to Windows Phone (as I refused to make the iphone my main device). I stuck with my Arrive, switched amongst various Windows Phones and carriers, and finally got to the Lumia 920 on Straight Talk. I finally ended switching to a 4s because the bugs I experienced, despite trying different 920's and 820's.

I hate this thing to this day, especially having the same device as everyone and feeling like a clone, but unfortunately I no longer suffer from the bugs I had, and some of the apps that were promised from Microsoft (Gameloft games for example) already exist on iOS (Siri is awesome too.....you can call it a gimmick all you want, but it actually dictates me well without having to yell or get the phone so close that I'm kissing it, with a bonus of supporting a natural conversation). For some people, they really do have to go with what simply works for them (especially while being a father of 3). I still have that pre-judge mental factor when I see someone with an Appple device, and usually categorize them as a douche automatically (or someone just trying to fit in), but as someone who really just wants a Windows Phone and uses an Apple product, I can say from personal experience of being "that guy" who stood out for having a Windows Phone and suddenly switching to the iPhone, you really do notice how people act different around you when you "get a real device". There are people I know that are Apple-only users, and a lot of times they say they have it because "it simply works well and does what I need it to do", while giving the implication that my Windows Phone couldn't do what they wanted; 95% of the time, the Windows Phones did everything they needed to do. Lots of people use the "it simply works" as a recycled reason to simply stick with what they because they also want to have a "cool" product, but having a "cool" product isn't a good enough argument to use against something else with nearly equal functionality that could prove them wrong.

Last edited:

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible, just maybe, that you imagined the part where the mom was being "smug"?

I hear this kind of crap all the time, yet in the real world I have NEVER seen a person who was "smug" about their iPhone. You can get an iPhone for $99 now and everyone has one. NO ONE THINKS THE IPHONE IS A STATUS SYMBOL ANYMORE. They haven't for a LONG TIME GUYS.

Whenever I hear a story like this, it's painfully obvious to me that the authors own sense of insecurity or blind hatred of the iPhone is coloring the narrative.

Get over it people. If you want to hate something, hate Android. Apple is not the one eating Windows Phone's lunch, it is ANDROID you should be worried about.

No one is smug about their damn iPhone. Let it go already. The Apple hate is so damn ridiculous.

I occasionally visit MacRumors - still some very smug iPhone/Apple users in the world.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
hello there, guys, well, im probably a little late, but just thought id throw some examples of how both exists... (as in ppl that buy apple stuff because they like it and people buy it for status...)

my father in-law, bought iphone mid last year because of "steve jobs", my wife got an iphone because her co-worker had it and were being a bunch of douche (well douche part is from my perspective) my friend, at least a few of them, when i talk to them about phones they do this "well i have an iphone" crap... me and my android buddy just rolled our eyes

im not saying they make up the majority, but they are out there (good thing is my wife's perspective is changing) of course, wouldn't be right if i don't put out an example of people that bought it because they like it, my other friend's wife love apple and actually knows the products when i talk to her, so ya, there you have it there are all kinds of people out there folks, don't be trapped thinking there is only one type

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
90% of that is in your imagination.

The vast majority of people buy Apple products because they like them.

Anyone who does not buy a particular product because of an image the associate with it or whom judges people based on a cell phone they use is every bit as much of an ass as someone who buys a certain product because of the image they think it projects.

If you make baseless assumptions about people who use Apple products, then you are no better than a person who would buy such a product because it's an imaginary "status symbol" and I have news for you. 90-95% of the time all of that is playing out in your own head and the person holding the iPhone just has it because they like it, not because they think it's going to impress someone.

You are insane. 90% of what you said is your imagination. See, I can say dumb blanket statements as well.

I'm not saying the iPhone is a bad phone, nor am I saying that everyone buys it as a status symbol. But plenty of people do buy it because it is a status symbol. If you can't see that then you are blind.

And you're just being hypocritical by saying someone wasn't popular when you don't even know them.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
You must be on crack if you don't think iPhone users are smug. I've had multiple encounters where people wouldn't even consider the Lumia 900 because it wasn't an iPhone. Come on now I'm all for being realistic but lets not sugar coat stuff. Ok not all lemme rephrase but there are some real smug assholes with iPhones.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
My distaste comes from the fact I always thought Jobs was a world class ****** who would rather destroy competition rather than license apple technology. Secondly, take a look at our sister site's forum and you'll be hard pressed to find a thread without some snide comment to an outsider. Lastly, their ads proudly announce tech that has been around for years and claim it as their own. (the revolutionary noise cancelling mics iPhones have)

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
You must be on crack if you don't think iPhone users are smug. I've had multiple encounters where people wouldn't even consider the Lumia 900 because it wasn't an iPhone. Come on now I'm all for being realistic but lets not sugar coat stuff. Ok not all lemme rephrase but there are some real smug assholes with iPhones.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Yup, I know a few of them 😁

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible, just maybe, that you imagined the part where the mom was being "smug"?

I hear this kind of crap all the time, yet in the real world I have NEVER seen a person who was "smug" about their iPhone. You can get an iPhone for $99 now and everyone has one. NO ONE THINKS THE IPHONE IS A STATUS SYMBOL ANYMORE. They haven't for a LONG TIME GUYS.

Whenever I hear a story like this, it's painfully obvious to me that the authors own sense of insecurity or blind hatred of the iPhone is coloring the narrative.

Get over it people. If you want to hate something, hate Android. Apple is not the one eating Windows Phone's lunch, it is ANDROID you should be worried about.

No one is smug about their damn iPhone. Let it go already. The Apple hate is so damn ridiculous.

First off yes it did actually happen and she was smug. Wrong I don't hate apple I love apple I love them because I have shares in them that had been bought rather cheaply. There is a mackbook pro sitting on my desk along side another laptop and this rig. both are window base machines. The point of it wasn't the smugness of the mother but rather, teenagers excited about WP8 and another's surprise at it. Times changes and products change what on top one day isn't the next. the real point is this WP8 is starting to get noticed in a very big way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills