Do you think Windows Phone Blue will solve all the problems?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

M.O. is short for Modus Operandi, it means "a particular way of doing things"

Police and courts use this term to describe criminal activity, for example if they are tracking a serial killer and he always pours a bowl of cereal over his victims heads and kills them with the spoon, that would be his M.O.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Solve all the problems for who? No company or device will EVER solve all the problems for every person.

By the way Blue would be a major update, and it looks like Microsoft is going to do big annual updates across all platforms from server all the way down to the phone. This does not mean that you will not get updates like Portico during the year.

Levin Braganza

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Why are people cribbing about Instagram??...I feel Lomogram is a good alternative as to Instagram!..I am not an avid Instagram user, but I see that it's pretty good in whatever it's meant to do..:)

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why are people cribbing about Instagram??...I feel Lomogram is a good alternative as to Instagram!..I am not an avid Instagram user, but I see that it's pretty good in whatever it's meant to do..:)

Instagram is a social network that also happens to put filters on photos. People want it on their phones for the same reason they want Facebook, G+, Twitter, etc - because their friends and "friends" use these networks, and they feel left out if they can't have access to it when they're on the go. All major social networks need to be on Windows Phone 8 before it has a chance of switching the masses.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
M.O. is short for Modus Operandi, it means "a particular way of doing things"

Police and courts use this term to describe criminal activity, for example if they are tracking a serial killer and he always pours a bowl of cereal over his victims heads and kills them with the spoon, that would be his M.O.

Ever thought of scripting a few C.S.I. type episodes in spare time? I think, there is a creative genius within.

ppavlov

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Isnt it strange that Skype (a Microsoft company) app works better on Android and iOS then WP8. I think MS need to gain dynamics, such a slow development will lead a good OS as WP8 to grave.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Isnt it strange that Skype (a Microsoft company) app works better on Android and iOS then WP8. I think MS need to gain dynamics, such a slow development will lead a good OS as WP8 to grave.

I am thinking/hoping the Skype we end up seeing will be integrated into the OS once Messenger goes away. I think we are seeing a stop gap Skype at this moment, and whether it be Blue or just through a Skype app update I am thinking skype will be pushed into the people hub.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Not true, WP8 made some pretty big and necessary steps to achieve parity with iOS and Android.

Like what? I'm not talking about under the hood stuff. That's good and all, but user-facing features are almost completely unchanged. Rooms... Cool, but only really useful with other windows phone users. Kids Corner... Cool, but only affects people with kids. I love windows phone 8, but where's the orientation lock? Notification center? Built in turn by turn navigation? Synergy with Windows 8? Android and iOS are still much more mature platforms, and I can't wait for MS to grow their mobile OS.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it will solve some glaring problems. It will bring about better unity with Windows 8, it will improve the XBOX Music and games across the board, and it will come to WP8 devices in a quick and timely manner. It will also be stable, it will be smooth, and as Windows 8 becomes the standard across the computing world, and the XBOX outsells the Playstation 3, WP will benefit from these successes and sell like hot yummy cakes over the Holidays 2013.

These Rose Colored Glasses rock. I suggest everyone gets a pair....

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
think they need to release bug fixes and fine tuning as it becomes available, not necessarily on some kind of pre-determined schedule.
Yeah, that works freaking great, doesn't it? Portico randomly released for one device on one carrier in early December, unlocked devices receive it almost two months later, 46% of WP8 devices still without it. Microsoft can't release stuff "as it becomes available" because it clearly doesn't have the organisational chops to do so. A pre-determined schedule means Microsoft and its partners can prepare for it and have a unified launch. You know, like with Mango.

Like what? I'm not talking about under the hood stuff.
Why? The app ecosystem is what is bogging Windows Phone down and improving and expanding the capabilities of apps is incredibly important. You now have background VoIP so you can receive Skype calls without keeping the app open, you have background navigation so you can do other tasks on your phone while still getting directions, you have the ability to resume apps from their tiles, you have native code so Windows Phone has the ability reach gaming parity with Android & iOS.

That's good and all, but user-facing features are almost completely unchanged.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone_version_history#Windows_Phone_8
And it doesn't even cover all the changes.

youre forgetting mango
I was listing minor releases, Mango was the major update of 2011.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
In a way it seems like a Microsoft philosophy - come out with a well thought out idea with a nice foundation...
...then sit on it.

A few things need to happen here.
- Aggressive updates and feature revisions. None of this "Yeah, I know you guys want customized alerts, but we've decided to give you this new feature instead." Let's face it, the mobile computing platform is a monster and MSFT has to step on the gas to get ahead of the curve.
- Get serious with the market. I'd love to see Balfiore hold a presser and say "WP8 is not doing as well as it should and we're done pissing around. Here's the new Surface phone. The sound you hear is Apple and Android ****ting bricks."
- Buy a Surface Pro, get a Windows Phone free.
- None of this "Golly gee folks, instagram (or whatever app) is coming, honest." crap. Go to the developer and ask them point blank if their developing for WP or not. Throw incentive at them. If they're still on the fence, develop something better, and give them the finger as you leave the meeting.
- For the love of God, drop pricing. Premium means bupkis if no one is buying your product.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that works freaking great, doesn't it? Portico randomly released for one device on one carrier in early December, unlocked devices receive it almost two months later, 46% of WP8 devices still without it. Microsoft can't release stuff "as it becomes available" because it clearly doesn't have the organisational chops to do so. A pre-determined schedule means Microsoft and its partners can prepare for it and have a unified launch. You know, like with Mango..

That's a good point.

However...I don't think anyone other than Apple can push out OS updates to every device on the same day.

There are a lot of variables with Windows Phone and Android. Different OEMs, different carriers.

If you insisted on making it the same day for everyone, I'll tell you exactly what would happen, whichever OEM or carrier was going to be ready LAST would be the one that would determine the launch date.

It might make everyone feel better to know it's going to happen on a certain date, but we'd ALL be waiting longer instead of only some of us waiting longer than others.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I think Windows Phone should have a major update every 8 minutes on the 8th month starting on the 8th. . . and my favorite color is green, so no blue won't solve everything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte