Response from Verizon support regarding Portico

SaucePolicy

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I thought my fellow Verizon users who are anxiously awaiting Portico would find this interesting:
Dear xxx,

I am so sorry to hear that you have been waiting for this update and have not received it! Thank you for your time and attention to contact us on the matter. My name is Anna and it is my pleasure to assist you today.

I am so sorry to let you know that at this time there is not a public launch date for this software version because it is still in final developing with the manufacturer to have it tailored to our network. As your advocate, I would like to detail how you can be sure to know about this update as soon as it?s available. You have the option to place a setting in your phone that will automatically notify you by following these steps on your device:

1. Go to Settings.
2. Choose Phone Update.
3. Select Check for Updates.
4. Enable the options called Tell me when updates are available for my device.
5. You can also select the second option, which will automatically download the update as long as your other data settings permit, (such as necessity to be on WiFi).

If you have already done this then I apologize for reiterating these steps. I can definitely understand your concern with waiting for so long for this update, as Verizon has been waiting as well. As a service provider we facilitate the disbursement of updates over our network but we do not develop the software. The device manufacturers develop all the software that is compatible with their devices, so it is HTC that releases your update. It is the same concept as having a computer that uses a Windows operating system by having your Internet service through Road Runner. When it is time to update your operating system it is Windows who develops the updates, not Road Runner.

These updates come out at different times for different service providers because the software must be tailored by the manufacturer to run on different types of network technologies. Verizon is sometimes left waiting longer for these updates due to the complexity of our technology which hand in hand is also the reason that our network is superior! I am so sorry for this delay and hope you will accept my humble apologies for the inconvenience. Please don?t hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

I would like to thank you again for reaching out to us with this inquiry, and for choosing Verizon Wireless! It has been my pleasure to assist you. Please enjoy the rest of your day!

Sincerely,
Anna
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

Bold added by me. Funny how she blames HTC for the delay because Verizon's network is so "superior". Her Windows/Road Runner comparison sort of falls apart when you think about it. Since when do Comcast subscribers get Windows updates before Road Runner users or vice versa? Oh right...they don't. They all have access to the update as soon as Microsoft releases it. So in one sentence they're saying "Oh we're just a simple dumb pipe, we have no control over it" and in the next saying "Our network is so complex and superior that it's taking longer to get the update out". :eck:

jdriscoll636

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
God bless AT&T, LMAO. Sorry to hear about your update woes. By sheer dumb luck I ditched Verizon before getting locked into a contract. I had a Galaxy Note 2 and an accounting error stiffed me on my pay check, which I attributed to adding my wife to my insurance play. So back went the Note 2. A couple days later I found the mistake and instead of going back to Verizon I went to AT&T and got my L920. Sorry for the long story, but I guess the point I'm trying to make is, some things in life are just out of your control. Just take your lumps were you get them, and try to avoid a cup check were possible.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Actually, their network is going to have the same Military coding and encryption Sprint has right now, and perhaps the CDMA coding fix is coming. Verizon took a gamble on allowing three WP8 devices which are undercoded (using China Mobile/ZTE based CDMA coding over the current Qualcomm/Verizon/Sprint coding and cell network encryption).

Go ahead, blame it on CDMA 2000 and FCC recommendations to improve cell network security and encryption (and have in mind GSM carriers have to meet new security recommendations as well)

wilks7

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
so to make it short and simple...as soon as Verizon recieves the Portico update from HTC they will push the update out. i don't think Verizon is sitting on the update.....no choice but to wait it out

contact HTC and see what their story is

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I wish Portico would hurry up and get here, but I'm confident we will get it. Verizon released every update available for the Trophy, including the update for the disappearing keyboard that AT&T didn't release for their WP devices. I think Microsoft needs to hurry up and release it to all carriers because WP8 is a bit buggy at the moment.

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I switched from sprint to Verizon because of their lack of windows phone support. (I had a sprint arrive and had to do all the updates with cab files). should I have gone to at&t?
does this mean nokia is also holding back on the update for the 822?? I doubt this story.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I haven't really followed Portico cause I originally thought it was for non Verizon phones (Idk why I would think that). What will Portico change for us Verizon 8xers?

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
which is probably why i'll switch to them instead of att from sprint (att and vz are the only carriers with signal where I live)
yeah it's tough sometimes where I live, Verizon was just a bit better than ATT but now I've hated being on Verizon with their god awful update delays on everything I have owned

EvilBagheadMan

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
The 8X update has been released on all other carrier, as well as all unbranded 8X, as well as all Lumia varients of the 820 (810, 820 and global 820). Don't tell me the manufacturers are sitting on this update... this is all Verizon.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
They were good with the updates on the Trophy, I just hope they can get WP8 updates out faster in the future than they are now.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Actually, their network is going to have the same Military coding and encryption Sprint has right now, and perhaps the CDMA coding fix is coming. Verizon took a gamble on allowing three WP8 devices which are undercoded (using China Mobile/ZTE based CDMA coding over the current Qualcomm/Verizon/Sprint coding and cell network encryption).

Go ahead, blame it on CDMA 2000 and FCC recommendations to improve cell network security and encryption (and have in mind GSM carriers have to meet new security recommendations as well)

I felt you were trying to say Huawei instead of China Mobile, right?

NELSON8x

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I think people are just bored of their phone and think the update is going to fix that.

Supposedly, there is another update in the works. Code name: BLUE

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
so to make it short and simple...as soon as Verizon recieves the Portico update from HTC they will push the update out. i don't think Verizon is sitting on the update.....no choice but to wait it outcontact HTC and see what their story is
I personally know the HTC tech support (over phone and email) and they don't know more than we do. I use to work at one of the only call centers for tech support and still talk to those people. This is why I am switching to ATT. Sprint had the same problem. I am tired of being second class citizens.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm going back to Sprint. I was with them for 9 and a half years until last March. Where I live in the Tri State Area (Central Jersey, half hour south of NYC) all the services are equal, and Sprints data speeds are faster than Verizons. As soon as my contract is up and there are some WP8s on Sprint, I'm going back.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
this was one of the reason i jumped to att from verizon.

i have a lumia 920 now and i expect it should be better supported now.
sad to hear about this though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb