Response from Verizon support regarding Portico

wilks7

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I personally know the HTC tech support (over phone and email) and they don't know more than we do. I use to work at one of the only call centers for tech support and still talk to those people. This is why I am switching to ATT. Sprint had the same problem. I am tired of being second class citizens.

Maybe you can get HTC to move Verizon up in the pecking order for the next software update. So what does your HTC contacts say? does verizon have the update and just sitting on it? or is HTC still testing portico out before they cut it loose to verizon?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I wish Portico would hurry up and get here, but I'm confident we will get it. Verizon released every update available for the Trophy, including the update for the disappearing keyboard that AT&T didn't release for their WP devices. I think Microsoft needs to hurry up and release it to all carriers because WP8 is a bit buggy at the moment.
This. As bad as Verizon's support was with WP7, we did get every update. I have no doubt we'll get this one. But yes, I, too, wish the wait was shorter.

Supposedly, there is another update in the works. Code name: BLUE
Blue will be a shift from the every-three-years model that Microsoft has had for Windows, to an annual cycle, but will also tie the phone, the desktop, and the server together with "around the same time" updates.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Can someone direct me to a page or changelog that explains exactly what "Portico" is? I like my phone and I didn't know I was waiting on an update. What does this update do exactly? I ask because I see things posted that indicate people are willing to switch carriers over update delays. I just don't get what the phones are doing that people would cancel a contract and purchase another phone (thus ruining any chance of getting the update you were waiting for). I've had my phone late December I think and I've been pretty happy with it, minus a few bugs.

I agree that if a manufacturer makes an update available to that carrier, the carrier should test it and push it out to the owners. I hate how Verizon delayed updates to my Droid Incredible when I used it, but I eventually got them. But I never thought of cancelling service over it.

I'm really just curious about what I'm missing out on, cause I don't know the difference between Apollo, Portico, Mange, etc... The OS has its shortcomings, but I like it how it is. What's coming in the update?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Can someone direct me to a page or changelog that explains exactly what "Portico" is? I like my phone and I didn't know I was waiting on an update. What does this update do exactly? I ask because I see things posted that indicate people are willing to switch carriers over update delays. I just don't get what the phones are doing that people would cancel a contract and purchase another phone (thus ruining any chance of getting the update you were waiting for). I've had my phone late December I think and I've been pretty happy with it, minus a few bugs.

I agree that if a manufacturer makes an update available to that carrier, the carrier should test it and push it out to the owners. I hate how Verizon delayed updates to my Droid Incredible when I used it, but I eventually got them. But I never thought of cancelling service over it.

I'm really just curious about what I'm missing out on, cause I don't know the difference between Apollo, Portico, Mange, etc... The OS has its shortcomings, but I like it how it is. What's coming in the update?
Portico is the first minor update for Windows Phone 8. Technically, it includes some features and bug fixes, like any other update, so you should probably update your phone.
Apollo is the initial release of Windows Phone 8.

And, it's Mango, not Mange. You do realize that each codename ends with 'O', right. NoDo -> Mango -> Tango -> 7.8 -> 7.X | Apollo -> Portico -> 8.X

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
If they want to blame HTC, and claim they are just a dumb pipe like ISPs, then they need to act like a dumb pipe and let me do whatever the $#%* I want with my data. You can't play both sides of the fence

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you can get HTC to move Verizon up in the pecking order for the next software update. So what does your HTC contacts say? does verizon have the update and just sitting on it? or is HTC still testing portico out before they cut it loose to verizon?
The people i Know are tech support over the phone. They don't make those types of choices sadly. But that's what I was trying to say. Asking HTC would be asking them, and they don't know.

ikinal

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have any insight as to whether it is possible to manually update Windows Phone 8 devices like we could with the method for pushing out cabs to Windows Phone 7 devices?

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Portico is the first minor update for Windows Phone 8. Technically, it includes some features and bug fixes, like any other update, so you should probably update your phone.
Apollo is the initial release of Windows Phone 8.

And, it's Mango, not Mange. You do realize that each codename ends with 'O', right. NoDo -> Mango -> Tango -> 7.8 -> 7.X | Apollo -> Portico -> 8.X

LOL yes I do realize that. That was a typo (probably auto-corrected somehow because I know I intended to write "Mango") I only noticed it just now as I re-read my post prior to reading your response. I appreciate the response btw.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
In this case, I actually believe the Verizon rep. They do have more technology on their network for WP8 than other networks do. At present, they are the only ones sporting the DataSense capabilities. Perhaps it has something to do with that?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Verizon was always behind on WebOS updates as well, but they eventually came. I thinks it is dumb to switch carriers just because u don't have to wait an extra 30 days or so for an update.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
When the GS3 came out, Verizon locked the bootloader because they said unlocking it would compromise their network...then released a developer edition of the phone with an unlocked bootloader.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Verizon was always behind on WebOS updates as well, but they eventually came. I thinks it is dumb to switch carriers just because u don't have to wait an extra 30 days or so for an update.

What about 60 (which we're nearly single-digit days away from) or 90 days? What is the cutoff?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
What about 60 (which we're nearly single-digit days away from) or 90 days? What is the cutoff?

Good question. My phone works, the apps work, updates are nice and I wouldn't leave because everyone gets updates 90 days before me. Most updates aren't that important to me. Great reception is more important that updates. I guess its up to the individual.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Good question. My phone works, the apps work, updates are nice and I wouldn't leave because everyone gets updates 90 days before me. Most updates aren't that important to me. Great reception is more important that updates. I guess its up to the individual.

Your point on reception is very valid. FWIW, when the 2005 hurricane season hit South Florida, and there were weeks-long power outages, Verizon was _the only_ carrier that had backup generators on their towers. AT&T and Sprint users in my office had no service.

-E

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I believe many people really need the update and Verizon should actually work towards a better customer satisfaction. Just having a superb network doesn't mean much if customers are having problems with their phones

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I believe many people really need the update and Verizon should actually work towards a better customer satisfaction. Just having a superb network doesn't mean much if customers are having problems with their phones

I guess it depends on the update. I doubt most updates are "really need"ed. Probably 90% of Verizon customer don't even know there is an update available that Verizon hasn't released yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss