Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. gmfeld's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
       #1  
    My live tiles used to work pretty well, subject to the limitation in settings on the number that can be "live". I've noticed over the last several days or week that most of them have stopped updating. All my weather app tiles, CNN, battery tile, weather on my lockscreen. I don't know whether this has anything to do with the Portico update, but it's clear that they were working and now they're not. I'm using the HTC 8X on AT&T.

    Any thoughts?
  2. philpeeps's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    #2  
    They stop working if you don't open the app in 14 days.

    Have you tried a soft reset?
  3. gmfeld's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    They stop working if you don't open the app in 14 days.

    Have you tried a soft reset?
    I've opened all these apps in 14 days. Pretty much every day.
    Is a "soft reset" turning the phone off and on? If so, I've done that a number of times.
  4. philpeeps's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmfeld View Post
    I've opened all these apps in 14 days. Pretty much every day.
    Is a "soft reset" turning the phone off and on? If so, I've done that a number of times.
    Please list what apps you have unblocked as background tasks.
  5. #5  
    Clear IE history & reset with vol down + power, let go immediately on vibrate tho
  6. gmfeld's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    Please list what apps you have unblocked as background tasks.
    live-tiles-1.jpg
    live-tiles-2.jpg
  7. philpeeps's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    #7  
    Do you really use 4 weather apps? 5 if you count the HTC hub? Block some of those first.

    Are there others in the list that you don't need to allow to run in the background? Tap each one, read the description of the background task and disable any you think you don't need.

    Do that, soft reset and see how it goes. If there are some you disabled that you would like to use, enable them one by one and see how performance is.
  8. gmfeld's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    Do you really use 4 weather apps? 5 if you count the HTC hub? Block some of those first.

    Are there others in the list that you don't need to allow to run in the background? Tap each one, read the description of the background task and disable any you think you don't need.

    Do that, soft reset and see how it goes. If there are some you disabled that you would like to use, enable them one by one and see how performance is.
    Thanks for the suggestion, will try and see how it goes. Thing is I've always had all those weather apps, and most everything else on there, and the tiles were working fine until recently.
  9. woodsielord's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #9  
    Same here with me on Lumia 920. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. Portico didn't fix it.

    Live tiles for anything other than Phone, Me, Messages, and Mail don't work. They only refresh after I go in an app. And I only have two activated: Microsoft Weather and Battery Tile. I even replaced battery tile with another app named Battery. That doesn't work either.

    What led me to realize this failure to refresh in its full extent was the Bing lockscreen wallpaper. It started lagging behind my desktop Bing. Now I have to refresh it through lockscreen settings everyday. Kinda beats the purpose.

    What to do? I really cannot afford the time to do a hard reset again.
  10. gmfeld's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
       #10  
    Same with me. Everything had been working fine, and now they don't. No idea why the change? Portico? Or did I download some app or update that messed everything up? If I do a soft reset I won't lose everything, will I?
  11. philpeeps's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    #11  
    soft rest = hold vol down + power
    hard reset = factory reset (lose all apps/settings)
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    soft rest = hold vol down + power
    hard reset = factory reset (lose all apps/settings)
    This is wrong. vol down & power forces a soft reset, unless you hold it indefinitely after the vibrate. But vol down + power is what you should do if your phone freezes.

    The issue in this thread happened to many people, myself included. My suggestion fixed it for all of us...
  13. gmfeld's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez Jr. View Post
    This is wrong. vol down & power forces a soft reset, unless you hold it indefinitely after the vibrate. But vol down + power is what you should do if your phone freezes.

    The issue in this thread happened to many people, myself included. My suggestion fixed it for all of us...
    Pardon me if I'm not getting this, but I did the soft reset=hold volume down and power until the phone starts to vibrate, and that gets me to a "normal" power off screen "Slide down to power off", which I did. So did I do a soft reset?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmfeld View Post
    Pardon me if I'm not getting this, but I did the soft reset=hold volume down and power until the phone starts to vibrate, and that gets me to a "normal" power off screen "Slide down to power off", which I did. So did I do a soft reset?
    Per WinPhoneSupport, that should work on all devices. Possibility that they're wrong. I know it works on the 920, but don't own an 8X. Clear the IE history, & then do whatever button combo forces a soft reset.
  15. gmfeld's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez Jr. View Post
    Per WinPhoneSupport, that should work on all devices. Possibility that they're wrong. I know it works on the 920, but don't own an 8X. Clear the IE history, & then do whatever button combo forces a soft reset.
    I did all that with no change. Then Deleted all my podcast subscriptions, and unpinned and repinned tiles. Nothing working. Sucks. I do not want to do a hard reset.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmfeld View Post
    I did all that with no change. Then Deleted all my podcast subscriptions, and unpinned and repinned tiles. Nothing working. Sucks. I do not want to do a hard reset.
    it'll take a while after that method, what I do is turn all background tasks off & back on, then clear, then reset, & don't touch my phone for 30 min to an hour.

    Seems like opening the tiles makes it worse. I once had to try this method 6 times throughout the day until it finally worked
  17. gmfeld's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez Jr. View Post
    it'll take a while after that method, what I do is turn all background tasks off & back on, then clear, then reset, & don't touch my phone for 30 min to an hour.

    Seems like opening the tiles makes it worse. I once had to try this method 6 times throughout the day until it finally worked
    It's been suggested to me over at Windows Phone Support by at least one user that I'll need to do a hard reset. Ugh.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmfeld View Post
    It's been suggested to me over at Windows Phone Support by at least one user that I'll need to do a hard reset. Ugh.
    Do what you wish, but this has happened to me three times, once because of Portico, & twice due to Bluetooth crashes - my solution fixed it all times. Search these forums & you'll find others using that method
  19. gmfeld's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
       #19  
    Had to do the hard reset, live tiles now working.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM
  2. Twitter live tile that shows latest tweets on timeline?
    By nico002 in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 11:24 AM
  3. Windows Live Messenger Profile Picture Not Updating on Phone
    By pickled_lemur in forum Nokia Lumia 800
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 09:23 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-22-2012, 12:53 PM

Posting Permissions