15 year old vs mom and the iphone 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I have a friend, one of my best friends, but he is VERY smug about his iPhone, and it's not imagined. Recently it's become very difficult to talk to him because if I pull out my phone just to check a text the first thing out of his mouth is "Oh, ha, look at that crappy phone, you should get an iPhone, they're so much better." I used to argue with him, but I've just stopped caring and started trying to avoid him because he never lets it go, and he's not the first iPhone user I've met like this, he's just the most recent one of many. iPhone is definitely still a status symbol, just a very common one.
Your "friend" sounds like a douche. One thing is playful trash-talking (if such a thing exists) but if he never lets go betlittling your phone, maybe he's not one to hang out with, you know?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Your "friend" sounds like a douche. One thing is playful trash-talking (if such a thing exists) but if he never lets go betlittling your phone, maybe he's not one to hang out with, you know?

Yes, playful trash talking does exist. I do it to my friends. But when it comes down to it, I'll accept they chose that.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
So since the main point of this thread was nice little tid-bits about windows phone

So me and my friends like to go out to clubs, you know college girls whatever, like typical girls we like to take pictures of all of us, all my friends beside my neighbor (who owns a 920 and me an 8x) all have iphones (4 and 4s)
They start taking pictures and they either come out dark, granny, or over saturated...without a fail my friend takes out her 920, we take ONE picture, BAM perfect everyone loves it!
Would they ever consider switching, **** no! they're knee deep in love with their nothing-special iPhones

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
iPhone is a big status symbol for people...
I am a surgeon by profession and have many colleagues who have purchased iPhone because anything else would not match their status..most of them would not know any damn thing about its features or limitations

But I would agree with you iPhone is a great device in its own respect...unlike Samsung series which started off as cheap rip-off of iPhone to their current forms..

WP has threat from both the companies because either of them would not enjoy rise of this awesome platform..

Last edited:

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
So, I won't deny that I still look at the iPhone and think it looks neat. There's still potentially a chance of me switching over one day; I've had a iPod Touch before. But now I use ZunePass and Skydrive, manage all my music on that. I'm glad Microsoft is putting their stuff on other platforms, like iOS and Android. I seriously want Xbox Music to get on iOS Way sooner than later, so they can stop being a little less smug about rdio. I'm annoyed that I listen to techy podcasts, and some of them are still Apple fanboys. i.e. This is Only A Test. They're really good and stuff, but they're douches first, fanboys second. ~ But yea, I really liked that OP story.

Last edited:

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible, just maybe, that you imagined the part where the mom was being "smug"?

I hear this kind of crap all the time, yet in the real world I have NEVER seen a person who was "smug" about their iPhone. You can get an iPhone for $99 now and everyone has one. NO ONE THINKS THE IPHONE IS A STATUS SYMBOL ANYMORE. They haven't for a LONG TIME GUYS.

Whenever I hear a story like this, it's painfully obvious to me that the authors own sense of insecurity or blind hatred of the iPhone is coloring the narrative.

Get over it people. If you want to hate something, hate Android. Apple is not the one eating Windows Phone's lunch, it is ANDROID you should be worried about.

No one is smug about their damn iPhone. Let it go already. The Apple hate is so damn ridiculous.

IDK about anyone else, but in my corner of the corporate world you should see the iSmugness and iSuperiorityComplex.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
You must be from an awful place. I'm sorry. Because I'm from a third world country and heck even Apple product owners here don't act smug. They buy it because they like it. End of story.

Sorry, I don't remember ever saying that they don't like it. You must live in a very pleasant country, cause in America, non tech enthusiast people see Apple is elite and nothing is better than it and they will most certainly let anyone who says otherwise know!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It's easy to spot the wp users from the iphone users by who likes and thanks which post. :smile: Thank goodness there are plenty of both to go around.

elibohnert

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't you think those teens would want to have apps like Instagram, Snapchat, and iMessage? If all there friends have those apps and use them don't you think they would want to be able to communicate with there friends to with them?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't you think those teens would want to have apps like Instagram, Snapchat, and iMessage? If all there friends have those apps and use them don't you think they would want to be able to communicate with there friends to with them?

I'm a teen, and I don't give a **** about those apps. The only reason why I want those on windows phone (except iMessage, that's iOS only) is for windows phones success.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Lots of closet Apple fans here masquerading as Windowrs fans. Especially the ones from the Verge like Social carpet. Understandable though since the Verge was so pro Apple that I couldn't visit that site anymore.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Lots of closet Apple fans here masquerading as Windowrs fans. Especially the ones from the Verge like Social carpet. Understandable though since the Verge was so pro Apple that I couldn't visit that site anymore.

Alright now this is going too far. I will alert the mods to this thread.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
note: I have not read all 4 pages of this thread.

If you think iSmugness doesn't exist you've got your head up your arse.

Case in point: cases. EVERY apple case has a huge cutout so the logo can be seen. It's about that visibility, look what I have.
Case 2: the stupid stickers on cars, which people are STILL using.
Case 3: otherwise smart and professional people who get upset when you tell them, yes, there are viruses that attack Mac's and yes, there are well documented shortcomings.
Case 4: and someone already mentioned something similar. You have people who get snooty when their text doesn't "turn blue." I didn't even know what that meant. I have had people admit to feeling superior at that moment.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
man, a good story getting smacked because of a wrong turn in the thread, really too bad... this is why we can't have nice things (can't we just agree there are people who are "smug" and those that are not?)

Zinoka

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Emotional investment against something isnt stressful, it just becomes a part of who you are. I dislike lots of things and "nothing it" just seems wrong to me your sitting by and letting things slide. Put some emotion in and things take on purpose.

"It is purpose that guides us, that drive us, purpose that defines us" (Agent Smith - Matrix Reloaded 2003)

Without emotion and therefore purpose "nothing it" makes you nothing, you have no purpose.

What purpose is there to pointlessly investing yourself and giving credence to fanboyism if I emotionally invest in something it needs to be a worthwhile endeavor furthermore you don't know what kind of person I am so you really can't say I'm without purpose.

The last thing I have to say is that movie was awful and you should be ashamed for quoting it for any reason.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow, this thread took a nose dive. Personally, I talked my boss into buying an iPhone last fall, even though I'm rabid about Windows Phone. He's on Sprint, and didn't want to switch carriers, so I convinced him to get off the Virus Phone Android he was carrying. He's in banking for the love of all that is Holy - he shouldn't be carrying around a spy phone.

While yes, I have seen people who were smug about their iDevices, they're not that common, and a lot of people I know with Macs are also using whatever (Boot Camp?) to run Windows in the same machine. My personal opinion is that for the past few years, Apple has been a disappointment, but that's just MY opinion, and I don't expect everyone to share it, and I'm fine with that. Before that, while I've never owned an Apple product, I have used a few (a LONG time ago), and Apple is a company that I've looked to with respect - until their recent lack of innovation, that is.

Fact of the matter is that without competition, there would be little or no innovation. We want innovation, so we NEED competition. Another fact is that there is no phone, nor do I think there ever will be a phone, that makes everyone happy. Let's breed diversity, and thus innovation. If we're going to bash a phone ecosystem, let's bash the one that did an about face from "don't be evil." I've talked countless friends out of Androids. Most to Windows Phone, but a couple to iPhone. It doesn't bother me that someone else likes iPhone. That they bought it means that the ecosystem will survive, and competition will breed innovation.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I work in a private cell phone repair store and we sell lots of type of phones.

I see smugness and zealotry everyday as customers go in to buy their iPhones, Androids, BB or a WP

I never bash a product a customer wants even though secretly I want them to choose a WP device. They always show off their phone and how great all the features are and then ask what phone I use and I show them my L920Red, and how simple it is plants a seed in their mind that there are much better choices to choose from without bashing them.

I even have a friend who ABSOLUTELY LOVESSSSSSSSSS my phone but will only move over when there are more "media" contents for her to DL.

I'm still proud of my Red phone because everyone else is in a sea of black and white or greyish.

Love Hugs and Kisses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros