Please fix multi-tasking!

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I must agree with the OP here. When I get a new text message, I find myself long pressing the back button to see what conversations I got going, instead of the message tile.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree with OP. This behavior has pissed be off since Mango first came out... it's so wasteful considering the limit on multitasking cards. Normally it doesn't matter, but I hate having a game automatically closed because I have multiple cards being taken by the same conversation. I can't understand how this wasn't rectified for WP8.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
what on earth are you talking about? Where did I say I interrupt writing a message? I see a message and I press start to go home. I get another message, I press the toast, read it and then press start to go home again. This ends up taking two messaging slots in the multi-tasking menu.

sorry, I misunderstood it then. But yes, this is intended, folloqing microsoft, you can now answer the first message, press the back button to get to the second, etc. I think this is how it should be from them.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
This is where I've seen it:

When you get an SMS from someone, use to the toast notification to open it. Reply, then hit the home button. When they reply, hit the toast notification, reply, and hit home. Do that a few times, then long-press the back button. You'll see multiple windows/instances/whatever of that conversation, each from just before you pressed the home button.

yeah, and that's why you should press the back button when you don't want it in your tray.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can't you just after sending instead of hitting the home button use the back button?

Totally. And I do, most of the time. That doesn't fix the problem, though, nor does it change the fact that there is a problem. Might as well stick your fingers in your ears, close your eyes, and shout "LALALALALALALALALALALALALA!" every time someone mentions it.

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Multitasking does seem a bit broken, i have a few apps that leave multiple windows open in multitasking...instead of the just the last window i used in the app; an X close box to shut down an app would be a big time saver.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Multitasking does seem a bit broken, i have a few apps that leave multiple windows open in multitasking...instead of the just the last window i used in the app; an X close box to shut down an app would be a big time saver.

Adding "X to close" is an even worse suggestion than saying "just use the back button". Both are workarounds for a problem that simply shouldn't exist in the first place.

While technically incorrect to say "multitasking is broken", I completely agree with the OP that MS completely screwed up here. It seems as if these apps are directly manipulating the task switcher's contents. At least I can't identify any more general rule.

@Microsoft
Keep it simple and consistent. For every app at most one entry in the task switcher, even for MS' own apps!

Voted.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit